Bayou Gardener Family

My brother wants to buy a gun...has 2 pistols(one is just a revolver .38 and the other  I don't know but is older). Thinks  he definitely needs to do better. Cost is  really not a major concern.  For just home protection what do all you pro's suggest....and a link to good websites for them would be very helpful. Rifle and pistol.

• Like 1

Home protection?

Remington 870 pump 12 gauge shotgun.

Pistol? Any quality 9mm. Personally I like the .45 but 9mm ammo is easier to get and less expensive.

Add-on? A nice Barnett crossbow.

• Like 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Rabbitproof,

I agree with Big Sky if your brother is strictly wanting home protection. The 870 is king for that. 

If he wants a handgun, choices are limitless. I personally carry a Springfield Range Officer Champion in a .45 It is a mid priced 1911 and its concealable. If money is no concern, he can move up to a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom. Those are heirlooms and most of us only dream of them😳

7B8DEF80-011B-41D3-AD67-819563782765.png

• Like 3

All the suggestions are good but just buying a gun, loading it, and putting it somewhere handy is only part of it.  Its not the gun itself that will provide protection, it is his ability to use it.  A hit with his 38 special is better than a bunch of misses with a new, unfamiliar 9mm or 45ACP.  Practice, practice, practice......

• Like 4

I like my Ruger P90 .45ACP but it is kind of heavy when fully loaded.

Another thing to consider is getting a revolver. Something like a .38. I have a S&W Airweight that has 5 rounds and will never jam.

I agree 1000% with Buk. Having a weapon without training will most likely end in disaster. Whatever you get make sure to get safety training on that actual weapon and get some range time with it.

• Like 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

He said he was looking at a Ruger 556 or something like that?? ....cannot remember exactly  or  find his email now. Ha, waaaay too much trash in my gmail. from the past 2 days.  He says he has not practiced shooting in many, many  years....but will.  There is something more powerful he was looking at  but said his wife balked at that next to the bed...LOL!!   I appreciate all y'alls input....and have sent all to him.

• Like 2