The Bayou Gardener Family
woodchip gardener

what's the weather like where you are?

Wow....300 yrs old. So sad it finally fell. Were you ever able to save any seed or start a growth from it? Sad to lose those awesome genes.

• Like 1

Her baby sister is growing 75 feet away. That tree is only 40" across. it's a beautiful tree but is split down the middle! We will lose that one also at some point. Both of these were it the front yard. According to the map from 1873 one was on each side of the road. 

Wade

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I know you are going to miss viewing that one.

it snowed here today!  it started as rain and snowed for about 30 minutes before it went back to rain.  big giant flakes!  a little north of here they got snow that actually stuck to the roads for a bit.  it did go back to rain, so don't think it caused much ruckus.  

• Like 1

Lots of rain yesterday and today....flooding in many areas. My husband had to go around the world to get to his office in Knoxville....and their parking lot is getting water now.  He had a Kiwanis Club meeting back here in Maryville at noon ....guess he went....prob in a very round about way. The local animal shelter is taking in dogs but only by shuttle from down the street a couple of blocks. Backyards flooded in the neighborhood across the road from us. I do have a high lot here, thank heavens!! More rain to come, they say.

• Like 2

Another round of tornado warnings last night and now flood warnings today.   This and the last 2 winters have been so wet here in N. Alabama.

Since I am obviously not out in the garden, I just built a 4x4 coop for our 6 new chicks we have been raising in our upstairs bedroom brooding quarters.   They are 4 weeks old and growing like crazy.

Time to move them out there tomorrow.

Always something to do out here in the country.

Edited by ccat
  • Like 2

2nd very rainy day in a row again. Getting colder and windy. It is supposed be sunny tomorrow, and I'm ready.

• Like 3

We discovered a dusting of snow here in Arkansas this morning when we got up. That and a COLD North wind made it a day to stay inside. Needless to say I fed the cows and calves in record time this morning!

• Like 2

Had a 2 day total rainfall of 5.2" .  Garden is a mud pit. Actually it was in less than a 24 hour time span, because most of it was at night  and covered 2 days.

Edited by bigboberta
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

rained all day yesterday.  think we got 3".  we had a tornado touch down about 15 min from my house.  they cancelled school today because there are trees down and power out in many places in the county.  the wind is still gusting into the 30mph range this morning.  the rain has stopped tho.

• Sad 3

I got some new top soil the other day. Winds steady at 55 gusting to 88. The field behind me has winter wheat sown in it, so no ground cover yet. Added about 1/2" to all 4 acres. Came with fertilizer too I think. 🙂

• Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

We got over 5 1/2" since that is all our gauge holds and it was full.  We didn't have as much of the bad storms as we were right on the edge of the front as it went through heading for Rabbitproof.

• Like 2

Spring isn't here yet and already such weird weather. I hope everyone has a weather radio or the weather app (government alert)on your phone. If you ever get the extreme alerts.. like" tornado emergency", don't mess around but drop what you're doing and take cover immediately- I mean right then. That particular one is never to be hohummed about  because it means business and it's not a maybe.... but is "hitting the fan"  for sure somewhere near you. 

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MikeM said:

We got over 5 1/2" since that is all our gauge holds and it was full.  We didn't have as much of the bad storms as we were right on the edge of the front as it went through heading for Rabbitproof.

Mike...We had TONS of rain here FOR 2 days then snow flurries yesterday...and bad flooding over in Gatlinburg , Pigeon Forge .  CRAZY WEATHER!!

• Like 2

Mild,mild, mild.  High temps to run mid 70's--- lows to run 60'ish for the next few days, with good chances of showers. The 14 day  4-cast is for lows in the 50's. I am going to have to plant something. Also it is time to try and get the last of the citrus off the trees before they all rot. 

Low of 54 degrees here this morning. But weatherman calling for a repeat of last week. 

Well, I said a week or 2 ago that I was so glad it had not rained non stop all winter like last yr.    Well, Mon,Tues, Wed, Thurs this week ....100%, 90%, 80%,80% rain last I checked this morning . I looked over the next 10 days on that weather site and even some further....rain predicted just about every day. I think maybe I spoke too soon about this yr being better than last!😠

• Like 1

Last week was 5" of rain and today starts the next 6-7".   It has been pouring for the past 4 hours and is supposed to for days.

Oh well, I bet we all read the same conditions from everyone this time last year.   Seems like Feb is just WET.

• Sad 2

ccat...Feb has  definitely NEVER been a loved month for me....not here , nor in Ms. when living there. I will start getting excited in about 2 more months....and actually see a light at the end of the tunnel for any gardening!!! Right now is just plain boring!

I agree Rabbitproof and Ccat.  It is flooding here right now big time.    I'm ready to  get a garden ready but no way now- as with most of ya'll- we're☔ in the same boat- no pun intended.

• Like 1

.....well, the plus side of all this rain is if the weather guru's are right in predicting 7", then the 4" we have gotten so far puts us just 3 more inches to go.

Anyone for a 2 week drought????😏

• Like 2

Snow.gif It has been snowing a few inches every day recently.   Today we are expecting an additional  5"!

t118019.gif 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

It’s been pouring rain for last half hour. Hopefully looking at radar, there’s no bad stuff. 

It’s 58 degrees. Temps are going to be dropping today. Steady rain now. 

• Like 1