Bayou Gardener Family

I posted this question on the other forum and thought I'd also post here since it seems the migration over is going well. 

Does anyone one own a Taurus Judge ? I'm considering one for carry when traveling/protection  and for working on the farm (snakes) .  I like the fact that it will shoot 410  shells made for the handgun and also 45's.  I'm curious how bad the kick is with the 410s and the barrel length  you have as well. (I carry 50 lb bags of minerals etc so can tolerate some kick) )  The shorter barrel in order to carry easily and price is a factor also.  Stainless steel ? or other  Thank you . judy                               would also consider the "public defender"  

Judy, I have quail hunted with a 410 pistol and there isn't enough recoil to mention. The judge is a bulky pistol. Hard to conceal and i suspect to get comfortable on your body. If you could find something smaller it would be nice.  I think a derringer may suit your needs.One barrel with birdshot for snakes and the other with 45 lc. Or for the street, 410 oo buck in combination.

I really like the COP 4 barrel derringer but don't think you can get it in 45lc. Only 357 mag the last I looked.

I just googled this to look at. I'll see if i could find another i like.

Wade

https://www.google.com/search?q=410+derringer+for+self+defense&oq=410+derrin&aqs=chrome.4.0j69i57j0l4.20902j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRMMGFH6YdShcUEDxKacnC21bLoLQ%3A1571839246953&ei=Dl2wXaXyOZG6tgWj57_QDQ&q=COP+4+barrel+derringer&oq=COP+4+barrel+derringer&gs_l=psy-ab.12...28047.55384..58957...0.0..0.168.2862.1j22......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i67j0i131j0j0i20i263j0i10j0i22i30j0i13j0i8i13i30j33i22i10i29i30j33i299j33i160j33i10i160.KEX9s3QM4Cc&ved=0ahUKEwilsdW_xbLlAhURna0KHaPzD9oQ4dUDCAs

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Bordercollie, I have one and the kick with the 45 is pretty hard, with the defense people load with the disk and pellets the kick is about the same. light load with bird shot is not nearly as bad. But it is a big heavy gun that I would not want to carry around.

I got a youth model Ruger .22 rife single shot that I keep loaded with rat shot for my snake issues.  Just my thoughts.  

• Like 2

Thank you Zook, That is my concern- the kick I mean.  I really need something easy to conceal because I have little to no storage on the Roxor. ( made by Mahindra and looks like an old Willys jeep) I also would like it for 2 legged protection if that need ever did arise. I live not far from trouble spots and if it ever hit the fan, we would be a target. We have most original folks respect because they see us working hard everyday here on the farm  (no hired help)  but the   strangers - its a different story. Someone broke into the little country church  a mile from here a few months ago- Never happened for a good hundred years until then. Sadly times are changing .

I'm going to offer some free advice which I assure you is worth every penny is costs!  You can get "shot-shell ammo",  also called "rat-shot" or "snake-shot" in several different calibers.  I just wonder if something like a Ruger LCR or a Smith & Wesson 642 in .38 Special would be a little easier to carry on a daily basis. A heavy gun can become a real pain in the butt to haul around, especially in hot weather. You can get some pretty stout self-defense loads for a .38spcl, and still have the capability to use the "snake-shot" on those slithering pests.  In the end though, I think the most important thing is to get a gun that you like. If you like it, then you'll be more inclined to practice with it and therefore become more proficient. 

Good luck and happy shopping!

~~VG

• Like 1

Haha !!  They are where I need to be. (when working on a fence)  I had a copperhead decide he owned my fence cut off switch  that was nailed on a tree and  coiled up right by it .. I went somewhere else and came back later and where was he? Down in the root hole by the switch or   ??  .  I dunno..  same thing with a water moccasin across my fence path last year but I walked around him....  they are pretty irritable though  so rather not take a chance. Anti venom is crazy expensive  and shells are a lot cheaper.   Kingsnakes get a  " free pass" ticket though. 🙂 

• Like 1

Luckily my area has such a high water table, 24-36" from the surface, there are no snakes here. Too cold for water snakes. Which is a good thing. There are grizzly bears, but they are fuzzy and cuddly.

• Like 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

I edited my upper post to add   a comment to you Big Sky. It was something like " Ahhh ,,so that's why you're in Montana .  🙂 "  and then forgot to push the save button.

HAHAA I think I rather have the snakes than  those bears !   🙂   

Rabbitproof, I'm glad we don't have them.. I'd hate to have them after the cow/calves..We have  had  problems years ago with coyotes ganging up  on calves with first time mamas. Now we don't use the back pasture (where they give trouble ) during the calving months.  Keep the bears and supper cold weather, I'll reluctantly keep the snakes..  and a few pieces of lead. 🙂 

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 1

I was kidding a little about the Grizzly bears. They usually don't come close to my place because it is too flat.

Had a mountain lion in the trees once when my daughter was about 7. She found it. Spooked her a bit, but no big deal.

I occasionally get nervous when going to close up the chickens when it is really dark. Always take the dogs with me.

Most of my troubles are foxes and coyotes trying to get my chickens, and eagles chasing the cats.

• Like 1
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Guest bigboberta
2 hours ago, bordercollie said:

Rabbitproof, I'm glad we don't have them.. I'd hate to have them after the cow/calves..We have  had  problems years ago with coyotes ganging up  on calves with first time mamas. Now we don't use the back pasture (where they give trouble ) during the calving months.  Keep the bears and supper cold weather, I'll reluctantly keep the snakes..  and a few pieces of lead. 🙂 

I am by no means any kind of authority on the issue, but my neighbor keeps donkeys. He says that they are very protective of the cows especially the calves and will defend them from preditors like cayoties. He claims he has not lost a calf to a preditor since he added the donkeys.

All great information!  We thought about some donkeys once but doubt they would get along too well with the collies .  Right now we are doing pretty good with our back pasture being used for hunting in the Fall and Winter and it also provides a chunk of change with some quality folks leasing that aspect. 

• Like 1

After reading more, if you are looking for use on snakes, maybe people, and somthing big yot or bear, and you have a baby jeep to keep it in, I'd look at the judge again, #9 .410 would not kick bad and if your needing it for something bigger you will not care at that time ether and it WILL do the job.  

Sorry to hear about your little country church and the changes. 

Zook. 

• Like 1

Thank you  .  You are right, the kick won't matter if it is protecting me. It won''t be  used for sport-  just protection.    I just think if for personal protection, that  large diameter .410 barrel  would make for some big eyes and backing up. The little jeepster has 2 locking boxes under the  bucket seats and could be made waterproof  only by  use of a gun case. That would be  good for me  also easy access with my key. 🙂  Looking is going to be fun. 🙂 

Judy,

I have had that Judge PD, brand new in the box for years now.  Never been used.  I researched carefully before I bought it, though, because I was pinned in the corner of my yard once by two pit bulls that had most likely been released from fighting rings.  One was a pregnant female.  I'm blessed to be alive today.

I bought the PD because of the escalating power with the different calipers it could hold.  Afterwards, I realized it wasn't a CC type weapon, at all.  More of a "nightstand" or "lock box in the jeep" type weapon.  In any case, with the right load, it will stop whatever you're aiming at.  

Aim carefully...

Edited by Gymgirl
typos...
  • Like 2