The Bayou Gardener Family

I am sitting here with nothing to do, well, let me rephrase that, " I have plenty to do, but I ain't doing it because its cool right here and if I did those afore said things, I would have to leave this recliner and air conditioner and I ain't doing that, so I want to see how many people love kohlrabi like my wife and I do. We have never cooked it, just get the salt shaker and eat it raw. She puts in salad and cole slaw but we mostly eat it like you would an apple. A yankee moved here and told me about growing it, actually he was Lebanese, so he technically he was a Lebanese yankee. Old Mr. Saad grows a little garden behind his house, bad back and all, and grows a lot of stuff that most rednecks can't spell, much less grow it. I was one of those rednecks who had no clue what a kohlrabi was. He grew parsnips. I see pictures of them but I really don't know what they are, other than they look like a carrot who was just released from the hospital. What exactly do you do with a parsnip? I could look it up, but it will be more fun to read some of the answers from my very gifted constituents.

Back to kohlrabi. I grow Konan which is a very large,mild kohlrabi that you can let grow until its 5-6 inches in diameter and it still doesn't get woody. My wife does not eat greens of any kind( she is a yankee from Pennsylvania, married to me for 45 years in Alabama and she ain't never touched a turnip green. She will eat kale in a salad, though. go figure?) and I don't care for collards, so we have never tried eating the tops which are supposed to taste similar to collards. Anybody else a kohlrabi freak or did I just waste 10 minutes of my life writing this?

Well, what else were you going to do with them ten minutes..... 

Grew it the year Donald first did his video on them, and man we loved it. I wasn't sure about the greens, but I did taste them and recalled they seemed edible to me. Have since not grown as nice a crop (as with many things in my garden) looking forward to trying it again this year though. 

We cubed it up with a cubed up ham steak and fried it a bit, recall how much we enjoyed that. 

• Like 1

As another yankee from pennsylvania southern transplant..i cant say much about kohlrabi...biy i know you can use parsnip in carrot cake instead of carrots.  I have also made parsnip soup.  Most folks just oven roast them tho.

This is my first year growing kohlrabi and so far we love it!

Raw I will slice it and eat it with a little salt or we like a kohlrabi and shredded apple slaw 

Cooked I make a skillet dish with Kohlrabi, sausage and pineapple

and I also make  a  Kohlrabi Gratin that is tasty.

Parsnip has a nice peppery flavor so I like it roasted and in soups.

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Maggie that dish sounds great. Do you mind sharing how you make it. Oh and by  the way what does raw kohlrabi taste like, somewhat like cabbage or cauliflower, or some other cole crop.

"gene"

I had never heard of it until reading about it with this group. But I‘m willing to give it a try. The wife is a little skeptical But I figure I can make a place for it in the garden

9 hours ago, PawPaw "gene" said:

Maggie that dish sounds great. Do you mind sharing how you make it. Oh and by  the way what does raw kohlrabi taste like, somewhat like cabbage or cauliflower, or some other cole crop.

"gene"

It tastes sorta' like a lot of things, throw in an apple and cucumber and any maybe get close. It has a unique flavor thats hard to describe except its good

9 hours ago, PawPaw "gene" said:

"gene"

I started a thread I do hope everyone add to it I always am looking for new recipes.

KOHLRABI RECIPES

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY