The Bayou Gardener Family
woodchip gardener

what's the weather like where you are?

It's been a very mild winter down here in S. La, the temps feel like spring, but it's so wet any garden work is totally out of the question. 

Time to do other chores and babysit seedlings.

• Like 2

We will be cooler soon they say...last night a very short period of wind and rain. The emergency alert kept going off on the tv...drove us crazy. Why do they have them every 15 minutes and they are so long...5 minutes each time. Ruined a tv show I was watching. I never could figure out what in the heck was going on in the tv show with so many interruptions.. And what is with having to post Spanish also  on it....I thought I was living in the USA, not Mexico.. The alert was for a severe thunderstorm....well, duh!    I think I could figure that out when the gusty wind and rain started. I could understand if there is a tornado coming or even the Amber alerts(whichever give enough info to do a hill of beans good ), or if we are ever  being bombed.  A thunderstorm tho, is.ridiculous. The thunderstorm lasted about 3 minutes when it finally came. How in the world have I managed to live to almost 70 without the govt warning me about these horrific occurrences until recently...oh, such a miracle.  Ok...off my rant now!

• Like 2

No tornadicans last night but winds up to 79mph and another 3" of rain.   3 panels off my small greenhouse were blown off, but I can repair and put them back.

Tons of trees, limbs and powerlines are down.    

Surely dryer weather is on the horizon.   At least the best part (and probably only best part) of this rainy weather we've been having is I am NOT out in the garden weeding.🙄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ButtaBean said:

We have 0 with -25 wind chill. Just enough snow to annoy me 🙄

Burr that is cold!BVBrrr.gif

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

9 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

We will be cooler soon they say...last night a very short period of wind and rain. The emergency alert kept going off on the tv...drove us crazy. Why do they have them every 15 minutes and they are so long...5 minutes each time. Ruined a tv show I was watching. I never could figure out what in the heck was going on in the tv show with so many interruptions.. And what is with having to post Spanish also  on it....I thought I was living in the USA, not Mexico.. The alert was for a severe thunderstorm....well, duh!    I think I could figure that out when the gusty wind and rain started. I could understand if there is a tornado coming or even the Amber alerts(whichever give enough info to do a hill of beans good ), or if we are ever  being bombed.  A thunderstorm tho, is.ridiculous. The thunderstorm lasted about 3 minutes when it finally came. How in the world have I managed to live to almost 70 without the govt warning me about these horrific occurrences until recently...oh, such a miracle.  Ok...off my rant now!

I'm with ya Rabbitproof  !!!   100% with you . !!!!  Your  "rant" as you call it , made me grin big time-  so much needed that- just got back from se Ark- my cousin's funeral- they couldn't bury her yet as ground is too wet.   Unnatural weather.. Everyone be safe out there  .. more weird weather possible next week.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bordercollie said:

I'm with ya Rabbitproof  !!!   100% with you . !!!!  Your  "rant" as you call it , made me grin big time-  so much needed that- just got back from se Ark- my cousin's funeral- they couldn't bury her yet as ground is too wet.   Unnatural weather.. Everyone be safe out there  .. more weird weather possible next week.

So glad you made it back safely, Judy. I am so sorry your cousin could not be buried...wow, unnatural weather for sure!

• Like 2

Thank you Rabbitproof,   Looking forward to our couple of days of sunshine- I hope everyone gets a good dose of it before the clouds roll back in . 🙂 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 11:07 AM, ccat said:

No tornadicans last night but winds up to 79mph and another 3" of rain.   3 panels off my small greenhouse were blown off, but I can repair and put them back.

Tons of trees, limbs and powerlines are down.    

Surely dryer weather is on the horizon.   At least the best part (and probably only best part) of this rainy weather we've been having is I am NOT out in the garden weeding.🙄

hey ccat.  i watched a home grown veg video about reinforcing a greenhouse on the cheap.  he had a storm and his came apart too.  he used some sort of tile support strips. 

• Like 2

Brr.gif Bright-animated-sun-wit-sunglasses.gif

In other words    +16F and  sunny wink15.gif

It will be toasty in the High tunnel jkam.gif so this morning  I will get a few beds prepped and ready to plant .

This afternoon when it warms up into the mid 30's it will be perfect for felling and bucking up trees for 2020 - 2021 firewood.

• Like 5

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

YAY...the sun!! "Get your engines running...head out on the highway"!.. for me! Was snow 2 days ago and gloomy. Getting into the back and forth days now.

• Like 3

52 degrees with light rain this morning. Looks like rain today and night, then not much chance predicted til weekend. If that happens, I hope to be able to till garden about Friday. Will see how it goes. 

• Like 1

overcast and light rain this morning.  it is supposed to clear out later and be 60 here today.  still overcast tomorrow and 60 but then we plunge down to highs in the 40s for the rest of the week and into the weekend.

Ya'll check in if near weather damage please.

We had severe thunderstorms last night about 2 am with very strong winds and heavy,torrential rain.  Trees down and  5 power poles broken over on road dividing my bils  land  by house. and in whole county there is damage. No schools today due to no power in areas. Our generator is on- so grateful for it..  As far as I know there are no cows out or hurt .  Wind and rain was so loud that I zipped downstairs like a teenager..  Picture is of just one pole but the 5 are all in a row. That's my electric fence by the pole- so glad that the cows  weren't in that patch. Everyday is a blessing in some way.   judy

Resized_20200304_084930.jpg

• Like 1

Glad  your are okay Judy. Looks like this storm system is going to hang around awhile.

• Like 1

We are 50 miles south of the area the tornadoes that hit Nashville and east to Cookeville but all we got was a lot of wind and rain but no damage.  We are actually having a day without rain and shirt sleeve temperatures so we are enjoying it.

• Like 1

Judy, Mike....All severe weather was west and southwest of us, it seems. Boy, some severe damage!! Glad y'all are ok. Torrential rains yesterday, especially early on, but the sun is coming out slowly today and the  thermometer right now says 62 on my front porch....looks like I may crawl out of my "rabbit" hole today for a change!

• Like 2

Good to hear nobody hurt and hope it continues as this storm system moves thru. We had thunderstorms and lots of rain before daylight this morning. Didn’t lose power. 

• Like 2

I'm glad ya'll did ok in the storms also.  This weather is sure crazy.  I'm glad to hear from Rabbitproof too.. I knew you are in Tennessee .. Thank you Lord for Your safe arms around us. 

• Like 2

I thought I put up a couple more pictures of the flooding and the 5 broken power poles . Each  of the 5  power poles was broke off going up the hill and no trees were the cause. They each broke off about the same height as this first one . A little abandoned house  on the neighbors, about a half mile from these poles ,was demolished and the barn next to it was damaged.  This storm moved from the west to the east. I knew to come downstairs when I heard the hail though , but the wind was scary enough when on the second floor. Never  heard the sirens if they were even used - the wind and rain was too loud and the sirens are at least 4 miles as a crow flies to the south and west.

KIMG0593.jpg

KIMG0589.jpg

• Like 5

I too am glad to hear no one was hurt in this last round of heavy weather. Here near the coast I had rain all day yesterday, but none of the damaging winds that were mostly to the north of the coast. 

• Like 2

Hope everyone made it thru rest of storms ok. We had some trees down scattered about the area but no damages to homes that I know of. This morning it’s 44 degrees and sun is out. Got a brisk NNW wind blowing though, but I’m not complaining a bit.      Don

• Like 2