The Bayou Gardener Family
bordercollie

Calf Delivered Today

😀We had to deliver a calf today. It was a big boy coming from a first calf heifer. (small opening) He's alive but it was a very close call. Thank the Lord for helping us and giving us strength to get him out. We had to help the calf start breathing by wiggling a piece of straw in his nose. 

KIMG0470.jpg

• Like 5

After supper he was still weak so we dried him off with the hair dryer and gave a bottle of milk ( packaged colostrum mixed with warm water to make  a needed milk for newborns)  He has the energy to stand up now.. Whewww . it was sure close. Thanks to the Lord again. 

Edited by bordercollie
added info
  • Like 1

I am glad to hear the little guy is doing well!

Edited by Maggie13
  • Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

He is so cute!! Soooo glad he pulled through. Sounds like a rough and worrying time for all....man and beast. Hope he continues to do ok.

• Like 1

Dr. Judy to the rescue again.

• Like 1

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Thanks everyone !!!  He's doing great and doesn't look like the same calf.  He's still in the barn with his mama - just until we're sure all is going to stay fine.  He gets his ear tag tomorrow like the other "kids" .  it's supposed to rain Thursday so will probably keep them under the barn's sheltered covering but outside to transition  him. 

• Like 1

I'm so glad he is doing well, Judy. Your animal husbandry skills are super! Good job!

Double B

• Like 1

Thank you. 🙂 I forgot to post a picture I took of the calf  after he got his ear tag. Now , he's ripping and running in the pasture with the other calves.  🙂  Only about 10 calves to go and I can take the scale off of the Roxor. 

KIMG0475.jpg

• Like 1

He is a cutie....I just love to watch calves frolicking  in the fields!! "Feeling their oats!" 

• Like 2

I do too Rabbitproof. They usually hike their tails up and when one takes off, they all take off and hightail it. I once heard it put .. "Like herding a bunch of cats".  🙂  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3