Bayou Gardener Family

Anyone else( in the South) waiting to plant?

It was high 40's temp again this morning. We run the heat 1st thing in the morning just to take the chill off almost every day. I looked at the 10 day forecast, and there will be lows in the high 40's,very low 50's a bunch of times til the 15th. Periodic rain,too. I never plant beans, tomatoes or peppers til the lows are at least very high 50's or 60. I don't use commercial fungicides, so cool and somewhat damp=major problems...and of course, stunted growth.  Seems each year now I am having to plant later and later...takes a LOT of patience.

• Like 1

I am sitting here needing to plant pepper,cantaloupes and a few more tomatoes. I have some planted already and except for the tomatoes, nothing is really growing. Looks pretty, but just waiting on some warmer nights. I have some nice looking corn that needs plowing and I am going to run the tiller( minus the tines) down the the middles and trench it a bit due to more rain on the way. This is just to let the water drain off because this past week the weather has been hell on my garden. I have a storm pit, my corn doesn't. Had a peach tree broke in half, shit blown everywhere but I am not gripping because it got rough, twice.

• Like 2

It's been chilly here too during the late evening and mornings. I never remember wearing a flannel shirt in the mornings during May.  One of our peach trees had a big limb break off too.  Strawberries aren't doing much at all and the tomatoes are just there  resting.  I planted some of the cantaloupes and squash in the middle of the erosion   material but the seed were old so will have to see how they do if at all.  This rain is  making everything late for my row crop neighbor... Have ya'll noticed the price of corn going up in the market ?? It's record setting , soybeans too they say...   If  cow feed goes up then the price of beef usually falls for the farmer but of course not in the store.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I planted tomatoes and even some cucumbers but I only planted beds that I have bed coverings for.  The temp during the day gets high enough that it stays in the low 60's during the night.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

It is May 9, 2021 and I have the heat on. I know I am older now, but not many years ago on May 9, I would running down the lake at 70mph with no shirt and shorts on at this time of the morning. Now,? My pepper seedlings are not growing its so cool and what I see for this week, its still going to be unseasonably cool

Bordercollie, please check you email.m

Edited by 2010 National Champs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Miss Judy! In the last week, we have thought we were going to get blown away........twice, so I am ready. Pretty sure we are not going to get any rough stuff, but the rain is hurting me on trying to get stuff planted. It does allow me to work on my little man/dog/cat cave but I need to get my garden planted so I can do some piddlin/fixin'spraying/weeding, etc  and not have to be in a hurry and working my butt off to the point that I have cramps at night.

Oh, by the way fellow board dudes and dudettes, Bordercollie is one smart cookie if you didn't already know that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rain for the last 2 days. Snowing right now. Weeds are coming in good.

• Sad 3
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

Was 47 when we got up....will get to 81 today. Rain tonight and tomorrow with wind today 20-30mph....lows in the high 40's for 5 days next week. Am now shooting to plant the 15th, any rain permitting...may get a tomato by Labor Day at this rate!!.🤔 

• Sad 1

I don’t think you southerners are south enough 😂😂

Its 82 at noon today. The weather is squirrelly for sure. Last year at this time I was eating ripe tomatoes and this year I don’t have but a few small green ones on the vine. Squash and zucchini are running way behind too but this is mainly from that horrible snow and freeze we had in February. It threw a kink in everything we do. 
wEe have nearly 400 acres of coastal jiggs sprayed and fertilized and it’s had one rain on it. We are supposed to get rain this Tuesday and Wednesday and then you’ll be able to stand out there and watch it grow. Summer will be here before you know it.

• Like 3

Y'all having very similar temperatures as we are in sw Iowa.  We've never waited as long to plant here as we have this year. Soil temp keeps popping back down into the 50's and it ain't worth wasting seeds until it goes up.

Radishes, onions and kale seem to be liking it, spinach seems stalled out as does the lettuce. Planted a single row of beans when temp was 62° four inches down almost two weeks ago, yet to see a single sprout so right back to waiting. Next week looks like a nice little warm up, we have high hopes for getting these plants out from under the grow lights!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

Was 47 when we got up....will get to 81 today. Rain tonight and tomorrow with wind today 20-30mph....lows in the high 40's for 5 days next week. Am now shooting to plant the 15th, any rain permitting...may get a tomato by Labor Day at this rate!!.🤔 

I just looked at the weather map and it looks like you are getting some heavy weather right now.  We have been getting a lot of noise and a nice soaking rain but I'll take it since most of the last couple of fronts missed us and we need the rain.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MikeM said:

I just looked at the weather map and it looks like you are getting some heavy weather right now.  We have been getting a lot of noise and a nice soaking rain but I'll take it since most of the last couple of fronts missed us and we need the rain.

Yes,....but am waiting to hear of any damage. Here at our house was just NOISE....thunder,wind. Cannot believe the electricity did not go off !!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I'll finally chime in on this post...........yep, I am in the south and am waiting to plant........on purpose.

The past 6 years, I have started my tomato and pepper seeds around mid march, moved them to 16oz cups about mid April and then struggled to get them in the MUDDY ground of early May.   Dealt with this in NW Arkansas and now the past 3 years here in Northern Alabama.   

Last year I got about 180 tomatoes in the ground on May 1 but had to cover them TWICE with buckets because of some mid 30's, and then remove them in the swampy mud.

So, this year I am playing it cool and not worrying or stressing over it.   We all know tomatoes will take off when the soil reaches the 70's anyway and my belief is if I had planted May 1, the tomatoes I'll plant probably late May will catch those that have been planted weeks earlier.

I didn't start seed until April 1 and even had a whole batch (60) Better Boy not even germinate, so I ordered more (free) and tried again, and they are now up about 1 1/2".

I do have Big Beef (60) in cups in my greenhouse that are about 4" tall and could go in the ground now, but I am going to wait.   And after the 2" of rain we just had the past few days, it will surely be a while before I get out there anyway.

So...............YEP, I am in the south and am waiting, but by choice.

I can tell you this, I am gotten to fish a whole lot more this spring because of the time I am not spending and stressing out in the mud pit/garden.

Edited by ccat
  • Like 5
5 hours ago, ccat said:

I'll finally chime in on this post...........yep, I am in the south and am waiting to plant........on purpose.

The past 6 years, I have started my tomato and pepper seeds around mid march, moved them to 16oz cups about mid April and then struggled to get them in the MUDDY ground of early May.   Dealt with this in NW Arkansas and now the past 3 years here in Northern Alabama.   

Last year I got about 180 tomatoes in the ground on May 1 but had to cover them TWICE with buckets because of some mid 30's, and then remove them in the swampy mud.

So, this year I am playing it cool and not worrying or stressing over it.   We all know tomatoes will take off when the soil reaches the 70's anyway and my belief is if I had planted May 1, the tomatoes I'll plant probably late May will catch those that have been planted weeks earlier.

I didn't start seed until April 1 and even had a whole batch (60) Better Boy not even germinate, so I ordered more (free) and tried again, and they are now up about 1 1/2".

I do have Big Beef (60) in cups in my greenhouse that are about 4" tall and could go in the ground now, but I am going to wait.   And after the 2" of rain we just had the past few days, it will surely be a while before I get out there anyway.

So...............YEP, I am in the south and am waiting, but by choice.

I can tell you this, I am gotten to fish a whole lot more this spring because of the time I am not spending and stressing out in the mud pit/garden.

