The Bayou Gardener Family
woodchip gardener

what's the weather like where you are?

Early Sunday morning we had 6.5" fall which wipe out the deficit for the year. Had 2.5 feet of water in the street in front of the house about 4 in the morning but it was all gone by daybreak. Today I had to put the sprinkler on my peas and okra. It was bone dry already.

"gene"

• Like 2

Been a nice day here. We need a good soaking rain for a couple days without any severe weather with it. We’ve had more wind that I can remember having for a long time for this time of year. 

• Like 3

3" in the last 2 days. Now back to a mud hole. My grass is 15" tall. Too wet to cut.

• Sad 2

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Clear, hot and muggy today. Already 86 degrees at 11:30. At least clear til now. Yesterday was nice til mid afternoon. Thunderstorms and high winds moved in from about 3 thru 7:30  Power out 7:40-11:20. Went out to garden last night while power was out and squash laying on sides again. 

• Sad 3

I think your squash wil perk back up. Ol hippie. A mess of those would sure be good . 😉  We are getting a thundershower right now but no wind thankfully.

• Like 2

Nice day right now....unpredictable tho everyday.  Been trying to get irrigation tape more accurately set and doing some weeding. Will  finish some  in there and also in the front yard. Phlox needs trimming , bugs/spiders need spraying,etc so hope the nice weather lasts for awhile.

• Like 2

We just got another pounding. Hard rain and 30+ mph wind. Easing up some now. 

• Like 1

Nice again this morning. At 7:45 it’s clear and 70 degrees. 

• Like 2

Beautiful right now. 74 and sunny. We are supposed to be sunny and warming up as the week goes on. Think 90f for wednesday.  Rain comes back next weekend but we will need it by then.

• Like 1

Will be 82 degrees today and sun. They are saying no more rain til next Thurs or Friday....not that I believe them anymore, but it WOULD be nice. That way we could finally finish up in the yard and garden for awhile. Will spray my tiny crowders with Neem this evening...they always get a little "holey" right at first. Will replant the bush beans that never germinated....ha, with the same seed source. Am I crazy!! Oh well, these beans were just an experiment to see if I liked and I have plenty seeds left. Will just plant a few to check at first. A ton of other stuff to do so do hope for once the weather people are right for a change.

• Like 1

Well, I was listening to BPearthwatch and it looks like a storm is brewing in the Gulf ya'll.   It looks like trouble's possible from Houston to  possibly Mobile .  Everyone get prepared - just in case... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Was in the 80s and muggy here today. Finally broke loose and rained around 5pm for about half an hours. I was out most of the day so glad for the rain. I didnt water my containers this morning so they needed the drink.

• Like 2

Looks like thunderstorms for the next few days, then high winds, 50 mph+ for a few days. Yay!

I hate mosquitoes.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Had a bad thunderstorm yesterday evening. Very strong winds . Tree tops broken  on a couple of trees and even blew my tomatoes very hard. I had just retied them that morning but see green tomatoes laying on the landscape material. It also beat the jeepers out of my squash- not the rain but the wind.    

Eveyone be careful out there  and get ready for the storms coming. 

• Sad 3

Was 95* and dry. Preparing for the storm due tomorrow. I am 100 miles from the coast so not expecting a lot of wind but depending on what side of the storm, could be a lot of rain.

• Like 3

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Yep, hate to see my corn lodge and tomatoes split, was having a good weather year up till now.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Wow, we still havent had rain here, but 16 miles away we got dumped on at friends place. 

@PawPaw "gene" I guess y'all are right in the cross hairs on this one, hope y'all dont get too much water.

Edited by MPHymel
  • Like 2

Rain, all day, most of the night. 4 + inches and still falling and more to come. 

Us too, corn still standings though, pics attached, don't mind the weeds, they live there, the vegetables plants are just visiting. 

20200607_180424.jpg

20200607_180431.jpg

• Like 2

rain gauge overflowed at 6+ inches this morning. still raining. Pole bean trellis failed, will have to re-stake later. a few peppers and maters are leaning to the west. (my weeds are doing just fine)

• Sad 2

Slow rain all day. Ended up with 1.7", a lot less then expected. 

The garden was fresh tilled and had no wash out. It needed it. Still drizzling this morning with .1" on the gage overnight.

• Like 2

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

8 inches of rain so far.  Still raining.  

• Sad 2

Still windy, sun peeped out once but cloudy still.  As I was stooped over and looking at my onions, I heard the sweek of tiny baby birds.. they were on the ground and a female scarlet tanger  was looking really upset. I went and grabbed a little basket with a tad of pine straw then placed them in in and tied it to a limb on the tree by them. The tiny things squeaked and here she came - went into the basket. I hope my job is finished there.  God is sure amazing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bordercollie said:

Still windy, sun peeped out once but cloudy still.  As I was stooped over and looking at my onions, I heard the sweek of tiny baby birds.. they were on the ground and a female scarlet tanger  was looking really upset. I went and grabbed a little basket with a tad of pine straw then placed them in in and tied it to a limb on the tree by them. The tiny things squeaked and here she came - went into the basket. I hope my job is finished there.  God is sure amazing.

Wow, Judy....that is wonderful. Know Mama appreciates your kind heart and efforts.🥰

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you . 🙂 I was so very grateful when I went just now to spy on the setup and saw the adult birds coming and going. My job iss done. No more touching them. 

You never know if they will accept it, but they squeaking will sure call a mama to the little one in most cases.  I once tried it with some baby raincrows I found after a storm. I noticed these grown birds out under the cedar tree after a storm and they were upset. Later they flew off and a little thought came to me to go and see. There were 2 little naked birds and a tossed saucer shaped nest. I put them in a basket  on a limb and watched but theadults  didn't come back. That night after I was positive, I went out there and got them out of the tree basket and got them warm in the house. Then I got a can of shredded wet catfood (it looked like short matchsticks)  and washed off the gravy then offered it to the opened mouths.  A shred at a time and only about 2 small pieces that night. . , dipped them in a little water so that only a drop was left and offered it.Later it was  the soft cricket pieces  They eventually grew up and were able to fly off. I  built a flight cage outside so they could adjust before having to fend for themselves.  I' did rehab a lot of birds years ago  but am really glad when I don't have to because they think they're human after imprinting and makes it hard for them  later. 

edit.. Never gave them water that they could not drink by themselves, only water  I offered was a drop on the  cricket body.etc...   They drown really easily . 

Edited by bordercollie
add information
  • Like 1