The Bayou Gardener Family
ol hippie

Container gardening

I just started a post on containers in other forum about a week or so ago. Thought by starting it here more folks may see it. I think I’m going to try about 6 containers. Charlie, I’ve been reading gardening with Leon you suggested. Probably plant tomatoes and peppers in them. I planted some tomatoes and peppers in 2 containers this past summer and made pretty good. Just not as many as I’ve been making in the ground. So I can use some advise.

It’s been a good while back I was in the bookstore looking at some books on containers and raised beds. I guess a woman walking by saw the books and and we got to talking about gardening. She told me she could grow as many peas in a 4’x12’ raised bed as I would in my 70’ row. Some of you maybe Gymgirl, or others that grow in containers and beds, does that sound right?

Containers are good but you have to keep them fertilized, I get so much rain here I fertilize 3 times and sometimes it needs more from being washed out.

This is 3 ghost pepper plants in a cattle bucket and it had 3 flushes of peppers like this.

100_3156.JPG

• Like 4

I put 4 Cheyenne peppers in a 17 gallon container. I thought I may have suffocated them some. Let me tell you, they never looked near that good. How do you get in there to fertilize and water? I had 4 —-1/2” holes in bottom and watered everyday.

Anyone that uses containers have any set up like some you tube videos that have bottles, jugs, etc in the bottom to wick the water up. Or is it easier to just have drain holes in bottom. I need to keep it simple if I can. I got plenty time before spring but I want to know what to do before last minute rolls around. 

I better hold off on the seed for now. Thank you for offering. I don’t know if I should mess with any peppers that hot. I did check out the Aleppo pepper link. I’ll have to try it. From what I’ve read about how hot ghost peppers are, what do you use them in? 

18 hours ago, ol hippie said:

Anyone use 5 gallon buckets for tomatoes or peppers? 

I've used 5 gallon grow bags that I purchased online. I have a few pics from the past I'll post a few pics.

These are the grow bags:

HTG_Poly_Bag_5Gallon-1.jpg

DSCN0434.JPG

DSCN0423.JPG

DSCN0509.JPG

DSCN0512.JPG

• Like 2

Nice pictures. Guess you can tell I don’t know much about growing in containers. I was wondering if 5 gallon buckets or the grow bags would get top heavy and fall over. Any pros and cons about larger containers like my 17 gallon I got last year or the grow bags. 

I’ve got 4 of these now. They’re 17 gallon in size. Don’t know for sure what kind yet, but going to plant tomatoes and peppers in them. Thinking about putting 2 tomatoes per pot and 3 peppers per pot. Anyone think that will be overcrowding them. 

7DCE5DFB-8FDB-4519-8B77-27C96D8CACDC.jpeg

Here are some pictures I scrounged up of things you can grow in containers.

Not an comprehensive list at all.

Tomatoes:

beefsteak1.jpg

containertomatoes1.jpg

containertomatoes2.jpg

earlygirl.jpg

ripeningtomatoes1.jpg

sanmarzano1.jpg

tomatoes1.jpg

tomatojungle1.jpg

• Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

peppers:

containerpeppers2.jpg

containerperrers1.jpg

containerpoblano1.jpg

IMG_0086.JPG

peppers1.jpg

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

Cauliflower and broccoli:

continerbroccoli1.jpg

continercauliflower1.jpg

Beets, carrots, peas:

containerbeets1.jpg

containercarrots1.jpg

containerpeas1.jpg

containerpeas2.jpg

Squash, potatoes, onions:

containeronions1.jpg

containerpotatoes1.jpg

containersquash.jpg

I take a lot of pictures with my hand in them.

It gives a scale to the images, and it shows my wedding ring so none of the ladies out there want to marry me for my vegetables.

I have tons of pictures. If you have a specific request please ask.

• Like 1

@ol hippie

That should be enough container to grow a couple of plants in them. Keep us posted.

I’m like some kids Big Sky, the pictures kept me occupied for a while. That’s a lot of stuff. 

a few years ago i got some empty plastic barrels from our local soda bottlers 5 bucks each, cut them in half and filled them.  i don't have any issues growing in them.  i usually put several plants in each one.  the ones that get big will shade out whatever ones don't take off.   the key is to keep them watered and fed.  i use miracle grow shake and feed. i mix it in before i plant. 

i have used the white plastic bags for potatoes before.  they worked ok, but i found them hard to fill once i had to start adding dirt. 

i have done peas in the barrels.  i planted around the outside edge all the way around and set one of my big tomato cages over it to let them grow up. the hard part is once they get to the top they all want to grow together.   i had more luck doing them on a piece of trellis in the yard where they could grow along the trellis more. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have a bunch of these plastic posts. Thinking about using them in my containers for my tomatoes support with baling string. They’d only be in potting mix about 6” deep. Wondering if that would be deep enough to keep them from pulling over. Just realized I didn’t put picture of post on here  

3CFBFEBB-5BAA-41F8-897F-D706E06D6B6E.jpeg

Edited by ol hippie
Add picture

3 hours ago, ol hippie said:

I have a bunch of these plastic posts. Thinking about using them in my containers for my tomatoes support with baling string. They’d only be in potting mix about 6” deep. Wondering if that would be deep enough to keep them from pulling over.

I wouldn't think so. That soil is going to be quite loose. I think you are going to need more side support than that. In order to just have a center support it would need to be more stable.

How big are the containers? if they are large enough, you might put four posts in there towards the outside, and make a trellis of some type.

Thanks BigSky. That’s kinda what I thought. I would be using 4 posts but still thinking the soil would be to loose. I’ve used them on tomatoes in the ground, and they were ok. In the ground, I’ve mostly used cages made from hog wire, but they just a hair to small to slide over container. I may can modify the cages enough to slide over the containers. Then double stack them to be tall enough.

Hi Ol Hippie

Ya could put your container in place, then put your hog wire cages above the containers 6" or so and place a 2 or 3 posts in the ground at one side of container and attach the hog wire cage to the three posts with wire ties or wire. Donald used to tie his cages to t-posts either 1 or 2 posts would do.