The Bayou Gardener Family
Maggie13

Deck gets a roof!

Posted (edited)

Time for a new project 

tree.jpg

The weekend is going to be a hot one for us temperatures are supposed to reach 100 F+. It will be a slow go but Jim is determined to start it right away.

i-m9ctZzm-L.jpg

Before we pressure wash and re stain our small deck  Jim is putting a roof over it (aka my summer kitchen).

This will allow me to work out there canning and cooking during the "dog days of summer", protect me  from the rain  and eliminate some of the hand shoveling I have to do after every snowstorm in the winter.

First thing to do re- level the stairs. They had shifted about 2 inches over the years.

i-Xgb7prp-L.jpg

Next we need to remove  sections of handrail and 2 of the 4 X 4 posts.

i-z6Z8pt3-L.jpg

With the posts cut off we pulled up the floor board It was 50/50 on unscrewing  vs snapping off the heads of the screws GAAH!.gif

i-3GF6qnt-L.jpg

The hand rail posts were replaced with taller posts to support the roof.

i-nVHSgJj-X2.jpg

Setting the pitch for the roof. 

i-PS7FL53-L.jpg

Beam detail:

i-t25ThPF-X2.jpg

This morning I took these.

i-GcgBrLC-M.jpg

i-cxrTvGJ-L.jpg

MORE TO COME.......

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

It looks like you guys are off to a good start. Planning and laying it out always seems to make the start slower but it appears you are off and running. 

100 degrees is terribly hot. We have only had a day or two of that this year and fear there are several more of those days. They are dangerous if you are not careful. Last year we had lots of days in the mid and high 90's but never broke a hundred. I hope y'all don't have many of those days. 

Please keep us posted. 

• Like 3

Wow !!! Excellent !!!    Ya'll be careful out there.. I almost got in trouble last week with the heat. Got the weakness and  leg cramps.

I look forward to seeing the end results. 🙂  It's a beautiful place you have there !!!! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bordercollie said:

Wow !!! Excellent !!!    Ya'll be careful out there.. I almost got in trouble last week with the heat. Got the weakness and  leg cramps.

I look forward to seeing the end results. 🙂  It's a beautiful place you have there !!!! 

Judy, do be careful, we get extenive training on heat stress, and cramping is not the beginning stages. 

• Like 2

Yes Double D the thinking part took a long time .Chin.gif

Layout for the pitch meant several times up and down the ladder to get the ridge board location and the cuts on the first rafter right.

Thanks Judy We are being very careful, taking lots of breaks and keeping well hydrated. At our age we try not to do too many stupid things.   Setting aside working in the obsessive heat that is.   redface1.gif

After 6 trips to the shops attic ( over 120 F up there) to retrieve our Bakers scaffolding Jim was drenched in sweat and feeling a little dizzy so after a change of shirt and a couple of glasses of water and a 2 hour break in front of the air conditioner we set it up along with a ladder rack attached to the extension ladder extending Jim's reach past the edge of the deck That will help keep us safe while installing the ridge board and rafters.

i-vTjMdHp-L.jpg

i-RFJX9f3-L.jpg

After many trips up and down measuring and remeasuring the first rafter is set we have a 3-12 pitch (sort of )

We had to monkey around with the ridge board to stay a a foot below the window lessening the amount of snow laying against the window and our tall posts could not be altered since we were using the same mounting area that was on the deck and we wanted the height so we didn't block the sunrise coming through the kitchen window . 

On the plus side: It gave me a chance to start cleaning up the handrails while Jim figured everything out and  it will be an easy roof to walk when it comes time to stain the house.

I started cleaning up the old redwood hand rails They were covered with lichen and even had some algae growing on them, 

i-ccXfJVw-L.jpg

One side of the staircase handrail is ready for stain.

i-kcxxSNP-L.jpg

The sections we removed to install the new posts are cleaned ,dry and ready for stain. leaving me 4 sections left to do

i-n7PFZ4q-L.jpg

After several trips up and down the ladder Jim has figured out the exact roof pitch and rafter cuts .It was mentally and physically draining in this heat. He called it a day after he got one installed.

i-BrDmj68-L.jpg

MORE TO COME.....

• Like 4

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Maggie13 said:

Yes Double D the thinking part took a long time .Chin.gif

Layout for the pitch meant several times up and down the ladder to get the ridge board location and the cuts on the first rafter right.

