The Bayou Gardener Family
Rajun Gardener

Playing with seeds again

I bought some nectarines from the store and they were juicy so I decided to plant a seed just for kicks. I cracked the pit open and pulled the seed out, put it in a damp paper towel and stuck it in the fridge for 2 weeks. When I checked it roots were already growing so I pulled it out and left it on top the fridge for a week. I transplanted it yesterday and set it under the carport to get a few hours a day of dappled sun.

100_5355.JPG

100_5356.JPG

The little nectarine seedling is growing, I have it in a 2 gallon pot under the carport for dappled sunshine. I think I planted it too deep, you can see the cotyledon on the right of the 2nd picture.

100_5434.JPG

100_5435.JPG

• Like 1

I'm keeping these seed starting fruits on one page to make it easier. This is a continuation of the Pluot thread.

I stopped by a different store a few days ago and they had tree ripened pluots both yellow and red in the cooler section so I bought some more to try. I asked the produce guy about marking down the old fruit and he went through the box and sold me 6 of them for $2. SCORE!!! Since they've been in the cooler already it'll save time starting them.

The yellow pluot was totally different than the red. The flesh was firm like a ripe pear and it wasn't nearly as sweet or juicy as the red one but it had good flavor. It was totally ripe and soft but still firm. I'm guessing it leans more to the apricot side of the gene pool, I can't say because I haven't eaten a fresh apricot.

So the fun begins. I cracked open 6 of the oldest pluots for the seed and some look shriveled up and a few look like the root is stating to grow out already. I have them on top the fridge and I'll keep tabs on what's happening every few days.

The easiest way I found to crack the pit open without damaging the seed is to use vise-grips set just a 1/2 turn tighter than the pit itself.

100_5432.JPG

100_5433.JPG

• Like 1

ragun.  you inspired me.  one of our neighbors brought me over some peaches that she picked up in SC.  I had the seeds soaking to soften them up...but I grabbed a pair of pliers and cracked one of those bad boys open.  I put it in a pot on the table in the sun.  Will see if it comes up. 

Excited to see your updates on your nectarines and pluots!

• Like 1