Jump to content
Bayou Gardener Family

what's the weather like where you are?


woodchip gardener
 Share

Recommended Posts

Will get down to 20 degrees again tonight here. I think the snow is done for the year. I have nothing outside yet but will start putting out cole crops, lettuce and onions starting this weekend.

One thing most people don't think about or understand is that planting early isn't really worth it in the long run.

An example is planting radishes. If you plant radishes on say April 1st. and the weather is cool, the plants will take say 55 days to mature.

If you wait until May 1st. you think you are a month late, but the warmer temps will make the plant grow faster, so they will mature at about the same time.

The itch to plant early is hard to keep at bay, but the heartache of your plants getting hurt or killed because of it is terrible.

  • Like 4
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got down to 36 degrees this morning. I did set out 5 tomato plants last weekend. Tomatoes and peppers are only things I gamble on planting early. Peas, butter beans always at least first week in May. If I plant late peas, it’s usually last 2 weeks of July. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is more rain than we get for the entire summer!  Doing hydroponics in your regular garden may be a plan.

  • Haha 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Right now it is 50 degrees, completely dark, overcast, and breezy. Low tonight will be 42. I am beyond livid!! This is almost mid  May????  Another Dem global warming FAIL!!!  And ol "Vaccine King", "Depopulate Gates" now wants to block the sun to cool the earth,too? Still cutting the heat on first thing in the morning to take the chill off for awhile.....crazy!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I agree Rabbitproof.  Lots of crazy stuff has been happening and it's getting worse. I have a vest on for warmth and its noon.  Just not normal for  mid May. I think we will have a drought this year too. Corn prices (bulk) are thru the roof  and cotton will have a hard time  if not planted pretty soon. It hates cold,wet feet and like okra it's cousin,  needs warmth to grow. Inflation is coming and so is trouble.  Keep your cupboards filled  >> This stuff in the news.. well maybe it will be resolved and gas will flow quickly but around here there on runs on gas (folks with gas cans) and its almost like the tp rush. I never trust just how long that the grid will  be ok. Just  imagine how people would lose their  composure  and go nuts.                   Remember the old song "dirty laundry" ... "kick them when they're down " ? Sounds almost like what's going on now.

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bordercollie said:

I agree Rabbitproof.  Lots of crazy stuff has been happening and it's getting worse. I have a vest on for warmth and its noon.  Just not normal for  mid May. I think we will have a drought this year too. Corn prices (bulk) are thru the roof  and cotton will have a hard time  if not planted pretty soon. It hates cold,wet feet and like okra it's cousin,  needs warmth to grow. Inflation is coming and so is trouble.  Keep your cupboards filled  >> This stuff in the news.. well maybe it will be resolved and gas will flow quickly but around here there on runs on gas (folks with gas cans) and its almost like the tp rush. I never trust just how long that the grid will  be ok. Just  imagine how people would lose their  composure  and go nuts.                   Remember the old song "dirty laundry" ... "kick them when they're down " ? Sounds almost like what's going on now.

Oh,yes...covid was just the first in the coming long line of catastrophes! I feel ALL of these catastrophes will be totally enemy-created. They will on come fast now, because the Dems/Fauci/Gates,Soros,etc are not happy that only half the country took the untested vaccine, and Donald Trump is threatening to run again in 2024. Plus governors have or are starting to push back against ol dementia Joe's orders.. The "powers that be"  had figured all the covid fear/hype would ensure their total control of the people ....but they greatly underestimated half of the population who still are fully capable of rational thought and reasoning. So,they are now panicked and terribly desperate... it is not going to be fun, because they are insane enough to bring the entire country down in any and every way they can think of to gain total control. Hang in there, folks...it probably will be quite a wild ride! God SAVE America!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

Oh,yes...covid was just the first in the coming long line of catastrophes! I feel ALL of these catastrophes will be totally enemy-created. They will on come fast now, because the Dems/Fauci/Gates,Soros,etc are not happy that only half the country took the untested vaccine, and Donald Trump is threatening to run again in 2024. Plus governors have or are starting to push back against ol dementia Joe's orders.. The "powers that be"  had figured all the covid fear/hype would ensure their total control of the people ....but they greatly underestimated half of the population who still are fully capable of rational thought and reasoning. So,they are now panicked and terribly desperate... it is not going to be fun, because they are insane enough to bring the entire country down in any and every way they can think of to gain total control. Hang in there, folks...it probably will be quite a wild ride! God SAVE America!

It took me a long to finally understand what I heard a double PHD from Stanford preacher say 3 decades ago: Anti-Christ cannot come to power as long as America adheres to the Constitution. I did not have a good enough grasp on bible prophecy, other than the Hal Lindsay horseshit others other misconstruing scripture. I get it now and understand what he meant. I wrongly thought Trump would lead a conservation rebirth, but I knew better, and I still had hope that I could watch America get a reprieve and out grandkids could have a good life like most of us had. Trump tried, bit this is a supernatural occurrence taking place now.

Look at the Constitution in a way that resembles the Mosaic Law. The Law is something that cannot be adhered to in a jot and tittle way. While the Law would condemn a man if he tried to please God with his own self-righteousness, underneath the surface the Law gave Israel a form of government that is was based on a civilized way of life, how to practice good health and cleanliness, a court system with administered justice in a fair way and many other aspects of behavior. Most folks assume that the Law was the 10 commandments, but the whole of the Law was over 700( the exact # escapes me) Laws and statutes. The Law also showed Israel the need for a Savior because it was a perfect Law and if you broke one, you broke them all. The main message of the Law was that it was a type and shadow of things to come: the Messiah.

