The Bayou Gardener Family
BigSkyGardener

Walk-in Refrigerator

I have started building a new walk-in refrigerator to put all of my vegetables in. I don't have enough space.

I will post progress pictures as I go.

These are the first few. Shows just the framing.

20200820_202107-resized.jpg

20200820_202125-resized.jpg

• Like 3

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

I don't remember if it was the last forum or the forum Donald lost but a member of the forum Vince Silverfox from Canada built one.He  had lots of pictures of the build. He did join this forum but is not very active. I know you have the last forum archived and you may be able to see the pictures.

I just think it is funny that you and Vince who live in very cold climates are the people who build refrigerators to save their produce. If I remember Vince lived way up in Canada and when he came down to the Bayou Gardener Get Together He said he drove further South to get out of Canada then from Canada border to Donald's house.

• Like 2

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Posted (edited)

Here are a few more pictures. I have all of the insulation in the walls, and have some of the sheeting up. I have to go get some 10' 2x4's to do the ceiling.

20200822_120505-resized.jpg

20200822_120457-resized.jpg

I painted the floor real quick before I leave so it will be dry when I get back.

20200822_121837-resized.jpg

The white dots on the floor are the sun shining through a small hole in the ceiling. This is inside of my hog barn that hasn't had hogs in it in 35 years.

I hate fiberglass insulation.

More to come.

Edited by BigSkyGardener
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Returned from the store. Needed to mortgage my house to pay for the lumber. 2x4x10 was $7.26 each.

Got the ceiling framed in.

20200822_173641-resized.jpg

Put the insulation up.

20200822_185411-resized.jpg

Put another coat of paint on the floor.

20200822_185427-resized.jpg

Put in all of the electrical boxes. Will run the wire and finish the sheeting tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks super BSG. What will you use for the refrigeration?

@Double B

I have a system that I scrounged from a remodel. It has a semi-hermetic compressor that was only 4 months old when taken out of service. I will post the pictures of hooking it up.

I scrounge most everything and re-purpose it. I call it my inventory my wife calls it my junk. I happen to know that the compressor was $3300.00 to replace. I couldn't just junk it. Could I?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BSG!

Junk it? No way! I think it's very admirable to save it from the junk yard and turn it in to something useful. I can't wait to see this when you are finished. Thanks for letting us follow you along on this project. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks good Big Sky

How big is it?

We have a smallish walk in cooler It was here when we bought the house.

lurker.gif I will be right here waiting for you to post your next  installment.

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Had to stop for today to pick and peddle some corn and tomatoes.

All the tomatoes I have left are reducing in a 5 gallon pot right now. Going to spend the day canning and freezing.

The inside dimensions are 8 x 11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great work Big Sky. 🙂 Looking forward to following this project too. 🙂