Bayou Gardener Family

Have hydroponic greenhouse up and running

I like the channels you have the buckets sitting on. That is a great way to do it. I would do that if I were rich. 🤡

Hard to believe anyone growing hydro tomatoes doesn't prune. You couldn't get in the tunnel after a few weeks.

• Like 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

35 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

I like the channels you have the buckets sitting on. That is a great way to do it. I would do that if I were rich. 🤡

Hard to believe anyone growing hydro tomatoes doesn't prune. You couldn't get in the tunnel after a few weeks.

I think you would have to prune. Or have 8 foot walk ways between and you would have zero air flow!

I have been having the wood to build those since before the covid stuff. Was just too busy to get the GHs done. Alot of it was reused from the old GH in the Country. 

I love the ways its set up. The 4 inch pipe was actually cheaper than 2 inch. There was a bit of extra cost in the fittings, but in the long run worked out way better

• Like 4

I was looking at them and drooling. I will have to go rob a lumber yard.

I have a sawmill not far from me that cuts rough cut lumber. I am going to go see them.

• Like 3
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

26 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

I have a sawmill not far from me that cuts rough cut lumber. I am going to go see them.

It's great there is nothing to trip over and with the 4 inch pipe there should be no worry about over flowing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really like it. I am just starting on my new 24x60 tunnel just for hydro tomatoes and cucumbers.

I dug holes in the center with a back hoe to put 250 gallon shuttles in the ground. I want the buckets to be as low as possible so they have a lot of vertical space.

With only 30' of slope from each end I won't need that wide of lumber. Are yours 2x6's? What is you longest run?

• Like 2

@BigSkyGardener yes 2x6s. The runs are all 12 foot. The GH was supposed to 34 x 60 but the town shut me down. Could not get a wind rating on a second hand GH. 

So there will bewill14.6x 34. Lost 520sq ft of grow area. But lost a total of 90 buckets.

The 2x6 are perfect for the 4 inch pipe. 

I was gonna dig a pond for the middle of the big GH. But that didn't get to happen. Had the pond liner bought already. 

Just make sure you have a minimum of 1 gallon on tank per bucket in the GH. I go with 2.5 to be safe. 

We also just as at the country have 250 totes with pre mixed nutrients in it to top off the tanks in the ground

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BigSkyGardener said:

Keep an eye on Craigslist for lumber. We literally filled a 20 foot horse trailer so full of new and clean used 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 3x8, 4x4 and misc odds and ends for $100 that I thought the tires would pop. All they asked was that we threw the garbage wood into a dumpster as we pulled it out. 

• Like 3

@Cajun Hydroponics I am going to try DWC this time and see how it goes. I have the bucket lids with the 6" net pots in them. I usually grow in perlite but want to try something different. I remember you saying that about the wind rating and the city not giving you a permit. That sucks to lose that valuable growing space.

This first greenhouse will be done in a few weeks. I will post pictures when I get going. I am going to try to build two more by the end of summer. One will be a hydro lettuce house that I am going to try to grow year round in. Should be fun.

You're plants look nice and strong. Mine are only 6" tall right now.

• Like 4

@BigSkyGardener the plants took off after I put them in the buckets. 

They should do well with the DWC. My issues when I tried it was the water temps got too high and the root systems failed. 

The lettuce house will be great. Start looking into a water wall. Incase you would need one. They really help to lower the temps in the GH during the summers. Also it can help you to possibly plan ahead when buying the end wall.

• Like 2

Already have a design for that. Can buy 8" thick membrane and have the bottom of the entire endwall act as an evap cooler. Very low humidity here so should cool nicely. Putting 8 250 gal shuttles painted black filled with water on the entire south side under the grow channels. Passive heating in the winter. Have white plastic to cover in the summer. Installing an Earth bank under the floor to store heat from the day and return it at night.

As to the DWC, I buried the shuttles in the ground to try to keep the heat down. Wrap the buckets in white panda plastic and paint the net pot lids white to keep the light out and keep cool. If I monitor the water temps, I can cycle the pumps to get more cool water to the buckets if needed. If the DWC doesn't work well, I will change back to ebb and flow method. been using that successfully for years. Have changed all the pumps to 12VDC solar powered pumps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigSkyGardener said:

Already have a design for that. Can buy 8" thick membrane and have the bottom of the entire endwall act as an evap cooler. Very low humidity here so should cool nicely. Putting 8 250 gal shuttles painted black filled with water on the entire south side under the grow channels. Passive heating in the winter. Have white plastic to cover in the summer. Installing an Earth bank under the floor to store heat from the day and return it at night.

As to the DWC, I buried the shuttles in the ground to try to keep the heat down. Wrap the buckets in white panda plastic and paint the net pot lids white to keep the light out and keep cool. If I monitor the water temps, I can cycle the pumps to get more cool water to the buckets if needed. If the DWC doesn't work well, I will change back to ebb and flow method. been using that successfully for years. Have changed all the pumps to 12VDC solar powered pumps.

Wow you got it going on! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it. 

I have thought about a 12 volt system. I was running many lights and motors in the country off the system. But being in town now the wife has to watch things while I am at work. And Pops has alot going on to drop what he's doing to check my stuff. 

It's hard here to Barry tanks unless you build a pad and cover. Never had the want to dig that much with a shovel either. 

I dug a hole at the property and put 2 totes a foot below the ground. Covered and built it up a foot higher.. still filled with water to the top lol

• Like 3

I wasn't going to dig by hand either. Dug with back hoe. Also dug a new well that will be inside the corner of the greenhouse. Only about 18' deep, but has plenty of water year round. That has 12v pump also and will maintain another shuttle with full water level. I don't have any problems with permitting since I am out in the country.

I think if I were to put in grow lights, I would use 110v led lights. I have power to the greenhouse also.

• Like 3

Those plants are looking good Danny. Those cuttings are really doing well. Every time I plant a cutting I think about how most seed companies now only want to sell you hybrid seeds so you have to buy then over again each year for a pile of money. Just buy a small packet and plant every sucker!

Snowed here again today. Supposed to rain tomorrow. I should be able to get started on my new greenhouse starting on Sunday. I have all of my starts in my current greenhouse so no room to put anything else in there to start growing.

I do have a question for you though. Do you not strip off the leaves on the bottom of your plants? I always take everything off up to the first set. Then move up as the plant grows leaving just the top leaves. Maybe you just have not gotten to that point yet? Like you said a lot of work to do. It never seems to end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cajun Hydroponics said:

The tomatoes are starting to get there and the lil dude is so excited!

Who is growing faster....tomatoes or "Lil Dude?" He has got them beat!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 2010 National Champs said:

its amazing how ya'll do that water gardening. Its hard enough for me to use DIRT!

Well to be honest. I am doing much better with the "water gardening" 😆🤣😂 than I am in the dirt. 

It's pretty easy to know what to give them and we have actually started to eat a couple tomatoes from the GHs. Pretty good stuff I have to say

• Like 4