The Bayou Gardener Family
Maggie13

What is blooming?

Mudhog started this thread  on the old site and I would miss not having one here.

I will kick it off with this: Summer flocks 

i-XJch75g-XL.jpg

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Last year I started a few Maypop plants in containers I set in the yard, I forgot about them and they froze. I thought they were dead and just emptied the pots this Spring and one plant survived and stated growing. It's late but should make a few fruits to save seeds from.

100-5398.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rajun Gardener said:

Last year I started a few Maypop plants in containers I set in the yard, I forgot about them and they froze. I thought they were dead and just emptied the pots this Spring and one plant survived and stated growing. It's late but should make a few fruits to save seeds from.

100-5398.jpg

Remember eating them as a kid.  Caution they can become invasive.

Bob

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

The Firebushes are blooming like crazy. I cut them off even with the ground each winter and they come back strong. The bees and hummingbirds love them. 

64B6BEC9-D433-4686-8C8A-05CA73044641.jpeg

81A47ABC-06F6-41D6-8810-6BD2CABB2534.jpeg

• Like 2

i love this thread!  they are all so pretty! 

i wish i could grow flowers!  i have put some lilies, iris and other perennials in the ground, but they have to be plants I can plant and ignore.  lol.   i kill annuals every year when I forget to go out front to water them.  i put fake flowers out there last year and this year.  lol.

This summer I grew a plant that was new to me ,but highly recommended. It was Sunflower Mexican Torch, or Tithonia rotundiflora.  It grew to 7 feet tall and was something thing to see. The butterflies and bumble bees loved these flowers. During Sept. when the butterflies are abundant there would be at least 8 large butterflies and a dozen skippers and bumblebees all through the day.  plants got so big and heavy that I had to stake them.  I got the seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed company, but I am saving the seed pods for next year.

DSCN2766.JPG

DSCN2731.JPG

DSCN2728.JPG

• Like 4

This time of the year we have to look for beauty in more muted colors! Big%20Grin2%20(1).gif

i-SpMTHZZ-M.jpg

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

free-indifferent-smileys-746.gifThe only thing  blooming  around here is the work of Jack Frost.on the HT window panes

i-W8ZX5rX-M.jpg

i-TfLKBkx-L.jpg 

i-jbFpvKx-L.jpg

i-QkFMTGP-L.jpg

i-QknkT7f-XL.jpg

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

I didn't realize that Jack was so tall and artistic. Those panes are amazing Magee.

• Like 1

Wow....beautiful natural art. Ha, we would have to buy already frosted like that panes to stick on our windows to have that effect!!!

3 minutes ago, whitetrouts said:

how did you grow that?? It is amazing.

tink2.gif Magic!

wink15.gif

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY