The Bayou Gardener Family
Sign in to follow this  
2010 National Champs

Bella Rosa and DIXIE! Red tomato seed

has arrived. Those two will be my main tomatoes from this point onward, with a few big beef and celebrities, to boot. Those two are produce more big tomatoes than anyone around here can believe. I will be able to plant fewer tomatoes next season. They produce massive amounts tomatoes in about a 2-3 week period and then they are done, then I can pick the celebrities and big beef in smaller amounts. These Bella Rosa's have handled the heat something great, as did the DR's. I hate to throw dirt at the big beefs because they are a fine tomato, but the BR's are something else

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's great Champ. So I take it the BRs  and Dixie Reds are over and done with since determinate -  I do wish  they would keep blooming to a lesser degree.  I  would  love to raise the Dixies especially with such a pretty name . 🙂 .  and my puppy's name is DIXIE too.  ha. I need my tomato crop spread out over a long time period though so guess I need to stick with indeterminate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bordercollie said:

So I take it the BRs  and Dixie Reds are over and done with since determinate

They are still producing, but winding down. They have been on a tear for about 3 weeks now

• Like 1

I must agree with Champ. Bella Rosa and Dixie Red's are the way to go. We had 38 Bella Rosa plants in the garden. We picked well over 400+ lbs of maters off these plants. 

• Like 2

Champs, I'll try the Dixie Red next year.   I have grown Bella Rosa and you are right, they are great.

I'll go with my Better Boys and those other two as well.

Looking forward to starting/building my new greenhouse and want to try a few tomatoes in buckets as well.   I will try those 3 and see if they can handle the plastic.

• Like 2

From seed to first ripe tomatoes, whats yalls average time on the bella rosa?