The Bayou Gardener Family

My neighbor had offered me several hostas that were growing at the edge of her yard. She had transplanted them a year or so ago when she thinned out the patch of them in her yard. 

That was i think mid march. They did take pretty well where i put them in my front yard. I was out there 2 days ago and noticed the had sent up flower stalks.

I had no idea that hostas flowered. I have only ever seen them used in yards for their leaves.  I did google to see if i am supposed to let them flower and the sites seem split on their vote. 

Has anyone had their hostas flower? Will the leaves die off if i let these bloom? Should i cut them off? 

I would like to let them do their thing but not if it causes the greenery to die.

Any advice is appreciated.

Posted (edited)

Every year mine flower I have never had the leaves die back after flowering

Edited by Maggie13

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

What weeds, i thought it was ground cover. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have grown hostas for years. I let them flower and then cut the stalks back once the flower is done. You can cut them if you wish. 

I just let mine do their thing.  They do fine.  Once the flower is done the stalk turns brown and is kinda ugly, just snip it off and let them rock on.