Bayou Gardener Family

My wife has decided that I should grow ginger root and tumeric this year,since I am going to attempt to grow legal herbs this year (no, I have not grown the illegal kind either). Folks, I don't really know what ginger root and tumeric is other than it comes in a bottle. I did a search and it said you can use the kind in the store. Man, I live in Alabama, out in the sticks. Don't nodamnbody sell that stuff. Any of you know where I can order it? My wife just expects too damn much out of me

Edited by 2010 National Champs
  • Haha 2

Champs,

I grew turmeric from rhizomes several years ago. Amazon has some for sale and so do these folks.  https://theorganicfarmmarket.com/product/1lb-organic-turmeric-rhizome-root/

It can spread and be difficult to control the spread so I grew mine in 30 gallon cattle tubs. I would imagine that ginger growing techniques are about the same. Here’s a photo of mine growing. It was relatively easy to grow.

21351BBE-5301-4BDF-9A1E-AE26963CE4C3.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You can buy it at an Asian grocery as well. Thats where I get mine. Is simple to grow, likes loose soil and regular watering or you'll get tiny roots. Fertilize ginger with a lower nitrogen fert. We use 10-20-20.

Turmeric likes a heavy composted fertilizer. We use 10-10-10 on it until it get good and bushy then switch over to the 10-20-20. 

Might be a good idea to plant in raised beds or containers if you don't want turmeric taking over your garden and then your lawn. I swear you can sift the soil with fine mesh and that shit will still grow back in a bigger patch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought some ginger root to grow this year. Got it from someone on Ebay. Make sure to get organic ginger, otherwise it might be some chinese crap that has been irradiated. I think I got 4 pounds of rhizomes for $23 free shipping. It was cheaper to buy it there than in the store I think. This will be my first year growing it.

• Thanks 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Champs,

I did live on an island the day of that picture. That was the first sunny day after Hurricane Harvey left our area. We had over 55” of rain in four days. Life on the gulf coast!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Like we got any Asians over here in Redneck Suburbia. The closest thing to an Asia Market is the shelf that holds minute rice at the local Piggly Wiggly

Where the hell do you live?? Mayberry? Holy crap, cousin Barney! You can throw a dart at a map and not be further than an hour away from one.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Mayberry would be considered a metropolitan area compared to here

Same here. Wat diversity? 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.