The Bayou Gardener Family
Maggie13

How I grow Beets!

A beet seed is actually a cluster that can contain up to 6 seeds so I do NOT direct seed beets. I start them in seedling trays once a tray has been planted in the garden I reseed and start again: Can never have too many beets at our house.

i-WCZPcVp.jpg

IF you are very careful and gently pull the extra thread seedlings you can simply make a hole in another tray filled with starter mix and it WILL grow.

Once the seedling have reached a decent size with a good root:

i-2rDcTtM.jpg

I transplant them into my prepared beds in  the High Tunnel 3" on center.

i-pS2vwtM.jpg

i-bgtD6vF.jpg

NO WEEDING and NO THINNING!
 shappy_runaround_100-100.gif

i-PVC4PRG.jpg

i-tV6KF4m.jpg

Edited by Maggie13
needed to amend to plain text
  • Like 5

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Good Tips Maggie!!

FYI.. When you copy text from a different forum most of the time it also copies the background color like the blue from BG. If you highlight the text and then click "Paste as plain text instead" at the bottom above the "Drag file here" it will post without the background color.

• Thanks 1

Don't you watch TV, beets are a super food. That is if you believe what you see on TV.

But I like beets anyway.

"gene"

• Like 1

Maggie13,

EXCELLENT PICTORIAL TUTORIAL!

Girl, I am sooooooooooooooo glad you're over here, LOL!  I'm about to start my beets indoors, too.  My process is just about the same, except, I don't have the drip irrigation in place --- YET!!!  I have two kits brand new in boxes in the garage, for the past 5-6 years.  It's long overdue to install those lines.

I might be calling on you to guide me through installation.

Loved an image "No Weeding!!!"

P.S.  Did you thin them out in the seed tray first, or pull them apart when you transplanted them in?  I am moving my heart toward thinning in trays.  Especially after potting up all those tomatoes and broccoli seedlings.  It's getting to be more trouble to separate them, and, it takes longer recovery time once they're potted in individual cups.

Edited by Gymgirl

I will be trying this soon, in September which is my time to start beets.  Will be my first time trying this method. With direct seeding I always get a lot of skips, who knows this may become my normal way

Bob

Edited by bigboberta

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

9 hours ago, Gymgirl said:

P.S.  Did you thin them out in the seed tray first, or pull them apart when you transplanted them in?  

I thin them as soon as more than one appear in the seedling tray cell. I have yet to loose any. I just create a hole in a new cell with a chopstick or pencil and insert the thread root. They are very hardy 

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Maggie13,

So, you're not snipping heads to thin?  You're transplanting to a new cell?  KEWL!!!

Maggie,

Are those Bull's Blood or Detroit Dark Reds in your pic?

I used to direct plant the seeds but I really am not fond of thinning or weeding.This eliminates both for the most part

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

There is another method! I have been following Sir Charles Dowdings method of multi sowing and fine I like it quite a bit. It works good if you like to go to the garden and pick a meal, using beet root/greens throughout the growing season. I have been putting as many as 6 seed in each modual of a 72 count 1020 and find it just right to pick on throughout the year. I also like to start another tray in late July or August for fall beets. Didn't get around to that this year though!

Wade

• Like 1

Maggie13,

Beet separation will begin this weekend!!!  I have a tray I seeded last Tuesday, and definitely have multiples in each cell (duh.)  But, I anticipated trying your way, and purposely left some cells unseeded to accommodate the separators.

Will report success, when it happens!

pat morita nod GIF

• Like 1

Oh, just now realizing how that read....LOL!!  I have been married for 48 yrs....ha, I had BETTER love him!!!!

• Like 1

Like learning about comma's in the 3rd. grade.

Let's eat Grandma!

Let's eat, Grandma!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

The better half informs me yesterday that she would like me to put in a second crop of beets, as she has discovered that she loves them roasted and I "waste" them all on pickles... lol

So, we have a window for planting spring beets starting 1/15 in my zone so I'm going to start a tray of them tonight.  I've always direct sown them but Maggie's look so great I'm going to give it a shot using her method.  I'll post up the results. 

@Boudin

Starting beets in a tray works really well. Just transplant them before they get too big. I like doing it that way because I can see how many actually germinated, and I can get the spacing right in the garden.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

26 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

@Boudin

Starting beets in a tray works really well. Just transplant them before they get too big. I like doing it that way because I can see how many actually germinated, and I can get the spacing right in the garden.

iagree.gifIt is perfect for getting your spacing right.

I do 3" on center when I transplant them into the raised bed!

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY