The Bayou Gardener Family
Cajun Hydroponics

Greenhouse build in town

Dirt work pretty much done finally for the Big GH its 34x60. Still have some low spots on the corner and along the edge. But will take care of that when I get the small excavator to dig the "pond" in the middle for the solution.

This will be a hydroponic GH but unlike my last one I will be trying to run as much as possible under ground. Also painting as much as I can to prevent the alge from growing. I have learned from the first one plenty of pros and cons about the way it was put together. Hoping this one will be here for a long time so wanting to do it right. And have all the ideas from the first one put into use now.

I am also working on the lettuce house but dont have any pictures of it yet. It will be used for lettuce and strawberries. Along with storing the dragon fruit during the winter.

Talking my time and doing it right from the start... as best I know. But there wont be anything planted until it's like it needs to be. Not gonna be growing and building at the same time again. 

20190924-182208.jpg

received-2473298686285726.jpg
lead nitrate molar mass

• Like 2

Looking good and a busy summer. 

I finally built me a small greenhouse 8'x10' for propagation.  This winter, I was going to do a 10'x20' one but thinking of moving next summer.  I'm just trying winter tomatoes in the small greenhouse.

Edited by Jimmiec
Edit
  • Like 1

I spent all summer (May to September) offshore Mexico and didn't get to be in the garden much.  You know how those 30 days jobs go and turn into 4 months long ones.  Family picked a lot tomatoes and eggplants that were leaned and lowered.  Not too much with the peppers that I know of.  I'll grow them lower and lean again next year.  I like caged tomatoes too but I sure can get a lot of plants into a small area and lots of varieties.  I had some pepper starts going for the fall but they got killed during my last shift.  Home now and trying to get caught up 

• Like 1

I dont think I will be growing anything but  lettuce and strawberries again this fall. Did nothing this summer. It was nice having the extra time but boy did I miss the work and the fresh veggies. Hoping to have the maters going by the end of December so I can have a little early spring crop. 

I'm still here if you need help with anything. Just staying busy with the dragon fruit and GHs! 

• Thanks 1

Any chance you have time for an update? Would really enjoy seeing some pictures of the progress.

• Like 3

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

On 10/10/2019 at 5:47 PM, Maggie13 said:

Any chance you have time for an update? Would really enjoy seeing some pictures of the progress.

Hey Maggie back on rotation. 

There was not much to update.... the town shut me down on the sizes for both Ghs. Before starting the builds I had spoken to the mayor.he said no need for a permit. Its agricultural. 

Well the mayor is no longer the mayor. There's a new one. And all of a sudden after a few POS called because it don't fit into what they think should be in the town. I need a permit. 

Well for a permit windloads are needed. Neither of the GHs have wind loads nor can I get something saying what a possible wind load could be.

Anyway no inspection needed for anything under 500 sq foot. So instead of 1 GH in the front yard there will be 4. 2 at 14.6 x 34 and 2 at 12 x 34. 

The one in the back will be 2. 18 x 20 both. It will increase the cost and reduce the sq footage but I ain't giving up. Doing what I need to do to have them. 

Will actually be nice to have the separate places for each of the plant varieties. 

2 hours ago, Cajun Hydroponics said:

Hey Maggie back on rotation. 

There was not much to update.... the town shut me down on the sizes for both Ghs. Before starting the builds I had spoken to the mayor.he said no need for a permit. Its agricultural. 

Well the mayor is no longer the mayor. There's a new one. And all of a sudden after a few POS called because it don't fit into what they think should be in the town. I need a permit. 

Well for a permit windloads are needed. Neither of the GHs have wind loads nor can I get something saying what a possible wind load could be.

Anyway no inspection needed for anything under 500 sq foot. So instead of 1 GH in the front yard there will be 4. 2 at 14.6 x 34 and 2 at 12 x 34. 

The one in the back will be 2. 18 x 20 both. It will increase the cost and reduce the sq footage but I ain't giving up. Doing what I need to do to have them. 

Will actually be nice to have the separate places for each of the plant varieties. 

That is exactly why I moved out of the city, too many restrictions.  Only thing we have is loose safety codes which I agree with.  As you said the change of power in the city the new powers that be have to flex their muscles at your expense.

love country living.

• Like 2

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

4 hours ago, bigboberta said:

That is exactly why I moved out of the city, too many restrictions.  Only thing we have is loose safety codes which I agree with.  As you said the change of power in the city the new powers that be have to flex their muscles at your expense.

love country living.

It's actually the same in the whole vermilion parish either in the country or the town. 

I set it up in the country with no permit always waiting for someone to stop and fuss. 

