Bayou Gardener Family

Squirrel hunting

2 hours ago, ol hippie said:

I’ll give up on eating the squirrels but will keep on eating my deer meat. Unless I start see any with that chronic waste disease. Anyone squirrel hunt but not eat them? 

We don't eat them but they are so destructive that I shoot them whenever I see any around the house.  After several years of that they seemed to have figured it out and they stay in the woods on the far end of our farm and I leave those alone.

• Like 2
Guest bigboberta
10 hours ago, ol hippie said:

I’ll give up on eating the squirrels but will keep on eating my deer meat. Unless I start see any with that chronic waste disease. Anyone squirrel hunt but not eat them? 

I used to hunt them when I was younger and never ate them, gave them to family. I always called them fuzzy tailed tree rats.

Edited by bigboberta

That makes me feel better.  My wife says after all the damage they’ve done and all the choice words I called them at times there’s nothing wrong with shooting them and leave um for something else to eat. They do need thinning out. I just can’t find anyone to give them to, but that’s nothing new, same with vegetables out of garden.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, ol hippie said:

That makes me feel better.  My wife says after all the damage they’ve done and all the choice words I called them at times there’s nothing wrong with shooting them and leave um for something else to eat. They do need thinning out. I just can’t find anyone to give them to, but that’s nothing new, same with vegetables out of garden.

Wow...wish I lived near you....I would take anything from the garden you had to offer!!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been having a good squirrel season. Had just about forgot how good it feels to squirrel hunt. Also got my last doe for the season in the freezer this past weekend. 

• Like 4