The Bayou Gardener Family
2010 National Champs

Okay, I got a big idea!

Those words usually strike terror into my wife when I say them. She knows that those words mean two specific things: 1. I am about to spend a lot of money and/or #2. I am going to get hurt. Sometimes, but not as much as she will tell you, its both. She will exaggerate and say that I will spent $500 to make somethings that I could buy for $10. That is simply not true. $250 is my limit!

Anyway, I do like to piddle and make stuff out of junk or readily available things around the house. I had bad luck with battery operated backpack sprayers. They just won't last, but man do I like how they operate. No pumping, just mix, stick the battery in and spray,spray,spray. I have now in the planning stage of building me a supped up sprayer!. Since I used to be a tournament bassfisherman, I know all about livewell pumps, and since I was always in a hurry to get the boat in water and haul ass, I know a lot about bilge pumps,too. (All fishermen will understand). Here is my plan and please stop me if you think that  I need intervention:

I intend to take a large cooler and fix it to the Gorilla wagon that I use. Then make a base for the livewell pump and fix it to the lid on the cooler, then run the pickup hose through the lid to the bottom of the cooler. OR, attach a bilge pump to the bottom of the cooler and run the hose through the lid. Then attach a small 12 volt battery to the wagon,connect to the pump with a switch installed and then attach a section of stout garden hose to the pump. Now, I have had to send 3 Chapin sprayers back and forgot to send the spare wand back on two of them, plus I have an entire sprayer in the utility room that worked until the warranty was out, so I have spare wands. I jwill just make sure there is room between rows and I can make the hose as long as I want. Whatchall' think? I think that I can do it for $100 or maybe less. Any kind of battery sprayer is more than that. Be gentle, and I need to make sure this works on the first try because my wife loves the word "dumbass", usually with the word "hey" in front of it. Husbands with long marriages will understand that, also

• Like 2

https://www.fimcoindustries.com/sprayers/spot-sprayers/pid77/fimco-15-gallon-standard-spot-sprayer-1-2-gpm/

What will you be spraying with this new invention, Champs? I use this 15 gallon sprayer and can buy it every day for $99. Sometimes it is on sale for as little as $79. 

I do like your idea of creating something out of stuff you have laying around. Repurposing always sounds like fun. And yes, I have been married for a long time too, so I completely understand. 

• Like 2

The trick is to get enough pressure from the bilge pump.  Might try a 12 volt wash down pump, but it might be too strong. Good luck.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is the one I use, 5 gallons will go a long way, I mix 4 gallons. I use it for Roundup to spray the fence lines approx. 3000', the ditch bank about 100', 3 sheds approx. 300' and around the house. Never put pesticides in it, only herbicides.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200727341_200727341

This is what I use in the garden. Never put herbicides in it, only for pesticides. It is a hand pump, but you pump 5 or 6 pumps and you can spray a 100' row.

https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-International-61800-Backpack-Translucent/dp/B000UEMJ3W/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2KJNYV8OI0FQY&dchild=1&keywords=backpack+sprayers+in+lawn+and+garden&qid=1598896383&sprefix=back+pack+sprayer%2Caps%2C1101&sr=8-13

Edited by bigboberta
  • Like 2

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Places like TSC will discout stuff like that in the fall rather than carry the inventory. I have one of the cheaper tank sprayers with a small HP motor. It will only reach half way up on my pear tree. My brother has the next size up and his can cover the entire tree.

Wade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigboberta said:

This is the one I use, 5 gallons will go a long way, I mix 4 gallons. I use it for Roundup to spray the fence lines approx. 3000', the ditch bank about 100', 3 sheds approx. 300' and around the house. Never put pesticides in it, only herbicides.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200727341_200727341

I just ordered this one, but in the 8 gallon size. I couldn't build one this cheap, at least not the way that I build things. My wife agreed that this was the correct approach

• Like 1

There was one other problem with your idea. The bilge pump runs all the time power is applied. The pump on the sprayer you ordered has a pressure switch that shuts it off when the pressure gets to the limit. Saves your battery and doesn't try to pump against a closed circuit. It is also a pressure type of pump, where the bilge pump isn't designed for that. I do like the cut of your jib though. If you are fancy, you can add an additional wand to the sprayer and get your wife to help. 🙂

• Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

10 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

get your wife to help.

surely you jest?

6 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

There was one other problem with your idea. The bilge pump runs all the time power is applied. The pump on the sprayer you ordered has a pressure switch that shuts it off when the pressure gets to the limit. Saves your battery and doesn't try to pump against a closed circuit. It is also a pressure type of pump, where the bilge pump isn't designed for that. I do like the cut of your jib though. If you are fancy, you can add an additional wand to the sprayer and get your wife to help. 🙂

I was going to put a switch to cut it off when I wasn't spraying, but since I ordered a sprayer, all of those technical things don't matter now. Redneck ingenuity and innovation would have figured out a way to do it without burning up too many pumps!

• Like 4

Ida said get a pump out of an old camper, those are positive Displacement pumps and will make pressure whereas the bilge pump would have made low pressure but plant volume. I made one one time, too much trouble but I still got the lil pmp I bought, Simer is the brand, with a rubber impeller like the mercury waterpump impellers.