The Bayou Gardener Family
woodchip gardener

what's the weather like where you are?

In Houma right now it 39° and fallling, wind is blowing at 20 with stronger gusts. It clear and nice outside but I'm not going. I picked a nice bowl of figs yesterday for the last ones of the season.

"gene"

image.thumb.png.c5d2ffe5d998174cf069f436008bb1e0.png

image.png

Edited by PawPaw "gene"
added picture
  • Like 2

PawPaw those figs look scrumptious!  We have an inch or more of snow on the ground ....heard sleet earlier on. Weather says it got down to 17 degrees overnight. It is 31 right now. Brrrr....not planning on setting a foot outside today.

13 minutes ago, Rabbitproof said:

PawPaw those figs look scrumptious!  We have an inch or more of snow on the ground ....heard sleet earlier on. Weather says it got down to 17 degrees overnight. It is 31 right now. Brrrr....not planning on setting a foot outside today.

We have the same as you and the wind is making it biting.  I've gone out and broke ice in the water troughs for our livestock a couple of times already.

• Like 1

Only the top of my shop is insulated. With temp in mid 30’s about mid day and wind blowing, I lasted about 30 minutes before coming back in house. Gene, those figs do look good.

30° this morning with a north wind of about 7 mph. Would like to stay in but have an appointment with the Dr. at 10. Just a check up.

"gene"

22 degrees first thing this morning. 26 now, but not much wind. Predicted high of 54. Should be a nice day. I know it will be compared to yesterday. 

-4F when I got up this morning but it has really warmed up.

It is 12F right now

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Went down to 23F this morning, set a record for low temperature this early in the area. Hot water pipes froze, starting to trickle right now.  Won't be long now.

Bob

Edited by bigboberta
  • Sad 1

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

I wrapped and covered mine and daughters outside faucets day before yesterday. Got to 54 today. Was able to get out and work on garden fence. Looks like 2 more chilly days ahead. 

Absolutely miserable today. 43 degrees and drizzling rain. Looks like it will continue all day. Sunny weather and 70's soon though. I would love to see it dry up for a few weeks but that's doubtful this time of year.

Looks like another drirry and cold day. Light wind, drizzling rain, and showing 46 degrees now at 1:00

raining her on/off all day.  i do feel pretty good about it since I called my mom earlier and they are due a bang up of a storm sunday through monday.  starts as freezing rain, then they are expecting 6+ inches of snow and then back to freezing rain before it stops. 

best wishes to maggie and all the folks in the storm zone!

• Like 1

Brr.gif9 F this morning..

We are supposed to get  some very heavy snow with total snow accumulations of 12 to 24 inches  from today  through Tuesday. t118019.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Maggie....and so it begins way up yonder!!   My niece in Co got 24 inches....she sent such beautiful pictures . She lives in a very picturesque little town to begin with, but the  heavy snow made it look like a gorgeous Christmas card.

• Like 1

Well........

Here in Montana gardening is challenging. Today's weather doesn't help. Wind is currently blowing 50 MPH.

Had a major blizzard in September that wiped out everything a couple of weeks early.

Picture of part of my garden. Might cool off some of you that are too hot.

20191129_103815.jpg

I know what you mean, BigSky Gardener....we were staying at the the Chet Huntley Lodge at Big Sky resort one yr  in Feb.....the snow was unreal. We arrived right after a major snowstorm....had a rough  flight into Bozeman. I have never been so cold in my life nor had I ever imagined so much snow could exist on the earth!   Next time we went it was August....ahhh, my preferred weather!!

I just can't take that cold, freezing weather for long. My hands and toes get so cold while we feed and check on the cows/calves especially in the cold rain.  I  do have a hand warmer (two different brands) and they always seem to go out when I need them the most.   I'd be a real wimp up there haha.  

• Like 1

You get used to the cold believe it or not.

I moved here after living in Las Vegas for 30 years. Not as hot, and a lot less people. More room to grow stuff.

I do get jealous of my father sometimes. He lives in the Florida panhandle and has beans in very early spring. Here it is July. I don't have any insect problems except cabbage loopers. He has nematodes and everything else you can think of.

• Like 2

What part of Montana are you from, have relatives in Helena area beautiful country but I only go in the summer.

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

I live on the Greenfields Bench. It is at the base of the Rocky Mountain Front. About 35 miles North-Northwest of Great Falls.

If you were to go to Glacier National Park from Helena, you would go through Fairfield. I live about seven miles outside of town.

We are the malting barley capital of the world. 88 thousand acres of irrigated farmland at 4000' elevation in zone 3b.

We do have beautiful sunsets though.

P1010058.JPG

• Like 3