LOL....yes, I have come to all those conclusions myself and am really quite relaxed about it all. You are so right about the late planted tomatoes catching up so quickly... and they are soooo problem free....ahhh, the way I love it!👍

• Like 1

Stuff ain't growing except for cabbage and corn, and tomatoes a little bit. I can't get direct seeded stuff to come up and my seed are good. I put 10 cucumber seed in a hill to insure that I get plants sprouted, and its been 12 days since I did that and plant #3 broke through this morning. My pepper on the carport ain't wanting to grow a lick and I can't put itin the greenhouse until my Sluggo comes in. Damned slugs will eat them up. I am going to war with those **********s as soon as it gets here. I ordered enough Super Sluggo to put them on the endangered species list and I intend to use it all

• Like 3

Well, finally at least bought some transplants....tomatoes( Big Boy, Better Boy, Brandywine, and Rutgers). Also a few sweet banana pepper plants....not going to plant jalapeno's this year, as I have enough sliced and in the freezer to last a good 2 years. I bought dill....still need oregano, rosemary, thyme, and parsley. I was sort of in a hurry so did not do a whole lot of running around looking.....the herb lady I buy the most from is not too close by, but she has a huge assortment of good looking herbs of every kind. May plant some lavender, too. Will buy those next week. Will stop on the way at a bait shop and get my night crawlers.   Fingers crossed I will plant what I have this  Sunday ...finally temps will be cooperating then. I am so ready to boogie now!!

• Like 1

Yeah Rabbit, I am shooting for a big planting Sunday too.   Planting about 100 tomatoes on plastic, and then peas, okra, squash and who knows what else.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

I am so ready to boogie now!!

Be careful! You are older than me so don't boogie too hard because you might hurt something that you'll need later in life! I'm not trying to be funny.either. I crawled under the house and climbed up on the roof last week because I was all full of piss and vinegar due to getting fiber. I think I'm still sore from all of that. I pulled their stuff as well as my coaxial cable to get setup for all that free tv. I was given a secret way to watch all of the broadcast sports............for free.......but the dsl we were on would not support HD and it is broadcast in HD....now?.....hehehe, its ALL free!

This time of the year many years ago, when I was young, tough, and I humbly admit, quite good-looking, I would bail out of the boat and wade fish in places that I couldn't get the boat in. Right now in the great state of Alabama, its 49 degrees. I know that it won't be long before I'll be bitchin' about the heat, but I do function better in heat than in cool.cold weather..........and I need to plant peas

2 hours ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Be careful! You are older than me so don't boogie too hard because you might hurt something that you'll need later in life! I'm not trying to be funny.either. I crawled under the house and climbed up on the roof last week because I was all full of piss and vinegar due to getting fiber. I think I'm still sore from all of that. I pulled their stuff as well as my coaxial cable to get setup for all that free tv. I was given a secret way to watch all of the broadcast sports............for free.......but the dsl we were on would not support HD and it is broadcast in HD....now?.....hehehe, its ALL free!

This time of the year many years ago, when I was young, tough, and I humbly admit, quite good-looking, I would bail out of the boat and wade fish in places that I couldn't get the boat in. Right now in the great state of Alabama, its 49 degrees. I know that it won't be long before I'll be bitchin' about the heat, but I do function better in heat than in cool.cold weather..........and I need to plant peas

Free tv? AWESOME!!  👍   Spectrum keeps going up and up and up...we have everything with Spectrum...cellphone, landline, tv, and internet. Have used them for 26 years. One would think that they might be appreciative and maybe not keep killing their most loyal customers with price increases....the ungrateful dogs.😠  We will have to do something about it before too long....just gotten way too expensive on the tv part.    Also, I truly do not overdo physically anymore....in fact, I am hoping I have not cut way back to the point of just being lazy instead of protecting myself! Am I gardening or just hitting a lick at a snake now?  Seems the latter to me!  However, it does seem I can hurt myself now with very little effort. I have a horrendously sore mid back right now to the point of having to take an Alleve....which I never do. I have absolutely no idea what I did to cause such discomfort.....sure wasn't gardening! I guess just walking around now is dangerous to my health!😮😁

Posted (edited)

Rab, I was just making light about the word "boogie" to refer back to most of us and our misspent youth in terms of our old asses of today. My problem is that I still think in terms of age 26 instead of 66 and I still act and sometimes act out stuff that I did when I was young. I usually end up hurting myself. I have a tree to cut, but I am going to have to top it out first so I will have to put up the ladder and climb it and then climb up a few limbs to do it. I'm in no hurry and may actually wait until the leaves fall. I have an idea how to do it without climbing it. If there comes a day this fall and I stop writing, then you know my idea didn't work. Unless it is obvious, and I write something off the wall, its done in jest. Don't take everything I write to be serious. "I ain't laughin' at you, Ima' laughin' wit'cha!"..............."Nah, I really am laughin' at cha!"😂

