Bayou Gardener Family

what's the weather like where you are?

A+  Rabbitproof .  I agree with you !!!   

I hope your heater's  fixed by now.  If not eat more of those grits and drink lots of coffee !!  🙂 . 

The thermocouple went out on the wall heater in Ark so I took a heating pad when I went over to see about the roofing,  along with another thermocouple . I  fixed it  so slept warm . The heating pad was unused thankfully.  ( Makes a good footwarmer too . 😉 .)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, bordercollie said:

A+  Rabbitproof .  I agree with you !!!   

I hope your heater's  fixed by now.  If not eat more of those grits and drink lots of coffee !!  🙂 . 

The thermocouple went out on the wall heater in Ark so I took a heating pad when I went over to see about the roofing,  along with another thermocouple . I  fixed it  so slept warm . The heating pad was unused thankfully.  ( Makes a good footwarmer too . 😉 .)

Judy...the  heater part did not come in so still padding around here in a little too much apparel. It got to 32 last night so not too bad.  Will be MUCH  warmer outside today,too.Ha, a regular heatwave...high 50's...how timely for me!!👍 House has hung mostly at 61 or 62  during the day...I can handle that easily. Think I will still make those grits again, even tho I am adjusting to the lowered temps now....dont ever need much excuse to make a huge pot of grits. One of my very favorite things life. I buy  ground organic grits in Knoxville at an organic grocery store that they get from a local farmer (local to them can mean within 150 miles)....no par boiled Quaker Oats grits  for me in years.. Boy,are those  grits good! Only prob is the confinement today...guy will come when the part comes in....IF the part gets in!!!😬

• Like 1

I sure hope it's fixed now Rabbitproof !!  That cold stuff is on the way. If it's not fixed, Maybe get an electric heater and pray the power stays on.  Those things work fairly good for a room and well, I just hope that the part comes in !!!    Or maybe keepa  big pot of soup cooking on the stove.  God bless ya'll !!!  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bordercollie said:

I sure hope it's fixed now Rabbitproof !!  That cold stuff is on the way. If it's not fixed, Maybe get an electric heater and pray the power stays on.  Those things work fairly good for a room and well, I just hope that the part comes in !!!    Or maybe keepa  big pot of soup cooking on the stove.  God bless ya'll !!!  

Yay, Judy, we have heat...ha, but  today outside  will be 65 big degrees. Crazy hot for here right now!! Part got put on at 6pm last night.  I did finally go get a oil filled space heater...worked well. Oh well, I may need it in the future. Am now addicted to grits for lunch...LOL!!!

• Haha 1

Well, what’s the old saying? “Thunder is February gets you a frost in March”.

We have had lots of thunder off and on all day along with some lightning this evening so I guess we’ll have a frost in March. It’s supposed to get down in the teens on Monday night and I can’t recall the last time that’s happened in zone 9. 

I would guess that many of you north are of here are having some frigid temperatures over the next few nights so bundle up everybody.

• Like 3

We had thunder and lightening today also.  So weird.

Yesterday I heard thunder to the south of us all day long. I almost thought it was someone blowing up beaver dams.  It was very unusual- just coming from the same area for half the day. It's so wet and getting colder and colder over the next few days- I feel really bad for the cows. They aren't use to such around here.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Double B said:

Well, what’s the old saying? “Thunder is February gets you a frost in March”.

We have had lots of thunder off and on all day along with some lightning this evening so I guess we’ll have a frost in March. It’s supposed to get down in the teens on Monday night and I can’t recall the last time that’s happened in zone 9. 

I would guess that many of you north are of here are having some frigid temperatures over the next few nights so bundle up everybody.

April

• Like 1

-31 this morning. I supposed it can only warm up. Glad this is going to end on Monday. Everything changes at these temperatures.

13 hours ago, bordercollie said:

I feel really bad for the cows.

I looked at them standing in a snow covered pasture this morning on my way to work. They either don't really seem to notice, or they are just resigned to deal with it.

Like my dogs. They act like there is no difference between -20 and +40.

