Bayou Gardener Family

Emergency Preparations

Since we just survived the snow/sleet and severe cold spell here in Texas, I decided to wait until yesterday to go grocery shopping since it was 75 degrees. The huge stores nearly had bare shelves and I asked one of the guys stocking what happened. He said that the day the storm hit (a week ago), people flogged into the store and literally bought everything off the shelves. He had pictures of completely bare shelves. 

We did loose power and many who are on “city water” lost their water supply. Today, they are still handing out cases of water in drive through lines. Thousands of cases of water. 

We were maybe overly prepared because of the generator that powers our shop. We have an apartment in there that we were able to put my father in law in to keep him warm but I wonder how many people didn’t fill up their bathtub, didn’t have a case of bottled water in their pantry, or even have some non perishable food items to get them through three or four days of hard times. It seems like everything we have is an “unprecedented” event these days. 

My wife and I are certainly not preppers but we try very hard to have enough food items and supplies to carry us through an event like this. I am sure many of you do too. Do these others not learn any lessons from events like Hurricane Harvey? It’s really boggling my mind that the learning curve is so steep for a vast amount of people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree Double B .  We always keep plenty of canned food and dry goods but we did run out of cattle  ruffage . Our load was delayed before the weather got bad and then when the driver was ready, the roads weren't.    Timing  things down to the wire is never good.    What amazed me was the water lines freezing inside the houses in Tx. The citizens could do little to prepare for that unless they had fireplaces or gas logs/heaters.  I would suggest they do  extremely good outside wraps of all pipes though .  and fill there gas before a situation develops if its forecasted in advance like this one and that power companies be ready  too. 

In the old days when I was a child, I could see my breath in our room  on cold winter nights . Out came the old trunk  of big  old blankets/quilts from long ago.  and we piled them on and could hardly move. . 

If  an earthquake happens, it will be even far worse.... "Pray it doesn't happen in the winter."  

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Double B said:

My wife and I are certainly not preppers but we try very hard to have enough food items and supplies to carry us through an event like this.

People are spoiled. There has ALWAYS been full shelves in the stores as long as they have been alive so they can't imagine it not being that way.

Another bonus to living out away from large populations. If I need an ingredient to finish dinner it is an hour and 20 minute drive to go get it most of the time.

Makes it so that you try to keep as much on hand as you can store.

I might have mentioned this before. I had a couple of high school classes come to my house this past fall to see actual food growing.

The most interesting thing that was said that day was a girl who thought it was "so cool" that I could actually save the seeds of vegetables and plant them to get more.

I have a very hard time getting my head wrapped around the fact that these younger people are so ignorant of the way the world works.

Again, I live in a place that has 85,000 acres of irrigated grain growing. There are farmers that have thousands of acres of grain and not a single tomato or head of lettuce growing. If something really bad happens they will starve to death.

• Like 4
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
1 hour ago, bordercollie said:

I agree Double B .  We always keep plenty of canned food and dry goods but we did run out of cattle  ruffage . Our load was delayed before the weather got bad and then when the driver was ready, the roads weren't.    Timing  things down to the wire is never good.    What amazed me was the water lines freezing inside the houses in Tx. The citizens could do little to prepare for that unless they had fireplaces or gas logs/heaters.  I would suggest they do  extremely good outside wraps of all pipes though .  and fill there gas before a situation develops if its forecasted in advance like this one and that power companies be ready  too. 

In the old days when I was a child, I could see my breath in our room  on cold winter nights . Out came the old trunk  of big  old blankets/quilts from long ago.  and we piled them on and could hardly move. . 

If  an earthquake happens, it will be even far worse.... "Pray it doesn't happen in the winter."  

Saw on Fox news last night where a lady in NY said she lost her job, because she refused to take the vaccine....said she and her hubby are trying to get pregnant. She wants more research done (not the rushed up 4 month study on humans) before she will take when possibly preg.  She said she was appalled at losing her job....all vaccines have warnings for pregnant women so why is this one being forced? Also saw on there a report of a man who took the vaccine and quickly developed a rare blood disorder. So, if his friends and family balk at taking the vaccine, will they lose their jobs?  Tucker Carlson said Biden say he wants mandated vaccines for ALL travel anywhere...including in our own country!   They will chip everyone to very easily recognize people who are vaccinated to allow admittance into cities, grocery stores,  or on planes,etc. This is all so insane. The vaccine contains a pre-programmed RNA particle protein spike(they admit that already)....I think all who are vaccinated already have the "chip"...the programmed particle. Think about it....how could a World Govt possibly control 5 billion people?   Easy...scare them to death with a new virus, offer the "cure" vaccine, which  has a traceable and programmed particle which will attach to every cell in the body, and voila, "Chips" Ahoy!! Amazes me the masses lining up for a totally unproven vaccine....and why?  FEAR!! Fear of a virus with a 97% recovery rate. The Bible says "Fear Not" 365 times....guess that is not enough...??? Even with pre existing conditions should one not balk with this poorly tested vaccine? It is NOT a killed virus like all vaccines to date....it is totally new and so far grossly undertested science for human subjects....and all animals tested died. Even if I had  pre existing conditions, I would not take...of course my age may be considered a pre existing condition, tho our 83 yr old friend survived covid fairly quickly....2 wks in the hospital. He is back,active, and cruising around very well. Seems we will soon be told we can do nothing without the vaccine...if that is not humongously suspicious, then nothing on earth is!!

• Like 3

Rabbit proof,

My 92 year old father in law has taken both shots of the Phizer vaccine and had zero side effects. I am not taking it because of the research that I have personally done. I think those that want it should line up to get it but those of us who don’t want it should not have to take it . Remember what the liberals say about abortion? “My body; my choice”

That’s my line now.

With all that said, I saw where they are about to begin human trials on pregnant women. I personally believe any woman that would take the chance of endangering their unborn child is as dumb as a bag of hammers.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Double B said:

Rabbit proof,

My 92 year old father in law has taken both shots of the Phizer vaccine and had zero side effects. I am not taking it because of the research that I have personally done. I think those that want it should line up to get it but those of us who don’t want it should not have to take it . Remember what the liberals say about abortion? “My body; my choice”

That’s my line now.

With all that said, I saw where they are about to begin human trials on pregnant women. I personally believe any woman that would take the chance of endangering their unborn child is as dumb as a bag of hammers.

I do hope your grandfather stays ok....and down the line ,too. In such short research trials how would anyone know the effects say even after 8 months, a year? I certainly agree with you on the forced or mandated (to hold jobs, enter stores, even go to a doctor's office) vaccines. That is just so wrong, it is unfathomable. Next they will take our SS/Medicare away without proof of vaccine....wait for it!  Sure sounds like coming to the "End Times" to me.

• Like 2