The Bayou Gardener Family
alwaystj9

Citrus eating caterpillars

I thought it was bird poop on the leaves, then I realized it would have take a whole lot of to  make this much poop.

Then I noticed the chewed leaves. The bird poop was caterpillars. I picked them off, took pictures, then fed them to my chickens.

After looking at the pics and looking them up online, they are giant Swallowtail Butterflies in caterpillar stage.

Now I feel guilty because I really like butterflies.

They didn't appear to have antenna until I poked one, then it unfurled a pretty impressive orangy set and it kind of puffed up.

The last pic is from the internet and it says it is a "mature caterpillar". I thought a "mature caterpillar" was a butterfly.

IMG_20200823_181456_kindlephoto-117083498.jpg

IMG_20200823_181743.jpg

IMG_20200823_181430_kindlephoto-117115073.jpg

IMG_20200823_181336.jpg

IMG_20200823_181419.jpg

e935d5-lb.jpg

• Like 1

I probably would of squished them too!

And like you  then felt bad knowing how beautiful they look as a butterfly.fpalm.gif

They are one ugly caterpillar.solopuke.gif

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

I leave them be. they don't strip a tree the way the southern army caterpillar or tomato hornworm can.  I also grow passion flower vine and dutchman's pipe vine just for the catepillars/butterflys.

One cool March morning the wife and I found this swallowtail that had probably just came out of the cocoon. it stayed dormant for 30 minutes then flew off.

20190317_095452.jpg

DSCN3121.JPG

20190317_095256.jpg

• Like 2

They are BEAUTIFUL as a Butterfly

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

I found a bunch of these on our lemon tree this spring. I think they look like a snakes head. I dispatched them.

Yep i used to pass my satsuma tree and see all this "bird shit" on the leaves, then a couple of weeks later, no more leaves. Didnt take me too long to figure out what that was. Funny the ones I planted in the pasture have not had them as often as the one planted in the back closer to sparse trees.