Bayou Gardener Family

Rabbitproof,

I hear yuh!!!

It took me almost two years to be comfortable in the yard again.  There's a bayou that snakes along the back line, but, the yard wasn't fenced off.  The dogs followed the bayou and came up right into the yard.  Every time I was out there and a branch creaked, or a squirrel jumped, or someone stepped on some leaves, I was freaking out. 

During that time, my neighbor's little 6 year old loved being in the garden with me.  After that incident, I determined no harm would come to that child while she was in my care.  So, I got the Judge PD, because of the spray pattern.  Two rounds of heavy gauge buckshot would send them scattering, hopefully.  After that, three rounds of 45s to take 'em down, if necessary.

• Like 2

Gymgirl. and Wade....I have toted a .22 since I was 23 yrs old!! Loaded with .22 long hollow points. I am now 69 yrs old. I just took it out of the car the other day....and have felt "naked" when driving around now. It has always been in my glove compartment and have an identical one by my side of the bed. I am ashamed to say I carried it in my winter coat  large pocket one time to show a house to a man....during a short  3 yr foray into real estate. Poor guy turned out to be  so,so nice....but no way was I going into an empty house with a total stranger (man)without a gun!! Turns out I was probably smart...right after that some real estate agents were murdered in various locations across the county. That was way back in '99....things are so much worse nowadays. Hmm..think I will clean out my glove compartment(too full) and put the gun back in there!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Gymgirl said:

Judy,

I have had that Judge PD, brand new in the box for years now.  Never been used.  I researched carefully before I bought it, though, because I was pinned in the corner of my yard once by two pit bulls that had most likely been released from fighting rings.  One was a pregnant female.  I'm blessed to be alive today.

I bought the PD because of the escalating power with the different calipers it could hold.  Afterwards, I realized it wasn't a CC type weapon, at all.  More of a "nightstand" or "lock box in the jeep" type weapon.  In any case, with the right load, it will stop whatever you're aiming at.  

Aim carefully...

Wow Gymgirl that is so chilling !! I'm sure I can speak out  and say that we are all grateful that you are here. Thank you for the advice also.

I definitely want something  that will stop whatever is threatening me and not just make it angrier. I have my late mama's little  5 shot LR 22 mini pistol. It will fit in my front pocket easily but when shot it will  go no telling where.Maybe for very close  in your face defense but  a no for snakes and any distance predator. I keep the chamber behind the hammer empty in case it's ever dropped but feel I need a toughie....

I appreciate everyone's comments  and the little derringer does look interesting , especially the  $.  Thanks again !!    judy

• Like 2

Judy, I keep the hammer chamber empty,too. I have heard pro's and cons as to whether that is necessary but do just in case. Good luck with your search for the perfect one for you. I agree your situation needs something other than the 22 pistol. I like that Derringer Wade put up the link to....am seriously considering that one for myself..."Common WOMAN'S Last Shot"!

• Like 2
On 12/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, Gymgirl said:

Judy,

I have had that Judge PD, brand new in the box for years now.  Never been used.  I researched carefully before I bought it, though, because I was pinned in the corner of my yard once by two pit bulls that had most likely been released from fighting rings.  One was a pregnant female.  I'm blessed to be alive today.

I bought the PD because of the escalating power with the different calipers it could hold.  Afterwards, I realized it wasn't a CC type weapon, at all.  More of a "nightstand" or "lock box in the jeep" type weapon.  In any case, with the right load, it will stop whatever you're aiming at.  

Aim carefully...

Wow Gymgirl that is so chilling !! I'm sure I can speak out  and say that we are all grateful that you are here. Thank you for the advice also.

I definitely want something  that will stop whatever is threatening me and not just make it angrier. I have my late mama's little  5 shot LR 22 mini pistol. It will fit in my front pocket easily but when shot it will  go no telling where.Maybe for very close  in your face defense but  a no for snakes and any distance predator. I keep the chamber behind the hammer empty in case it's ever dropped but feel I need a toughie....

I appreciate everyone's comments  and the little derringer does look interesting , especially the  $.  Thanks again !!    judy

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I did a turn around and bought a  S and W 22 pistol   for the Roxor and Toyota road trips to the old homeplace. . . It comes with 2 , 10  shot magazines . I let it soak in that the 22 ammo is more affordable and I can practice a lot more with it. 

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/93813/smith+%26+wesson+m%26p22+22+lr++compact+36+10r+black

Look at this one too

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php?q=Ruger+Mark+IV+22%2F45+Target+.22LR+5.5"+Blue+10%2B1+(4&type=

Edited by bordercollie
added information
  • Like 2

What a great idea for up close and personal Wade, unfortunately in my county pistol permits are not given out to ordinary folk like us!

I could make a political statement but I am sure you already know what I would say .GAAH!.gif
I will just say our state tends to be right up there leading the way in stupidity.Peace.gif

I do have pellet pistols and pump shotguns at the ready! I also  have a sling shot that I was pretty good with but I cannot think where that is right now. 

• Like 2

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Judy, I think you will like the m&p .22 compact. I have 2 of them. My wife has one and I’ve carried mine for last 3-4 years. Like Rabbitproof, I started out with a .22 many, many years ago as a pre teenager, and never Felt like I needed anything bigger as far as handguns go. Still have first .22 I bought also.

• Like 1

Thank you Ol Hippie. It looks and holds really good ( my bil has one)  and I do feel good about it especially with the extra ammo on the ready (in case I miss) the first time) . I need to find out if the 22 bird shot will work ok in it ..  for the snakes at least . Regardless, it will do for protection if I aim well .  . judy

I’m far from being the best shot with any handgun. The bird shot will work fine on snakes. You may have to get a little closer than you would like to shoot. I’ve shot some big rattlesnakes over the years. I keep a couple birdshot in a pill bottle in my utv. When I need them I load and shoot. Never needed more than 2 at a time. 

• Like 1

I have taken care of several rattlesnakes with a hoe and sometimes a good stick. I’ve been bitten twice over the years. Once by chicken snake and other by rattlesnake. I’d rather shoot them.

• Like 3