The Bayou Gardener Family
Cajun Hydroponics

Dragon fruit

Hey Danny AKA Bobcat. I started seeds from the one I bought. I wasn't really impressed with the flavor but it's not bad. Maybe it needed to be ripened more, IDK but I'll try to grow some for kicks.

• Like 1

Rob if it's the one you sent me the picture of it looked a little over ripe. 

When I go pick up the other cuttings I will see if I can get a fresh off the vine one. And drop by your house with it. 

There are many different varities. Some look the exact same but taste totally different. 

hey CH.  I have never seen a dragon fruit plant/cutting.  it looks like one of the little succulents my older daughter grows...or maybe an aloe plant.  is it in the same sort of family?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, woodchip gardener said:

hey CH.  I have never seen a dragon fruit plant/cutting.  it looks like one of the little succulents my older daughter grows...or maybe an aloe plant.  is it in the same sort of family?

Here you go Chip. Taken from a website. 

the plant is a vining cactus with fleshy three sided growth and spins along the edge of this growth. The plant creates huge night blooming flowers that are beautiful and fragrant. If the flower is pollinated it will create one of the most amazing fruits. Varieties can be either red, pink, green or yellow skin with white, pink, purple, or red flesh. The fruit sizes can vary ranging from 0.5 pounds to a whopping 3.0 pounds in size. The fruit is easy to peel with a kiwi type texture and eatable seeds. Dragon Fruits has taste ranges from mild to sweet to complex. Dragon Fruit is superb eaten chilled, but can also be enjoyed when juiced, cubed in salads, or even as jams. For great uses of Dragon Fruit check out our Pinterest page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, woodchip gardener said:

thanks CH.  that was very informative!  I have seen the white ones on a food network sort of show...but not the other colors!  nice! 

Its something I started looking into because I was give my a few cuttings. There are so many color varities and flavors its mind blowing. And they are coming up with new flavors all the time by crossing the plants. 

Learning more and more about them has just made me want to try more varities. I have most of the color and flavor varities I have been looking for. And its gonna be a fun adventure to grow and wait as long as 2 years for the first flowers. 

Also the lil man is super excited because he thinks they grow dragon eggs and wants to hatch a dragon! 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 6:15 PM, Cajun Hydroponics said:

Ohh if your starting seeds. Its gonna be a while you in it for the long haul. Lol 5 to 7 years before the first flower! 

I might be on Social Security by then if it's still around, LOL!!

They have a good germination rate, these were started on the 18th. I saw a woman use this method and gave it a try. It's a gallon ziplock bag blown up with the seeds on a damp papertowel. The hard part is gonna be transplanting these little things, next time I'll start them in a pot and not worry about it.

100_5445.JPG

100_5446.JPG

100_5447.JPG

2 hours ago, Rajun Gardener said:

They have a good germination rate, these were started on the 18th. I saw a woman use this method and gave it a try. It's a gallon ziplock bag blown up with the seeds on a damp papertowel. The hard part is gonna be transplanting these little things, next time I'll start them in a pot and not worry about it.

100_5445.JPG

100_5446.JPG

100_5447.JPG

Plant them in some cactus soil. They are easily overwatered. 

I will take a couple if you can spare them! 

2 hours ago, Rajun Gardener said:

100_5445.JPG

100_5446.JPG

100_5447.JPG

I have a pile of those small pots 4 inch I think if you need some 

I transplant small seedlings like that all the time! Just pick them up by the leaves. I use a pencil to make a hole in the soil, then push the seedling down the hole with it. Once it is at the proper level, use a kitchen fork to compress the soil in on the plant and water to keep the roots from drying out. I have great success with this method. It is so popular in the UK, they have what is called a "pricking Dibber" to do it with.

Wade

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, woodchip gardener said:

now the little man has his own jungle...lol. 

Yes he does. Lol. He helped bring them all inside with just a little damage. 

It will take about 3 years and the jungle will be real in the front yard with these things. They grow well for the most part here. Juat gotta protect a little during the winter.

are the stalks still inside?  how did they do over the winter?  do you have to harden them off like a regular plant since they have been inside?

updates...we need updates!!!

1 hour ago, woodchip gardener said:

are the stalks still inside?  how did they do over the winter?  do you have to harden them off like a regular plant since they have been inside?

updates...we need updates!!!

Hey chip! I brought them outside a couple weeks ago. Not much growth through the winter. The little that they did have took a hit with a cold front while I was at work. 

Haven't shared pictures because there's really nothing looking different yet. They should start growing well as it heats up. 

Looking forward to seeing them grow. Got alot of repotting coming up soon! 

About 20 years ago I sowed some seeds from a red skinned white on the inside fruit I bought.  It took me about 4 years till I had my first fruit.  

A couple of days ago I bought another one, but this time it was a Yellow skinned white fruit.  It was the best tasting one I have ever had and I have eaten a mess of them over the years.  I decided to try sprouting the seeds and I am pretty excited to be growing them again.   The flowers are very attractive. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deus Vult said:

About 20 years ago I sowed some seeds from a red skinned white on the inside fruit I bought.  It took me about 4 years till I had my first fruit.  

A couple of days ago I bought another one, but this time it was a Yellow skinned white fruit.  It was the best tasting one I have ever had and I have eaten a mess of them over the years.  I decided to try sprouting the seeds and I am pretty excited to be growing them again.   The flowers are very attractive. 

The flowers are very nice to look at!  They also vary from variety to variety. 

I tasted a mess of them grown here locally and the purple inside was what I found the best. 

In about 3 years I will have a jungle on my hands with all the plants I have started! 

• Like 2

I put my seeds out in a pot about a month ago and they are sprouting now.  Kind of slow germination,  but I just stuck them outside in a pot.  

Getting a little excited to grow these again.

31 minutes ago, Deus Vult said:

I put my seeds out in a pot about a month ago and they are sprouting now.  Kind of slow germination,  but I just stuck them outside in a pot.  

Getting a little excited to grow these again.

If you think the germanation is slow, wait for them to grow from seeds! 

It will be a fun experiment for sure. 

Where did you get your seeds?

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2020 at 10:55 PM, Deus Vult said:

Purchased the fruit from Saraland, Alabama Publix.

Edited by Deus Vult

Good luck with them! 

Share some pictures if you can when you have a chance! 

We had a late frost here while I was away at work and it killed off some of the new growth I had. 

Hoping after the weekend to have them out in their spot off the porch and will get some pictures taken of mine