Okay,  if you want to watch Ole Pis, er, Ole Miss for free this fall, PM me. What I have going is actually quasi-legal in the present form. If interested, I'll explain in the PM. This was given to me. I did not discover it on my own, but you must have enough bandwidth for HD tv

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Rab, I was just making light about the word "boogie" to refer back to most of us and our misspent youth in terms of our old asses of today. My problem is that I still think in terms of age 26 instead of 66 and I still act and sometimes act out stuff that I did when I was young. I usually end up hurting myself. I have a tree to cut, but I am going to have to top it out first so I will have to put up the ladder and climb it and then climb up a few limbs to do it. I'm in no hurry and may actually wait until the leaves fall. I have an idea how to do it without climbing it. If there comes a day this fall and I stop writing, then you know my idea didn't work. Unless it is obvious, and I write something off the wall, its done in jest. Don't take everything I write to be serious. "I ain't laughin' at you, Ima' laughin' wit'cha!"..............."Nah, I really am laughin' at cha!"😂

Okay,  if you want to watch Ole Pis, er, Ole Miss for free this fall, PM me. What I have going is actually quasi-legal in the present form. If interested, I'll explain in the PM. This was given to me. I did not discover it on my own, but you must have enough bandwidth for HD tv

Ole MISS beat ol Bama Saban 2 straight yrs several yrs ago and almost again the 3rd yr when he won barely by the skin of his neck. We are a smaller institution, plus our coaches best friend is not the head of the NCAA.😜  2020 stats= Ole Miss 3rd in offense, Auburn (boo hoo) was 7th. Go War Pidgeon's ...LOL!!!  Ok, nuff of that....now on to free tv. I will PM you....ha,if I can even understand what you tell me...I am mechanically and tech -wise illiterate!!

53 minutes ago, Rabbitproof said:

Ole MISS beat ol Bama Saban 2 straight yrs several yrs ago and almost again the 3rd yr when he won barely by the skin of his neck. We are a smaller institution, plus our coaches best friend is not the head of the NCAA.😜  2020 stats= Ole Miss 3rd in offense, Auburn (boo hoo) was 7th. Go War Pidgeon's ...LOL!!!  Ok, nuff of that....now on to free tv. I will PM you....ha,if I can even understand what you tell me...I am mechanically and tech -wise illiterate!!

How feeble😩 and how childish. Lets see, Saban? My dear lady, I was pulling for Ole Pis...er Ole Miss. You want to talk about Saban, the midget man? Statistics? You want to talk about statistics? Lets talk about who actually won the games. You know, the important part. Lets see the headline of the Sports Section: Auburn routs Rebels, but Rebels gain more yards. Now, does that look dignified at all to you? Statistics are for WHO? answer?- LOOOOOSERS! = Ole Pis....er, Ole Miss. Okay Scarlet, you want to talk about statistics? Lets talk about the defensive stats. Rab goes and sits in the kitchen

30 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

How feeble😩 and how childish. Lets see, Saban? My dear lady, I was pulling for Ole Pis...er Ole Miss. You want to talk about Saban, the midget man? Statistics? You want to talk about statistics? Lets talk about who actually won the games. You know, the important part. Lets see the headline of the Sports Section: Auburn routs Rebels, but Rebels gain more yards. Now, does that look dignified at all to you? Statistics are for WHO? answer?- LOOOOOSERS! = Ole Pis....er, Ole Miss. Okay Scarlet, you want to talk about statistics? Lets talk about the defensive stats. Rab goes and sits in the kitchen

Boy, sooooo sensitive😄....but you have reason to be, poor soul!! And Rab ain't been in the kitchen all day...sorry,but no cryin' here. Champs, you are so easy to get revved up..LOL!  Such a sensitive soul, art thou!