Thanks Judy We are being very careful, taking lots of breaks and keeping well hydrated. At our age we try not to do too many stupid things.   Setting aside working in the obsessive heat that is.   redface1.gif

After 6 trips to the shops attic ( over 120 F up there) to retrieve our Bakers scaffolding Jim was drenched in sweat and feeling a little dizzy so after a change of shirt and a couple of glasses of water and a 2 hour break in front of the air conditioner we set it up along with a ladder rack attached to the extension ladder extending Jim's reach past the edge of the deck That will help keep us safe while installing the ridge board and rafters.

i-vTjMdHp-L.jpg

i-RFJX9f3-L.jpg

After many trips up and down measuring and remeasuring the first rafter is set we have a 3-12 pitch (sort of )

We had to monkey around with the ridge board to stay a a foot below the window lessening the amount of snow laying against the window and our tall posts could not be altered since we were using the same mounting area that was on the deck and we wanted the height so we didn't block the sunrise coming through the kitchen window . 

On the plus side: It gave me a chance to start cleaning up the handrails while Jim figured everything out and  it will be an easy roof to walk when it comes time to stain the house.

I started cleaning up the old redwood hand rails They were covered with lichen and even had some algae growing on them, 

i-ccXfJVw-L.jpg

One side of the staircase handrail is ready for stain.

i-kcxxSNP-L.jpg

The sections we removed to install the new posts are cleaned ,dry and ready for stain. leaving me 4 sections left to do

i-n7PFZ4q-L.jpg

After several trips up and down the ladder Jim has figured out the exact roof pitch and rafter cuts .It was mentally and physically draining in this heat. He called it a day after he got one installed.

i-BrDmj68-L.jpg

MORE TO COME.....

Maggie, what did you clean the rails with for the lichen, algae,etc?  Everything looking good  in your project....please be very careful in that heat!

Edited by Rabbitproof

Rabbit I used a mixture of 1 -1/2 cups of bleach to 2 gallons of water and a big squirt of Dawn dish soap. 

I wet the section with the garden hose first then dip my scrub brush into the bleach mixture and start scrubbing.

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Posted (edited)

It was a short day! Just enough time to get the rafters on! happay.gif

i-f5Sp9RF-L.jpg

i-n43kxc6-L.jpg

Today we are running to the saw mill to get fascia and  soffit material.

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 4

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Maggie,

This may be a stupid question but did you cut the siding on your house to install flashing where the new roof will butt up against it? Where you live, it may not be an issue but down here it would trap water in between the new roof and the existing siding. 

• Like 1

Oh my goodness ! Please do be careful  in this heat. It will sneak up on ya for sure. 

By the way, have ya'll noticed that nowadays, most grocery store bleach is weak as water in most cases? I didn't know it had a shelf life until we were washing this old house and it had no effect. Zero, I looked at the name brand label and it gave no percent  of active ingredient -( the hypo chlorite stuff)  It used to be on there as something like 6 % but not now on what we bought. We went to Lowes and bought the real strong Clorox there in the house cleaning section and it will take the mold off fast.  It may cost  more but not really.  In case  anyone was wondering- If you can find the good stuff in the  regular store see if it says its germicidal- I believe that kind may work  but I know that at Lowes did us a great job. 🙂

I do love ya'lls house. 🙂 

15 hours ago, Maggie13 said:

Rabbit I used a mixture of 1 -1/2 cups of bleach to 2 gallons of water and a big squirt of Dawn dish soap. 

I wet the section with the garden hose first then dip my scrub brush into the bleach mixture and start scrubbing.

Thanks....my fence needs this in places...27 yr old fence that is going strong but starting to get stuff on it in some places. Will get to work on it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Double B said:

Maggie,

This may be a stupid question but did you cut the siding on your house to install flashing where the new roof will butt up against it? Where you live, it may not be an issue but down here it would trap water in between the new roof and the existing siding. 

NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION.

Here in New York  we put the flashing on TOP of the shingles where the wall meets the Ridge board.

Judy I keep a package of granulated pool chlorine around for the really  tough stuff but I agree with your findings in regards to Clorox brand. That is what I used for this application.

Thanks Judy our home is a work in progress.

Here is a picture of the place the day we closed on it. January 1990 the redwood sliding was put on in 1972 and never had any sealer put on it. It is tired now and one of these days we will be done making changes to the outside and be able to get a good coat of stain on it.

i-JzNbGKs.jpg

Good luck Rabbit!

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 4

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Scaffolding set

i-2sqJFHT-L.jpg

Half way there!

i-jDc3nN6-L.jpg

Complete and trimmedhappay.gif 

i-jj86wCJ-L.jpg

Just for fun I snapped these before the sun came up

i-6VXjtFK-L.jpg

i-wSqNGVB-L.jpg

i-nRTLWsD-L.jpg

After Jim gets the tar paper on we will be on hold.

