The Bayou Gardener Family
Sign in to follow this  
2010 National Champs

Ya'll ever get like this?

Try to find or fix something and go about it all wrong? Then the light comes on and you just want to kick your own ass for being so stupid? I am 2 minutes into wanting to do just that, kick my own ass. My wife just volunteered to do it for me, if I am unable to. Here it is:

I have an old Golden Harvester planter that works just like an Earthway. It was bought at a yard sale for $5, but it only has one plate and I like it way better than the overpriced/overhyped Hoss seeder. I don't want to buy a set of plates for an Earthway, if they won't fit. I have been trying to find plates for the GH, but it just never occurred, until just minutes ago, to ask THIS FORUM! I was not kidding the other day, some days I can make a bag of shit look like a PHD.

Does anyone have any plates for the GH or does anyone have an Earthway plates that they would sell me to see if it will work? Or, if you don't have one to sell, would you send one for me to try? I'll pay the postage and send it right back. Bordercollie will vouch for my trustworthiness, and honorable personality. Not so much for my intellect,though. Thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Champ, I have a earthway 1001-b model, I will loan you a plate if you want.  Just send me a PM or let me know where to mail it.  bruce

• Like 2

If you do have the older Golden Harvester planter, then its plates are interchangeable with Earthway. 100% positive on this one, I had both until someone backed over the G.H. with the lawnmower. Still use its plates on the Earthway to this day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitetrouts said:

Champ, I have a earthway 1001-b model, I will loan you a plate if you want.  Just send me a PM or let me know where to mail it.  bruce

Thanks for your kindness Bruce, and it does not go unappreciated but the post from BB just told me all that I need to know! I'll just order a set of earthway plates and I'm good to go!. Thanks

21 minutes ago, ButtaBean said:

If you do have the older Golden Harvester planter, then its plates are interchangeable with Earthway. 100% positive on this one, I had both until someone backed over the G.H. with the lawnmower. Still use its plates on the Earthway to this day.

Thank you, thats all I need to know. Ima' order the plates rat' now. These cheap planters do a really good job. Much better than the Hoss planter that I paid a lot of $ for

8 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Thanks for your kindness Bruce, and it does not go unappreciated but the post from BB just told me all that I need to know! I'll just order a set of earthway plates and I'm good to go!. Thanks

Thank you, thats all I need to know. Ima' order the plates rat' now. These cheap planters do a really good job. Much better than the Hoss planter that I paid a lot of $ for

The Golden Harvester had a larger packing wheel that I liked a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ButtaBean said:

The Golden Harvester had a larger packing wheel that I liked a lot.

Guy gave it to me after he bought it at a yard sale. He did not garden and I guess that it never occurred to him to ask about more plates. You should see my peas that I planted with it. A perfect stand! with no skips. I always have to replant skips when I used the Hoss planter. The wheelhoe and the grass blade are the real deal, though. So, I am not badmouthing the whole brand, just the planter

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 2:27 PM, 2010 National Champs said:

Guy gave it to me after he bought it at a yard sale. He did not garden and I guess that it never occurred to him to ask about more plates. You should see my peas that I planted with it. A perfect stand! with no skips. I always have to replant skips when I used the Hoss planter. The wheelhoe and the grass blade are the real deal, though. So, I am not badmouthing the whole brand, just the planter

I ordered a set of Earthway plates for $28 plus $8 tax and shipping. The Lambert people finally wrote back but their plates were $35 plus tax and shipping and I had already ordered the Earthway anyway. I was really impressed with the stand of peas that I got with this little piece of cheap equipment over the Hoss that I paid $159 for. I think the Hoss will do better on small seeds like lettuce and mustard, so I am prepared for anything. I think that I get better results by dropping corn rather than using a seeder, but that is based on this year.

Got a notice that all of that pile of Harris seeds that I bought has been shipped. I bought shit that I don't even really know what it is! Anybody know how to grow celery? I don't but I bought seeds anyway. I don't even know if it will grow in Alabama, but it was a $1 a pack. Swiss chard? What da hell is that? I would really like to know because I bought some of it. Yep, $1 a pack,too. I had never heard of Kohlrabi until I tried that a few years ago and it has turned out to be one of our favorite vegetables. I bought $83 worth of seed. Seriously though, my seed stock was getting old, some I had for a decade, so it was an opportunity to get some top varieties at ridiculous cheap prices

• Like 1

Champs,

I grew celery several years ago and did it successfully. With that said, it seems to take forever for the seeds to sprout and grow enough to transplant. It is a 210 day crop so it will tie up your garden space for a long time. I grew it in zone 9A so I would guess you can grow it in Alabama. The flavor is way better than any store bought celery but be patient. 

IMG_0220.JPG