Okay, here is what happened. The Pharisees(rabbis, political figures) and the Sadducees(media types) claimed that there were two Laws, a written and an oral law that is recorded(bullshit) in what is known as the Talmud. Long story (and one that I studied for a long time) short, they amended the Law to make it say things like they wanted it to say. For wealth and power. Now, fast forward to now, what happened to the Constitution? Politicians and media over the years did what? They caused and amended the Constitution to say things that the founding fathers never intended it to say. Christ even called the OT Law "your Law" when He confronted the Pharisees. I could go on, but you get the picture. The Pharisees took the written Law and twisted it to be like the Hammurabi Code of ancient Mesopotamia(Babylon) and that another story. Folks, ain't no man gonna' fix this shit. Its later in the game than we thought

PS: Like a boss, Bordercollie comes through again!After much consternation, I have a case of the exquisite elixir known as CHOLULA GREEN PEPPER SAUCE!!! Thank you for the trouble. Oh, if you'll look you'll see chinamart changed their website to a different format

 

Edited by 2010 National Champs
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoohoo 8" of heavy wet snow today. Two more days of snow, then 3 days of rain then I can plant something.

  • Confused 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigSkyGardener said:

Whoohoo 8" of heavy wet snow today. Two more days of snow, then 3 days of rain then I can plant something.

OMGOSH...I would croak if it snowed here...awful!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sunny, windy and 83 here in Northern Alabama.   We have 80's-90's or the next 8 days and nights in the 60's.  Things will really start to get going, but I'll have to keep an eye on the thirst and keep the drip tape flowing.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big Sky,

While we are about to drown down here, I hope you can warm up enough to get your crops in the ground sooner than later. Is this snow typical for you this late?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were talking to daughter yesterday afternoon and she had to get off the phone because she was getting on slick roads from snow.  She lives just outside of Reno, Nevada.  We are supposed to have record highs for the next week or so.

 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bordercollie Whitefish is where I would live if I had an unlimited amount of money 😄. It is on the West side of the Rockies so the weather there is not as bad.

i live on the east slope of the mountains, so the weather just slides right down here. Also at 4000 feet of elevation it is worse than other places. As the big farmers around here say, "we need the moisture." this is a very, very wet snow. breaking tree branches and flattening out all of my Lilac bushes.

@Double BI know better than to plant anything tender outside before the 23rd. of May here. This bad weather at this late date is unusual, but it happens occasionally. Had blizzards in June before. My biggest concern is my starts are getting to big for their containers. I want to put them out instead of potting them all up again. I had a lot of people wanting to buy starts last week, but I wouldn't sell them yet. I know they would have set them out even if told not to.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Ain't no way, just ain't no way! I got cold looking at the picture

Was in my greenhouse the other day. 92 degrees and 96% humidity. I was about to die. I remembered what it is like to be in your neck of the woods.

  • Haha 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

@bordercollie Whitefish is where I would live if I had an unlimited amount of money 😄. It is on the West side of the Rockies so the weather there is not as bad.

i live on the east slope of the mountains, so the weather just slides right down here. Also at 4000 feet of elevation it is worse than other places. As the big farmers around here say, "we need the moisture." this is a very, very wet snow. breaking tree branches and flattening out all of my Lilac bushes.

@Double BI know better than to plant anything tender outside before the 23rd. of May here. This bad weather at this late date is unusual, but it happens occasionally. Had blizzards in June before. My biggest concern is my starts are getting to big for their containers. I want to put them out instead of potting them all up again. I had a lot of people wanting to buy starts last week, but I wouldn't sell them yet. I know they would have set them out even if told not to.

She may not be able to afford Whitefish then, but shes looking all around Kalaspell - haha I know I spelled that wrong.   She found a good job there though depending on the cost of living there  I guess.  

 Yes, your snow will look refreshing in August but that week of less than teen's here back in February about killed us all including  some  wildlife and  some cows. Ice never lasted that long on the ground here....MISERABLE  ,TERRIBLE etc........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The day started well enough, running a powersaw right after daylight, even though I had a terrible nights sleep. Ran a few errands and paid almost $12 for a 2x6x8 treated. Bought 3. I intended to be all butthole and elbows today, but I hit the wall. I am tired, and my gas tank is on "E". I am close to being caught up so I took a shower at 1:30 and called it a day and will try again in the morning, Watching" Minority Report" again

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bordercollie said:

She may not be able to afford Whitefish then, but shes looking all around Kalaspell - haha I know I spelled that wrong. 

If she works in Whitefish she could live in Kalispell or Columbia Falls. Not much of a drive but considerably less expensive.

Not unusual to have to drive 60-100 miles round trip here to work and back daily. Montana is a huge and spread out place.

I was in Whitefish one summer with my daughter for a 4-H event. There is a ski lift that operates in the summer that will take you to the top of the mountain where there is a restaurant and lodge. I was standing there talking to the president of our local bank and commented on how beautiful it was there. He said "yeah, too bad neither one of us could afford to live here."

Most of the residents are trust fund babies, or people that have their second (or 5th.) home there.

  • Like 3
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Big Sky. I'll let you know what I find out. I did hear that the rent on a small   clean place is equal to my  entire monthly salary there in Whitefish. but haha she makes more that I do. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friday afternoon.

20210521_fri.jpg

 

Monday afternoon.

 

20210524_mon.jpg

Looks like smooth sailing from now on with some afternoon thunder showers. I am about to finally get busy.

 

  • Like 3
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to help us enhance your online experience. If that sounds good, click “I Accept” or review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.