Bayou Gardener Family

Plant Markers From Mini-Blinds

Some of you may already do this, however I just wanted to pass the info on to those that didn't know.
- Hippie

Here is a great way to make 'low-to-no-cost' plant markers. A smart way to recycle!
With only one set of old mini-blinds, you can make hundreds of plant markers in various sizes
and widths that are nearly indestructible! You can use up those old mini-blinds you have lying around. Re-using what would be otherwise destined for the trash heap is the best way to Go Green and score some resilient garden-ware.

This is a superb and inexpensive way to label your plants, whether in a container, flower garden,
or vegetable garden... and can be used in your starter seed trays, too.

Some people use plastic stakes, popsicle sticks, or metal to label their plants, but the mini-blinds are the perfect material for the gardens of "Makers or Recyclers'.

Hard plastic markers [the store bought kind] get brittle and break [due to weather], wood ones absorb what you write and the marker usually 'bleeds' [and eventually rots and disintegrates], and metal will rust [and you don't want that near your veggies!].

If you don't have any old mini-blinds, then check out friends houses, garage sales, thrift stores, etc. Otherwise, you might have to break down and buy a set for about $3 or $4 dollars at Wal-mart. But these days, a pack of cheap plastic markers runs at least $3and won't last half as long as your new mini-blind-stakes... and one store-bought pack will just not do!

b_2.PNG   b_1.PNG

Source: https://www.instructables.com/Easy-to-Make-Plant-Markers-from-Mini-Blinds/

• Like 5

I have been doing this for years. Another trick is to use as a row marker. Write what you planted( don't lie and say you remember everything....yeah right, I been down that road for a long time) and staple it to a little stake. Then wrap in saran wrap,staple and drive the stake at the end of the row. Rain and sun protected until the plants are big enough to identify without guessing. Actuially, this will last an entire season

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, 2010 National Champs said:

I have been doing this for years. Another trick is to use as a row marker. Write what you planted( don't lie and say you remember everything....yeah right, I been down that road for a long time) and staple it to a little stake. Then wrap in saran wrap,staple and drive the stake at the end of the row. Rain and sun protected until the plants are big enough to identify without guessing. Actuially, this will last an entire season

Write what you planted( don't lie and say you remember everything....yeah right, I been down that road for a long time)

LOL, the quote above. I've done that many times and still doing it today.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Write what you planted( don't lie and say you remember everything....yeah right, I been down that road for a long time)

I use my phone for that. In a memo page I write something like 3rd. row from the south, in the field to the north, next to the barn, the first 24 plants are Serrano chilies.

I understand it anyway. At least for now. 🙂

• Like 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

A few years ago, my wife and I planted 159 tomatoes in one day. Of course, instead of making a map of what kind was planted where, I could remember where each variety was planted. There was like 15 different kinds. 3 days later, I couldn't tell you what was planted where. No damn clue whatsoever! My wife thought it was funny and you know how all of that goes. I had 3 foot cages on 8 foot tall tomatoes and 6 foot cages on small determinates. Hence, the blind markers. I think I found out about using theblinds via the old forum.

• Like 4