Jump to content
The Bayou Gardener Family
Rajun Gardener

Whatcha Eating?

Recommended Posts

Might be too cold where you are BigSky. 😀 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BigSkyGardener said:

@Davidx357

How do you grow the shrimp in your garden? I would like to try it. 🙂

 I catch them in my front yard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally BBQ Baby Back ribs, however, the store I went to recently was out (and given the circumstances I was not going to run around town looking for some) so I decided to try some St. Louis style. Prep them by removing the membrane and seasoning with Tony Chacere's More Spice seasoning (we call it "kicked up Tony's").  I cook my ribs on indirect heat on my Weber and baste them about every 30 minutes for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Have to say the ribs came out pretty good but I still prefer Baby Backs.

Here is the recipe for the "secret sauce" I baste with.  You can use it on any pork cut (I haven't tried it on chicken yet) and I always save some to have on the side.  This is easily tailored to your own liking:

2 8oz cans of tomato sauce

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/3 cup of honey

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup molasses

3 TBSP worcestershire

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp each of freshly-ground black pepper, onion powder and salt

Mix together well and bring to a boil on the stove. Reduce the heat to a simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until int reaches you desired level of thickness. I like it pretty thick.  One recipe was enough to baste the ribs in the photo and have a bit extra.

 

 

 

StLouis.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During this God-awful mess, we are taking the opportunity to go to the store as little as possible and clean out our pantry and freezer.I found a pack of squirrels I shot last fall and made a pot of dumplings last night.  I knew it was a homerun when my wife said.... We've been married for 9 years and you are just now making this????

SD.jpg

SD2.jpg

SD3.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garlic and parmesan creamed spinach with shrimp. Left out the eggs cause otherwise I get banned to the outdoors and its raining.

20200412_114211.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about yall's house, but at mine it's not Good Friday without a fish fry, even if it's just for 2.

Managed to sneak off from work on Thursday to go collect some ingredients.

sacs.jpg

sacs1.jpg

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boudin,

You got the best ingredient. Crappie is hard to beat. That makes my mouth water looking at the picture of it fried up. I better get out to the deep freezer and thaw me some out for tonight. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today made corn bread with sauteed onions and cheddar cheese in it. Turned out pretty good. The other photos are from recent experiments in cooking. Tuna noodle casserole and what was supposed to be a french toast casserole that turned into a souffle lol.  The cake i made as a family baking challenge with my brothers and sisters. 

20200520_123429.jpg

20200518_113246.jpg

20200516_091502.jpg

IMG_20200503_191157_01.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boudin that ain't fair showing pictures like that. My motor is broke and I won't get the new one until the end of next week. You fishing the Tickfaw, the Amite or some other beautiful  river in you area.

"gene" sacalait fishing fool

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do Ya'll remember Shoney's Strawberry pie? I kicked it up a notch and added bananas, chocolate and pecans.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 9:00 PM, PawPaw "gene" said:

Boudin that ain't fair showing pictures like that. My motor is broke and I won't get the new one until the end of next week. You fishing the Tickfaw, the Amite or some other beautiful  river in you area.

"gene" sacalait fishing fool

 

Those came out of 2 o'clock bayou in the northern part of the basin near Krotz Springs.   A buddy of mine fishes there a lot, and he took me.  It's a pretty little piece of water.  Hope you get your motor back in action soon! 

Edited by Boudin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 9:31 PM, woodchip gardener said:

Today made corn bread with sauteed onions and cheddar cheese in it. Turned out pretty good. The other photos are from recent experiments in cooking. Tuna noodle casserole and what was supposed to be a french toast casserole that turned into a souffle lol.  The cake i made as a family baking challenge with my brothers and sisters. 

20200520_123429.jpg

20200518_113246.jpg

20200516_091502.jpg

IMG_20200503_191157_01.jpg

Oh wow.....you have got me salivating like crazy here. Everything looks sooooo delish!!  The cake a piece of art!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My older daughter and her boyfriend are coming for dinner tonight. I got some little yellow squash at a local produce stand. Quartered them and rolled in shred parm with herbs.  Also got some small red potatoes. Trying the smashed potato thing tonight too. Both just went in the oven. Hopefully they will like them.

20200606_163544.jpg

20200606_162824.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, woodchip gardener said:

My older daughter and her boyfriend are coming for dinner tonight. I got some little yellow squash at a local produce stand. Quartered them and rolled in shred parm with herbs.  Also got some small red potatoes. Trying the smashed potato thing tonight too. Both just went in the oven. Hopefully they will like them.

20200606_163544.jpg

20200606_162824.jpg

If they don't, let me know and I'll be over for leftovers 😋 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt actually get to eat this one...lol. My neighbor had his 70th bday friday. I didnt know until that day so i told him to let me know and i would make him a treat for his bday. He said his grandma used to make a strawberry custard pie that he would like to have. I found a recipe online and made him one. I did cheat a bit and use a frozen pie crust (rolling out pie crust is such a mess) but it seemed to turn out ok. It was still warm when i took it over so they were gonna have it after supper. He said it looked like his grandma's pie so hopefully it tastes good. My hub likes custard but generally the kind i do on the stovetop. He said this looked good so now i have to make him one too. Lol.

20200607_121941.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man that looks good,made eggplant and shrimp stuffed peppers.... 

20200530_215334.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MPHymel said:

Man that looks good,made eggplant and shrimp stuffed peppers....

I can smell and taste that from here. Looks delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all keep cooking like that and I'm going to see if one of you will adopt me.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 6:27 PM, woodchip gardener said:

Didnt actually get to eat this one...lol. My neighbor had his 70th bday friday. I didnt know until that day so i told him to let me know and i would make him a treat for his bday. He said his grandma used to make a strawberry custard pie that he would like to have. I found a recipe online and made him one. I did cheat a bit and use a frozen pie crust (rolling out pie crust is such a mess) but it seemed to turn out ok. It was still warm when i took it over so they were gonna have it after supper. He said it looked like his grandma's pie so hopefully it tastes good. My hub likes custard but generally the kind i do on the stovetop. He said this looked good so now i have to make him one too. Lol.

20200607_121941.jpg

I have never had a strawberry custard pie...can just imagine how good it is. Plain ol  stove top custard is one of my favorite things in life. Hubby's aunt used to make it for us all the time...RIP, Aunt Connie.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my neighbors has a cherry plum tree that is loaded. They are dropping tons of the little cherry plums. He invited us to pick up all we want. I got a good number of them. They were very ripe. Tart skin and soft and sweet in the middle. This is what was left after we ate a bunch. I am making jam with the rest today.

20200630_132642.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 5:27 PM, woodchip gardener said:

Didnt actually get to eat this one...lol. My neighbor had his 70th bday friday. I didnt know until that day so i told him to let me know and i would make him a treat for his bday. He said his grandma used to make a strawberry custard pie that he would like to have. I found a recipe online and made him one. I did cheat a bit and use a frozen pie crust (rolling out pie crust is such a mess) but it seemed to turn out ok. It was still warm when i took it over so they were gonna have it after supper. He said it looked like his grandma's pie so hopefully it tastes good. My hub likes custard but generally the kind i do on the stovetop. He said this looked good so now i have to make him one too. Lol.

20200607_121941.jpg

damn!. My chloresterol ( I never can spell that word right) level jumped 80 points just by looking at this. If Picasso was alive, he could paint a picture of that and make a gillion dollars

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to help us enhance your online experience. If that sounds good, click “I Accept” or review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.