• Like 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
35 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

While I am not a dog, I can tell the difference between 32* and 31*........I cannot imagine living in minus 31* temps....I just can't....I turned on the heat after I read your post....A picture of a snowbank makes me shiver....Gosh, I wouldn't survive 24 hours up there....Hell, I keep an electric blanket on me at night until July and thats not a joke

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 2010 National Champs said:

I wouldn't survive 24 hours up there

You get used to it. You learn how to dress for it, etc. It gets old sometimes, but the rest of the year is glorious here. Keeps some of the riff-raff out also.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Here are the temps at my house from midnight to current. You can tell when the sun came out. Heater not yet running in the propagation room. I will turn it on Tuesday. it will then be 75 degrees all the time.

todaytemps.png

• Sad 2
7 hours ago, BigSkyGardener said:

-31 this morning. I supposed it can only warm up. Glad this is going to end on Monday. Everything changes at these temperatures.

I looked at them standing in a snow covered pasture this morning on my way to work. They either don't really seem to notice, or they are just resigned to deal with it.

Years and years ago , before we had a closed herd, We bought some  registered angus cows from up your way Big Sky. One, we called the Princess cow. she had  short frost bit ears and a short tail too. But she was still a big cow fat cow..  We did buy another last Spring from Montana and kept her segregated , did blood tests 2x and she is in good health ...  she is still segregated as of now because she cost so much. I feel bad for our cows  because the ground is so wet that they have no dry place to lay down.   That also means that their hooves have destroyed  much of their grass. In 2 weeks things will probably be greening up though.   🙂   We're all glad you are here with us Big Sky !!  🙂  We can whine for ourselves and thn we see what you have to deal with.. wait to summer and the conditions will be reversed. 

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well there s no more mud just frozen ground.    That means  feeding the cows early today and will put out some light food this evening. We're going to have to make our feed last because our 2 semi truck loads that were coming on Fri/Sat were delayed and the roads will be too bad for more  till at least mid week.   We don't use big hay bales. It wouldn't be a problem but for the reason that during the AI season we have our registered cows about 120 confined near the barn pastures so that we can get them up to AI .  Our 70 + commercial cows  are down the road, as are the  registered bulls  that we sell (about 48 of them ) and can graze more easily in addition to the feed we give them.  

I have the peacocks  in their enclosed house and will just have to take out warm water to them today. The ancient cat has the insulated ice chest with a  pet type heating  pad  so I think she will be ok . She is sort of senile and refuses to come inside or she will have a hissy fit.  I named her Brato over  20 years ago because she was a spoiled brat and still is. Piping is secure I hope but 8 degrees ???   we will have to see.... Ya'll be safe out there.   judy

• Like 4

Got some ice but not much. I think we are right on the edge of it. I was worried about my electric blanket not working if the power went out. How in the hogjowl hell do you yankees live in that shit?...I'll take these high humidity 100* days down here anytime. It just went about 32* because I see the ice on the rose bushes has started melting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently 16 degrees here and snowing. A rare occurrence for zone 9 for sure. I hate it. So far our power is still on ( knock on wood) but many around us are experiencing rolling blackouts. Why Texas does not have an adequate infrastructure to support us is beyond me. There is more commercial and residential construction going on here and it makes me wonder how in the world they plan on powering all of that? The new green deal??? I guess all of the new administration that doesn't want petroleum products should turn their power off now because the wind turbines can't turn and the solar panels are covered with snow. SMH😡

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, Double B said:

I guess all of the new administration that doesn't want petroleum products should turn their power off now because the wind turbines can't turn and the solar panels are covered with snow. SMH

Just another scam to enrich their own asses and provide for big corporations to turn over excess profits when oil hits $120 per barrel. Every politician in Washington should be made to experience what soldiers experience during battle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is 4 degrees here in West Arkansas now with a wind chill of -4. We got about 6” of snow overnight but it looks as if it is moving out now. The eastern part of the state is supposed to get up to 10”.  AND there is another 6 inches or so predicted for us for Tuesday.

