Bayou Gardener Family

Ripping Out The Bushes

Double B

Well, the big freeze has killed about half of our landscaping plants. Of course all of the beautiful snap dragons and other flowers were destroyed by the freeze and snow that we had a couple weeks ago. 
My wife and I started with the tractor and front end loader along with a chain and pulled a giant bottle brush up. It literally picked the back tires off the ground. Finally after pushing and pulling it gave way and came up. The other shrubs had no green left in them and we drug them out with a large tow strap. We have been working one of the large beds up in the front of the house and will hopefully be able to replant it later this week. 
We will select plants that are more cold hardy this time around. The hummingbirds love the bottle brush blooms and it’s hard for me to believe that they died. Many of the other plants still have some green in their stalks so hopefully they’ll come back. 

Lots of time and expense is required for this project but I do enjoy the beds. Did anyone else loose their landscaping?

6D1B3AEC-02E6-4876-AA81-3419A20CB875.jpeg

• Like 3

My sister lost a large bottle brush tree.  My Hamlin Sweet Orange about 12 years old looks bad, hopefully the graft is not killed and will re-sprout.  My satsuma took a hit but I think it will recover.  My Olive tree looked ok  then started dropping a lot of leaves, not sure about it.  I have a Ficus plant I've had since a 96 funeral that may be finished.  I covered it but it must have been too cold. 

• Sad 1

Fred,

Will you cut your Hamlin orange tree back or just wait to see what happens? I am waiting on six huge bottle brushes to see what happens but I fear the outcome is not good.

There is a lot of information out there that contradicts the next information even from major sources. My next door neighbor has some very expensive palm trees around his house and pool and they don’t look good. I guess we’ll see what April has in store.

• Like 2

Double B, I will wait on the Hamlin Orange to see if I get new growth above the graft.  I had the bottom 15 inches of the trunk covered with a 7 gallon nursery pot filled with sand.  I am hoping that saved the grafted area from being killed.  If it did I should get new growth to start regrowing the tree.  It will be a slow process but it may grow back pretty strong with a big root system  pushing it.  It sounds like there is going to be a lot of palm tree damage.

Edited by Fred
  • Like 3

On 3/7/2021 at 7:49 PM, Fred said:

My sister lost a large bottle brush tree.  My Hamlin Sweet Orange about 12 years old looks bad, hopefully the graft is not killed and will re-sprout.  My satsuma took a hit but I think it will recover.  My Olive tree looked ok  then started dropping a lot of leaves, not sure about it.  I have a Ficus plant I've had since a 96 funeral that may be finished.  I covered it but it must have been too cold. 

I lost a ficus plant from 1988 a few yrs ago. Went to Memphis to visit and left it on the front porch....a freak hard freeze hit....lost a big aloe plant,too. I was crushed!!!!

• Like 2