Bayou Gardener Family

Pistol Ammunition

My wife and I are taking our "LTC" (license to carry) class this Saturday and have been practicing our pistol shooting skills so they are up to par for the class. I suppose just like toilet paper, that all the ammo has been hoarded up. We keep several boxes of the calibers we shoot but will be running low soon. Every local store is sold out of .380 and .45 and it appears to be out of stock also online. 

My question is, who do you use as a trusted source for online ordering?  I guess what the hoarders don't realize is that once all the ammo is gone, it seems that the little bit that becomes available is marked up 50%. The price never comes back down to pre-hoarding prices. 

It's brutal right now.  This may be worse than Sandy Hook.  I reload most of my ammo, and I foolishly let myself get low on small pistol primers. 

There are none, ANYWHERE.  A box of 1,000 primers usually cost $35.  They are going on gunbroker right now for $300 and $400.  I've got enough stashed away for emergencies, but I'm about to have to seriously limit my range trips.

As far as online ammo sources, try Palmetto State Armory, MidSouth Shooter's supply and Sportsman's Guide. 

Or like BSG said, Ammoseek.com can be helpful during times like this when there's hardly any.

Edited by Boudin
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, Boudin said:

It's brutal right now.

Yep, it is. I wanted an AR-15 with multiple high capacity magazines, but nothing around here. I have pistols and shotguns with plenty of ammo, but due to recent events, I think I need something to reach out there and touch somebody. I may have to settle on what rifle I can get ammo for. We have plenty of rounds for the pistols and several for the shotguns, although I am going to purchase some more when I go back to the gun shop. You can alternate buckshot and goose loads and do a lot of damage. We will have to fight, ya'll do know that don't you? Otherwise, we will lose it all

• Like 2

I have equipment to load rifle ammunition and have plenty of it. I have never loaded pistol ammo and honestly never had any desire to do so but going forward that my have to be a consideration. Everywhere I look, things are backordered. Like I said in my original posts, my concern is that once the shortage begins, the price goes up and then it never returns to normal even when supply catches back up. 

• Like 1

There has been an on going effort inside our government for some years now to produce a "Marker" in gun powders where it can be traced to where in was made/sold, whatever. It is my understanding this has already been done, at least on some basis. And secondly, to produce a flaw in all gun powders that only allow it to last an indifinate period of time. This sounds like the government that I know, therefore, I emmagine it is true. 

It has also been reported widly that since it is impossible to control the guns here, they are working to control/ limit componants and ammo. That big bad "assult" rifle just doesn't seem so bad if you can't get ammo for it!

Wade

• Like 2
3 hours ago, 1shotwade said:

That big bad "assult" rifle just doesn't seem so bad if you can't get ammo for it!

Like my friend the ex Army Ranger says, "All I need to know is who has what I need." 🙂

• Like 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Hey Double B. 

I don't know if you have an Academy Sports in your town, but I scored 10 boxes of 9MM from them this week.

My nephew has been going by there in the mornings looking for AR ammo, and I asked him if he found some 9mm  to pick it up for me. He says you have to go right at opening because everything they have will be gone in an hour.   It's hit or miss, but he said he's found handgun ammo in stock around half the time. 

• Like 2

At our large store in the city that sells farming supplies, there is any kind of ammo you want. Seldom do they run out. Must be a population thing. Maybe everyone here already has plenty. Not me though. All my guns and ammo were lost in a boating accident. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
  • 2 months later...

With the new occupants of 1600 Pa. Ave, you can book on there being no ammo for a long, long time.

The citizens are quite alarmed and are stocking up for a rainy day... a rainy day like Noah's ark kind of rainy day.

• Like 1