Bayou Gardener Family

2021 Growing in the High Tunnel

As so it begins!

bird038.gif

I filled a few seed trays with PRO-Mix the first week in January so they could thaw out and come to room temperature.

i-qxqM6FS-X2.jpg

Then during the waxing moon (aka New Moon ) it was time for me to choose some seeds for my above ground cool weather vegetables plants

i-kZd9xvG-XL.gif

The first trays of seeds have germinated .

I will follow up with another 6 pack of head lettuce every month  to keep us in a constant supply this spring. 

i-CmvkJDh-L.jpg

I learned several years ago that peppers seeds take forever to start to germinate.

i-cnngJkS-L.jpg

SPICY:  Cayenne, Anaheim,Jalapeno and Ancho 

SWEET: Yellow Sunbright, Red Chinese Giant, Orange Sweet Habanaro 

To my surprise in just 10 days I have a few starting to come up:shappy_shakeshout_100-100.gif

i-gGB79jR-L.jpg

Yesterday I planted Wala Wala , Ruby Red and (new to me) Cebolla Granex hybrid onion seeds:

i-wHtRNp5-X2.jpg

• Like 7

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

On 1/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, Double B said:

I have wondered where you have been Maggie. It’s great to see your high tunnel veggie starts.

Thanks Double B ! My daily morning routine has been turned upside down for the last few months but things are getting back to " normal"  wink15.gif

Onion seeds are already starting to germinate:

I hope this mean it is going to be a productive growing season.

i-vGkvSWq-L.jpg

More peppers have popped:

i-Kq8H5bT-L.jpg

Happy little seedlings :

Cauliflower, Broccoli,Cabbage, Kohlrabi and Iceberg Lettuce 

i-VFdNhqq-L.jpg

While outside winter is still here:

Apologize for the "not so great" picture  I only ventured as far as the deck to snap it. 

i-KjJWSjQ-L.jpg

Link to the start of the tool shed build is at the bottom of page #2 

2020 Projects

Link to new work on the project

2021 Projects

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 3

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

I also enjoy your tunnel posts. 🙂  I like the white background also but I'm perfectly happy that you have it and not me.  🙂

I get a lot of my seed from a local source but also use Seeds Now for things I don't need 100's of seeds for.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike! I do not mind the snow It is beautiful.

It is the below zero temperatures that is a real game changer.

We are in a POLAR VORTEX right now

i-dwQvg2v-X2.jpg

Prediction for today

WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TODAY...

* WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills of 20 below
zero to 29 below zero.

* WHERE...The Schoharie and Mohawk Valleys, northern Fulton
County, Lake George region, and Helderbergs of eastern New
York, and the southern Green Mountains of Vermont.

* WHEN...Until noon today.

* IMPACTS...The cold wind chills could cause frostbite on
exposed skin in as little as 30 minutes.

Winds WNW at 15-25 mph. with higher gusts possible

I'll be spending a lot of the day next to the wood stove.

"Seeds Now" packages are small but it gives me a chance to try new things and the price is great.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

@Maggie13

I feel your pain.

Have had a mild winter for the most part this year. Didn't get this last vortex. Looks like March is going to be terrible here from all of the fog we have had.

• Like 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Looks like I will be planting several rows of Wala Wala onions this spring

i-RXMhG5L-L.jpg

free-indifferent-smileys-746-S.gif

I am not sure if the other varieties just take longer or the seeds are not viable.

I will give them more time before I give up on them and replant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

In general, onion seed are not viable past the first year. To aggravate that, The business standard is a germination rate of 70%! You believe that? It should be against the law to sell something that only 70% is good! 

If you fertilize them right you can get some big bulbs! I raised some 5" in diamiter a while back. The big negitive is that wallla walla will not keep well. Most people I know will carmelize them and then freeze or can them. If I remember right they are good for around 3 months before you.  have to do something.

Wade

• Like 1

Thanks Wade I had no idea the rate was so low. I purchased the seeds last spring so you may be on to something and the seeds are no longer viable.

I use a lot of onions in my cooking the remainder I share with neighbors and in the past  chopped and froze them.

Last year I dehydrate several pounds and  made up packages of dehydrated soup mix using our carrots, onions, celery,spinach and herbs.

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Walla Walla is an eating onion and not the best for cooking. Pungent onions are the ones that the sugars are locked in and come out while being cooked . Eating onion are so because their sweetness does't  need heat to release the sugars. A general guide is that the longer storage time they have, the more pungent they are. 

Here is a link to the best references that I know of. They do know their business, problem being, they do not sell seed. plants only

Wade

https://www.dixondalefarms.com/

http://www.webgrower.com/information/seed_germ_standards.html

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 1shotwade said:

It should be against the law to sell something that only 70% is good! 

How about a vaccine? 🙂

I have bought plants from dixondalefarms.com before they were good starts. I just start mine from seed now.

• Like 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Same here BS! They always give you more than you pay for(but they are pretty expensive). I went to seed 3-4 years ago and like it and it's much cheaper. The poor gwrmiation rate they are allowed (70%) And the fact that they are not viable past a year or maybe two makes it hard  because I like to raise 4-6 different varieties each year. At an average of 300 seed per packet, that's a lot of onions. On top of that now, I hear they have done away with Copra, one of my favorite storage onions!

Wade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1