We have a installation  and two small projects in the shop to finish  so the shingles will be on hold for awhile.

More to come.......

• Like 4

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

22 hours ago, bordercollie said:

Oh my goodness ! Please do be careful  in this heat. It will sneak up on ya for sure. 

By the way, have ya'll noticed that nowadays, most grocery store bleach is weak as water in most cases? I didn't know it had a shelf life until we were washing this old house and it had no effect. Zero, I looked at the name brand label and it gave no percent  of active ingredient -( the hypo chlorite stuff)  It used to be on there as something like 6 % but not now on what we bought. We went to Lowes and bought the real strong Clorox there in the house cleaning section and it will take the mold off fast.  It may cost  more but not really.  In case  anyone was wondering- If you can find the good stuff in the  regular store see if it says its germicidal- I believe that kind may work  but I know that at Lowes did us a great job. 🙂

I do love ya'lls house. 🙂 

Well, by golly, that has been my observation for several yrs now...was always wondering why  bleach just did not have the effect it used to in past years. Thank you, Judy !!!

• Like 1

@Maggie13

That looks really nice!

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Thank you BigSky!

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Posted (edited)

Hey maggie. Did you notch the rafters or use rafter hanger sort of things?  If they are just set on there wont they twist if the snow puts weight on them?

When i did the deck i used straight hydrogen peroxide. Kills stuff down into the grain. Turns to water after.

Edited by woodchip gardener

Posted (edited)

Chips the rafters have a notch cut into them. I do not know of any rafter hangers There are joist hanger that are for the floor joist is that maybe what you are thinking of?

We are done with our customer's cabinet installation 

It was stifling in that mudroom at the 10 ft ceiling it had to be over 110 F. No air conditioning for us because there is no cold air return in the room and the doors to the rest of the house were closed to keep us separated  from the family since we will not wear a mask while installing.

It is hard enough to communicate with Jim being slightly hearing impaired or is it because I mumble wink15.gif Either way is would make for a bad day.

i-Krn3tNT-X2.jpg

Ran the rest of the trim boards and put together a list for the lumber yard

i-HgB7JPR-L.jpg

i-6G3d7S6-L.jpg

Today  we picked up supplies for the roof including drip edge and shingles

More to come.....

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 3

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

On 7/20/2020 at 7:55 PM, Maggie13 said:

Maggie...suddenly, and I do mean almost over night this past week,  my neighbors fence is covered everywhere with lichens and fungus....looks like a horror movie out there. She has a large back yard with lots of fencing. Well, where her fence attaches to mine it has crawled onto mine tho not as horrible as hers yet but down the entire length. Where as I had maybe 4 tops of fence posts on the north side of my house with it,  now on the entire southside  fence it  has crawled the entire length where my fence attaches to hers. Her fence is only 8 yrs old and completely  covered!   Have also found some bad  patches of it on her side of the long mutual fence we share,too. Good grief...it is like a sudden invasion of a monster disease! I have not talked to her about it yet...she has so many physical problems,etc , I hate to add more stress, but something needs to be done quickly, or we both may  lose our fences. My question....how long does it take to scrub off?  Do I need to hire someone for the job? Is it hard and time consuming  to do even one fence slat? Should I just get a stiff brush and brush it off first and then use the clorox/dawn to scrub what remains... It is pretty flaky. My back fence must be 100 ft long...??? The side fences are not long.....maybe 30+ ft. It  also is growing on my pink crepe myrtle tree right next to it and the tree now looks sick. I have never witnessed such a sudden and complete infestation . What in the world is going on?  I do appreciate any hints of how to go about this the best way...and how long even a short section would take in your estimation. Thanks...

• Sad 2

Rabbit that would be way to much work to do using my method.

Have you considered buying a pressure washer? 

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Rabbitproof,

I would mix up some TSP (trisodium phophate) with warm water and bleach to spray your fence. It's a great mold and fungi killer. Mix it in a big sprayer and spray it on. Sit back and watch it work. 

Like Maggie said, pressure wash it off and it should look like new. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Agree with Double B, Spray TSP, Bleach with warm water.  Clean up with pressure washer.  The pressure washer will clean it, the TSP & bleach will kill it.

Edited by bigboberta
  • Like 1

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

18 hours ago, Maggie13 said:

Rabbit that would be way to much work to do using my method.

Have you considered buying a pressure washer? 

Have never had need of a pressure washer for some reason...know people seem to love those things. Maybe should reconsider that now!!

3 minutes ago, bordercollie said:

Be sure to get the good strong bleach 

Yes, I was just telling my husband what you said about the bleach....thanks!

• Like 1