The Bayou Gardener Family
Double B

Dehydrating Okra

I was at the grocery store a while back and saw some small clear containers of dehydrated okra. It looked like it only had some salt on it and also looked crunchy. Not sure why I didn't buy some to try but I just about have enough okra put up to last us until next year and I thought about doing this. Do any of you dehydrate okra and if so, is there a special process to it? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Double B said:

I was at the grocery store a while back and saw some small clear containers of dehydrated okra. It looked like it only had some salt on it and also looked crunchy. Not sure why I didn't buy some to try but I just about have enough okra put up to last us until next year and I thought about doing this. Do any of you dehydrate okra and if so, is there a special process to it? 

I tasted some dehydrated okra a few years ago, and I liked it. However, I do not know how to dry it. I like the idea....maybe google it. Would make a great snack!

• Like 2

I have googled this since posting and there appears to be many different ideas on it. I don't want to re-hydrate it, just use it for a snack. I'll try it tomorrow when I cut the okra and see how it turns out. One lady washed, dried and then split it in half. She then put some oil on it and seasoned it with all kinds of good seasonings. She dehydrated it for 16 hours and 145 degrees and it did look good. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Double B said:

yep, but this is the first year that we have dehydrated stuff. I just asked the wife and she said all she does is slice it up and throw it in there until it dries out

• Like 4

I need to know how to do it properly. A couple of years ago , I tried to dehydrate sliced okra and it was like eating little  overly  dried  raisins. Maybe I dried  it too much ?? Not crunchy but tough and chewy. 😞  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:56 PM, bordercollie said:

I need to know how to do it properly. A couple of years ago , I tried to dehydrate sliced okra and it was like eating little  overly  dried  raisins. Maybe I dried  it too much ?? Not crunchy but tough and chewy. 😞  

Sounds like not enough drying.

I've never dried okra.

I am currently dehydrating bell peppers like a fiend. I will reconstitute them before using. I canned 36 half pints, but it seems like it is just wasting jars.

Was going to do some sun dried tomatoes today. Looks like the smoke from the Oregon/Washington fires might be getting here right now. Might have to re-think that.

Edited by BigSkyGardener
  • Like 3

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.