If I wouldn't hate the cold and snow so much I would move the family back to Ohio where my wife and daughter are from. Out in the woods. 

• Like 1

Oh and you can see the wiggle wire channel you can see in some of the pictures was stacked nice and out the way. 

But the big boss man decided that they were in the wrong place. Lol so after ninja wording with them and chopping flats he put them there where is the perfect spot!

TwoThumbs%20Up.gif It is good to see you making some forward progress!

Having a helper has its ups and downs but you are creating memories you will both laugh about when he is older.

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

TwoThumbs%20Up.gif It is great to see you growing again!

I look forward to future updates.

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

7 minutes ago, Maggie13 said:

TwoThumbs%20Up.gif It is great to see you growing again!

I look forward to future updates.

Thanks Maggie. 

It sure feels good to have something growing again. The excitement is back. 

That is just the first one there. I have another one I am working on in the back of it. Almost the exact same. 

Then the 4 in the front. Will be coming soon.

• Like 2

I'm looking  forward to your  lettuce greenhouse information . 🙂   What zone are you in? I'm in central MS and would love to grow lettuce  in the winter.. My main problem is  boggy weather/deer.   Even with an electric fence ... I have problems . Thank you. judy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bordercollie said:

I'm looking  forward to your  lettuce greenhouse information . 🙂   What zone are you in? I'm in central MS and would love to grow lettuce  in the winter.. My main problem is  boggy weather/deer.   Even with an electric fence ... I have problems . Thank you. judy

I'm south of Lafayette La about 20 miles. I think I am zone 9B. 

Growing in this hydroponic set up really makes it nice

• Like 1

Thats a great set up !   

Edited by bordercollie
delete duplicate message
  • Like 1

Seeds are taking well to the oasis cubes. I think I missed half a row in on try because the rest has had good germination. These are 4 trays with 8 different varieties of lettuce 

received-683850382023556.jpg
received-563149097774543.jpg
received-568742883930639.jpg
received-736463123444752.jpg

• Like 3

Pictures from pops place today.

First one is pops posing with his maters! Hes proud of then to say the least!!

Screenshot-20191118-172631-Photos.jpg

He ain't real good at cutting the sukers lol

IMG-20191118-171841335.jpg

Its gonna be a jungle come springtime

Screenshot-20191118-172137-Photos.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

Y'all have lots to be proud of...wonderful set up and things looking so good.

Thanks rabbit. 

It's been some ups and downs. But hopefully soon all will be up and going. But it's nice to have the backup to get tomatoes from pops! 

• Like 2

Where can I learn more about your impressive hydroponic set up? Are those gutters and sealed on ends and the water flows out, pumps up and recycles  or ..  ? I'm in pre kindergarten on  how you do it. I would like a small set up for a tiny green house of about 8x10. I had a complete fail with the tubs.. .  I already have a small water pump and air pump along with the clay pebbles and " rockwool cubes " but just not confident about the system with my lack of knowledge so any pointers are appreciated. Thank you !   judy

4 hours ago, bordercollie said:

Where can I learn more about your impressive hydroponic set up? Are those gutters and sealed on ends and the water flows out, pumps up and recycles  or ..  ? I'm in pre kindergarten on  how you do it. I would like a small set up for a tiny green house of about 8x10. I had a complete fail with the tubs.. .  I already have a small water pump and air pump along with the clay pebbles and " rockwool cubes " but just not confident about the system with my lack of knowledge so any pointers are appreciated. Thank you !   judy

Bordercollie I have a youtube cajun hydroponics. Not a whole bunch of information on how I do it more of just updates on what I have growing. 

I am planning on doing a little more in depth video on the second lettuce house. For the lettuce runs. Its pvc Downspouts. Open ended on both ends. But pinched on the high side and have a drip edge on the low side. 

I will make a video in the morning and post it here explaining and showing more in depth. 

Rajun Gardener has a great tutorial on the old fourm in the GH section with building the the Dutch buckets.

Here the link

http://webcajun.com/thebayougardener/smf/index.php?topic=973.0

If you have more questions it's easier to explain on a video or if need be the phone. 

Me explaining here in text sometimes dont come across well when the cajun kicks in lol. 

Another place to look into different types of hydroponics is CBs greenhosue and garden on YouTube. He had alot of great info on different ways of growing from hydroponics, to raised beds, to growing in straw bails. 

If you check him out leave him a comment and tell him I sent you. Really great guy. 

If you have any questions you can think about before tomorrow please feel free to ask and I will answer in the video tomorrow. 

If you have more questions after the video please feel free to ask. Growing hydroponics to me with the amount of time I tend to be away is the most efficient way without having to worry about grass. 

• Like 1