We still have power but are expecting the “rolling blackouts” for the next few days. I have plenty of wood for the fireplace so we should stay warm regardless. This is no fun but I’m sure glad I’m not milking cows!!!  (grew up on a dairy farm)

Stay safe folks. Spring is getting closer every day!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One advantage to living where it gets this cold all the time is that the infrastructure that is in place is very good. I have never had a power failure in the cold. Only very occasionally with high winds. If it does go out it usually only lasts minutes. If you don't pay your bill in the winter they cannot turn your power off. At least until it warms up. Looks like it is about over here. Going to go back to the 30's and 40's for a few weeks.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Double B said:

Currently 16 degrees here and snowing. A rare occurrence for zone 9 for sure. I hate it. So far our power is still on ( knock on wood) but many around us are experiencing rolling blackouts. Why Texas does not have an adequate infrastructure to support us is beyond me. There is more commercial and residential construction going on here and it makes me wonder how in the world they plan on powering all of that? The new green deal??? I guess all of the new administration that doesn't want petroleum products should turn their power off now because the wind turbines can't turn and the solar panels are covered with snow. SMH😡

My brother in Kingwood,Tx sent a pic of the snow...so weird to get a pic like that from him.  He has not mentioned any problems with electricity so guess they are ok on that front.

• Like 3

I don't have a clue as to why anyone would like to live up north. Especially like Big Sky does. There could be great benefits to living out in the woods of Montana. Two I can think of is mosquitos and a lack of people not like you. My blood would turn to jelly the very first night it hit 0*. Ever since chemo, I cannot tolerate temperatures that get out of a range from say 30* to 90* and I try to time stuff to be during the time of year that is not a bit on the excessive side. This is really the first time in a good while that I have had to deal with the cold.

Speaking of cold. I have two outside cats, Scooby and Crippled Lucy, and they stay in the utility room at the end of the carport. It is not connected to the house with a door, but the water lines come from under the house to it because of the washing machine and hot water heater, so there is an opening to under the house and the cats can go under there if it gets too cold. I have foundation vents that I never check and of course they are rusted and froze up when I decided to close them to make sure that the under-the-house stays warm for pipes and cats. So, I took some cardboard boxes and cut 14 3/4 inch by 8 inch pieces to put over them. Great idea, cheap and easy, but the problem is that its raining and sleeting and when I  bent over to pack the cardboard over the vent opening the water coming off of the roof hit me right in the butt. I had no choice because its supposed to do this until after 4 pm, so I bit the bullet and kept going. There are more vents than I thought,too. I finally had to give it up until I warmed up but I still have 2 more to go and I am running out of excuses to stay here where its warm. I was not made for this. I was made for bikini weather, not rubbing noses and dog sled weather.

Aight, I got it done but the last vent was right in the middle of a knockout rose bush that should have already been cut back. I got the cutters and cut off the limbs without regard of whether it will be symmetrical or not. If there is a problem with symmetry, I can fix it with my new Husquvarna chainsaw, right at the ground. Believe it or not, I got the vent covered and with no blood being shed. It may be the first time in my life that I got near a rose bush and did not end up bleeding. Now, I am going to the shower, and I will take a razor and shave in the shower just in case the power goes out for a couple of days. I think the wet stuff is over, so maybe, just maybe, we can hang on. But, these power lines were put out by horseback, so we never know

Edited by 2010 National Champs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We have some rain here now (and tonight) and occasional blowing wind....not cold, is 41. However we will get down to 25 tonight and the high only 31 tomorrow. Sounds like will be icy to me tho no one sounding any major alarms about it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

We have some rain here now (and tonight) and occasional blowing wind....not cold, is 41. However we will get down to 25 tonight and the high only 31 tomorrow. Sounds like will be icy to me tho no one sounding any major alarms about it.

Wow Rabbit, The high today here was 23  and right now at 9:30 pm its  14 degrees !!! Lots of  sleet and a little snow on top of that.  Spent the day taking care of the cows/ feeding and keeping the water troughs open - they would freeze over within minutes of me breaking them open.   Most are the Ritchie troughs so are supposed to be freeze proof but thats just for the inner floats  not the exposed water.  So very cold here it clearing tonight so no cloud blanket. I'm sorry the picture is inverted, I've tried to rotate it .. it looks proper but transfers upside down still.. 

KIMG0130 cold weather.JPG

KIMG0145 5th try.JPG

Edited by bordercollie
attempted correction
  • Like 2

I have lived in the north so this cold front doesn't affect us much other than more time spent making sure our animals have access to water.  We do have a shelter that has a better wind shield that we open up for them.  I went down to see how they were doing about an hour ago and they seemed comfortable,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1