The Bayou Gardener Family

I made a small batch of tasso and it came out fantastic. 

vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h09m17s882.png
vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h09m56s131.png
vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h10m04s962.png
vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h10m24s691.png

Ingredients:

1 pork butt sliced into 1" x 2" strips

andouille seasoning, I used Targil's from Opelousas, it's perfectly spicy and the prices are cheap with reasonable shipping. It's not listed on the website so you have to call to get it. While you're ordering make sure to get all the other spice blends they offer. I'll leave a link below.

For the cure:

1 cup of brown sugar

1/2 cup of salt

1/2 cup of white sugar

1 tsp of cure #1, prague powder #1

1 gallon of water

Directions:

mix cure and add meat to a bowl or bag, make sure meat is covered and let sit in the fridge for 2 days.

After 2 days of brining, rinse meat to remove brine and pat dry with paper towels.

Season meat heavy with the andouille seasoning and marinate for 2 days in the fridge.

After 2 days remove and spread meat on a cooling rack to let the juices drip and dry for 2 hours, it's cured and won't spoil

Hang in smoker and let air dry for an hour then start smoking

Smoke the meat for 4 hours at 150 then bump the temp up to 200 for another 2 hours or till the meat gets to 165

Remove and let cool to room temperature

Vacuum package and freeze till needed.

Here's a short video of the process, sorry about the lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZ3Ntium0s&feature=youtu.be

https://targil.com/t/seasoning-blends

Edited by Rajun Gardener
  • Like 4

I made clam chowder, but it morphed into more of a bisque, sort of.... 

I started with all the usual suspects, diced onion, celery, carrot and had to throw my Cajun influence in it with the Tasso I made last weekend. I used 3 of the small cans of diced clams and saved the juice for broth. What's not in this pic is the 51-70 peeled shrimp and seasoning.
100-5605.jpg
Olive oil in the pot and dumped it all in to get soft, the tasso is already cooked so it's all flavor at this point.
100-5607.jpg
Cook it till soft then dump in potatoes.
100-5608.jpg
After a few minutes of cooking add 3 TBS of flour to make a roux/thickener.
100-5610.jpg
Cook to combine then add the clam juice.
100-5614.jpg
simmer for 10 minutes, add the shrimp then the heavy cream.
100-5619.jpg
Simmer for 10 minutes then add the clams.
100-5625.jpg
After 5 minutes add 1/2 tsp of Old Bay seasoning.
100-5627.jpg
Simmer for 5 more minutes, taste and adjust, I had to add a tsp of Tony's.
100-5628.jpg
Let that pot sit for 10 minutes to meld and thicken, THEN make a plate topped with green onions, Aleppo pepper flakes from the garden and fresh french bread, I just used the top and bottom to get that crispy crunch to dip in this masterpiece.
100-5630.jpg
It makes an awesome dip too!! I could fill up a bread bowl and be fat and happy ready for a nap!😋
100-5631.jpg
Wanna bite?
100-5632.jpg

Happy eating everyone!😎

Edited by Rajun Gardener
  • Like 3

I had to make a store run on Turkey day and scored a 2 rib roast for $24, last night I tried a different method of cooking it and it worked. I want to try this in the Pitboss 5 smoker, I think it should get hot enough to crust up the outside.

EVOO for a binder and Montreal Steak seasoning
I popped it in a 500F oven for 10 minutes
Lowered it to 300 for 30 minutes
Then dropped the temp to 200 till the IT was 129
I let it rest 20 minutes then popped it back into a 500 oven for 8 minutes to crust up.
I let it rest 10 minutes and sliced it up.

100-5682.jpg
100-5683.jpg
It was tender and juicy but red as can be, I had to cook a slice more for someone but it only took 30 seconds on a medium heated pan to turn it brown. You can see part of it at the bottom on the board
100-5684.jpg
100-5685.jpg
Served with leftovers!!
100-5686.jpg

• Like 2

Yuuuuummmmm, Ragun....You've got me hungry, and it is only 10am! The bisque and Rib roast  look heavenly. I am making potato soup today....got to get to the store before the rain sets in at 3pm and doesn't stop til 7am ,according to the weather report. I will make my dressing for Christmas this weekend,too, and freeze. This coming week also hope to be cooking greens for 3 days for the freezer.  Lots of cooking from this point on. When will I ever have time to Christmas shop?😮

• Like 2

I made a turkey for thanksgiving with mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, plain green beans for the little one, gravy and 2 pumpkin pies.  My father in law does not eat pumpkin pie and had mentioned his grandma used to make him blackberry dumplings.  I made that after dinner for him.  He said it was the flat rolled out dumplings, so luckily my mother in law had a nice plastic mat i could roll them on. I dropped them into the boiling berries mixture (which I had sugared the berries the day before and brought up to use) and let them cook a bit. He said it was darn close to his grandma's...so I will take the win. 

20191128_140709.jpg

• Like 3

lol wade...

tonight hub is working til 9, so i had baked boneless skinless chicken with italian seasoning and a ton of asparagus that i baked with salt and garlic powder.  it was good!

• Like 2

DANG, the Saints lost but I'm still a winner for 2 reasons.

Saints are still going to the playoffs and I just sampled 2 ribs, I think the ribs win over the game.

After only an hour of smoke

100-5714-1.jpg

And finally after resting for 15 minutes, these were cooked without wrapping and spritzed with a new concoction I made to get a dark bark.
100-5723-1.jpg
100-5722-1.jpg
100-5717-1.jpg

100-5720-1.jpg

I know it doesn't look like there's meat on those bones but it's so rich that you won't want a 3rd one and a delicacy for $10.
100-5721-1.jpg

• Like 2

I am with Hippie on this. Those ribs do look delicious and I can eat a pile of them. 

Rob, your cooking always looks good!

• Like 1