Sign in to follow this  
ol hippie

Wheel hoe

How many have or still use one?

08D95304-C519-449B-B4F6-C5D807D5900B.jpeg.9e63b5e260fb53f2083001168ccb7052.jpeg

Edited by Hippie Willie
Rotated Image
  • Like 2

I have mine. I use it mostly with the planter and weeding. Tilling, cultivating and row making l use my tractor

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Since I fenced in a small garden, I can’t work it with tractor anymore. Now it’s a walk behind tiller and the wheel hoe. And I may not be able to do that next season. 

I just use raised beds anymore and plant intensively.  It gives us everything we need plus we have access to an Amish produce auction where we can buy in bulk anything we don't grow for canning.

Peas and butter beans have always been my main crops. Since fencing in this small garden, I till then make my rows with the wheel hoe. Make a furrow, lay drip tape, fertilize, and then cover, plant a row of peas on each side of drip tape. But I don’t know if I’m gonna be able to keep doing it. I posted in the other forum about container gardening.     Don

I've got two very old planet juniors for shallow  weeding & TRENCHING. one is working well. The other needs a refirb when I get around to it .they are great for fast small plot work when I don't want to dig out the tractor.

Regards Pete

• Like 2

Thank you Hippie Willie for fixing picture. That looks a lot better. If it happens again, is there a way I can fix it, or is it something only you can take care of. 

1 hour ago, ol hippie said:

Thank you Hippie Willie for fixing picture. That looks a lot better. If it happens again, is there a way I can fix it, or is it something only you can take care of. 

There isn't any rotate feature on the forum. I'm not sure if the original picture was taken sideways or if it posted the way it did. I saved your image to my PC, then used a photo editor to rotate it.

That is a first for me. I never saw one of the older versions.

7 hp Kohler vs 26 hp Kohler. But that 7 horse could drag that 26 horse around all day and not even know it was back there. I don’t use either to work garden anymore. I still have all equipment for the Craftsman, but use mostly for cutting grass. I decided to sell the ol cub a couple months ago. It was all original, even the tires.

Edited by ol hippie
  • Like 2

I have 2 wheel hoes, 1 hoss and 1 old planet jr I found at an antique store and restored it. Between those and my Herron weeds don’t have much of a chance in my garden

• Like 2

Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been

933FCA51-51AF-498B-8D60-8A1F2063BF8A.jpeg

i was in one of our local thrift stores and saw what looked like a throwing star (round flat disk with lots of sharp points off it) that was on the end of a long handle.  any idea what it is used for?

Probably a manual sidewalk edger. That's the only thing i can think of.

Wade

Good day Chip, It certainly sounds like an old 50's style Lawn path edger.   But it may be a prop from a B grade Shintaro movie used by gardening Ninjas

Regards Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that's cool.  an edger.  it certainly looked old.  i knew it was too skinny to be an aerator.  thanks for the info!

btw pete...i would pay to see the garden ninja movie.  lol.  

• Like 1