The Bayou Gardener Family
MikeM

Chicks hatching

The raccoons around our chicken coop has us down to 5 hens so it was time to hatch some eggs.  This is a mix of some of our Black Sex Links, our neighbors mixed chickens and another friends Mosaics (that I really like).  The Mosaics are fairly rare still and each chicken has a unique color pattern to all of the others so they can be told apart.

We haven't seen any raccoon activity out there since I dispatched the 4th one the other several days ago.  We haven't had any problems with predators for so long we got complacent and had stopped locking the chickens in at night.

Chicks hatching 23 June 2020.JPG

• Like 7

Very cool!! There's not much of anything that is more cute than baby chicks. Thank you for sharing the picture!

• Like 2

@Mikem

" We haven't had any problems with predators for so long we got complacent and had stopped locking the chickens in at night. "

I was the same way and lost 3 in one week. Have 12-15 hatching on July 18th. The rooster is a noisy pain in the butt, but does serve his purpose.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

We lost 5 in two nights so I think the whole raccoon family was helping itself.  There was two adults and two half grown kits.

• Sad 2

Mine are foxes and coyotes.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Mine are raccoons . I lost my last chicken a couple of years ago but have 2 peacock and peahen- and the hen is setting- Raccoons try to get in every evening. I must keep them fastened into the cotton trailer made into safe house place or I wouldn't have anything with feathers. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I am sorry to hear about your hens. Over the years I have heard some horror stories about hen houses and raccoons.

We were just talking about the come back the raccoon population around here since the big rabies epidemic within their population .I saw my first road kill one on Monday.

ChinCome to think of it  I haven't check my trail cams in quite awhile I think it may be time to see if they are coming around.  

PS: Mike your new baby chics are adorable. I can almost hear them peeping from here

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 4

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Thank you Maggie.  It looks like 15 is where we stop hatching but we weren't sure how old some of the eggs were.

• Like 2

If we didn't have the big dogs, we would have no garden because of the deer and all the critters. They sleep most of the day and patrol the place at night. They kill coons, possums, skunks and just about anything else that roams into their domain. A friend of mine close by has cats and while they kill mice and snakes, he can't even grow corn because the raccoons eat every ear. 

Those of you that like dogs may want to consider getting a couple or few. Besides companionship, they are good protection for your home and garden. We lost one last year but since people throw out dogs in the country all the time, we have a new one that wandered up a couple weeks ago. We have named him Scooby and he is finding himself a place in the pecking order. 

IMG_2041.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We have two guardian dogs that live with our sheep and two herding dogs and they keep deer and coyotes away but raccoons, skunks and opossums get to the chicken yard from adjacent property.

• Like 3

We have coyotes, wolves, bears, bobcats, badgers, mountain lions, etc. They are not here all the time, but swing by every now and again. I keep my dogs inside at night or may not have them in the morning. The coyotes will try to lure them away by themselves, then kill them.

The dogs are of greater value to me than my garden.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My livestock guardian dogs live with my sheep but they keep the coyotes away with their barking rather than fighting and we have fences tall enough with hot wire on top that we haven't had any sheep losses.

• Like 4