The Bayou Gardener Family
Gymgirl

What Did You do in the Garden Today?

A little watering and pulling up some spent plants. Picking some peppers to slice up and freeze. Throwing some old crummy tomato cages out for the trash man. 

Cleaned out the spring garden.  Pulled up everything but some eggplant that I'm waiting to pick. 

Will be plowing everything up and getting ready to plant the fall garden if I can dodge rain a couple more days.  Potted up my mater seedlings, they are about 10" tall now.

Praying every day for the first cool front.  I really, really dislike this time of year. 

Bent over to pick up the hose pipe EARLY Saturday morning, and threw my back out.  Out of commission for the whole weekend.  Managed to stand up and pot up one tray of Arcadia Broccoli seedlings, cuz seedlings don't care if you're in pain, and, it had to be done.  

Still have a tray of tomato and a tray of more broccoli seedlings to be potted up.  I watered the garden in between the pain...it hurt less to stand up straight, so, holding the hose wasn't too bad...

Burning daylight!!!! 

• Like 1

fed my bees first thing this morning sugar water,  was doing my walk about when I heard the wife call out where are you??  I came out of the bottom field and discovered her in the pole beans picking.. I grabbed up a bag and started helping.. about 2 bushels and maybe a pound of sweat later we retired to the house..  her day is snapping beans now while I am figuring out ways to stay clear of her..on a hot day its not easy.. I picked flowers for seeding next year, got them drying out.  so after I finish killing time here its off to the bottom field again with a small bucket of fertilizer to hoe in around the collards and cabbages.. 

Posted (edited)

Had to outfit the second grow room, to accommodate the second tray of tomatoes, broccoli, and eggplant seedlings I need to pot up.  The first batch of seedlings looks amazing!  They have very sturdy stems, and are brilliant, emerald green, throughout the batch.  I sure pray I can bring in a bumper crop of paste tomatoes, so I can finally make the roasted tomato sauce I've been trying to make for the past 7 years, now.

These paste tomatoes (either Paisano or Sweet Italian Paste) were started on July 22, 2019.

Pray, ya'll!

20190813_070030_resized.jpg

Edited by Gymgirl
  • Like 3

More Garden updates:

Pic #1 ZUKES transplanted 2 weeks ago.

Pic #2 TABASCOs transplanted in 3 weeks ago.

Pic #3  SWEET BELL PEPPER transplanted in 3 weeks ago.

Haven't seen that dreaded white moth flitting around, so, I may get some zukes before the cold sets in.  Prayerful.

(P.S.  I am LOVING, LOVING, LOVING, howe easy it is to post pics over here!!!!).  Great Job Brother HippyWillie!!!)

ZUKES in RB #8 081319.jpg

TABASCO in RB #4 081319.jpg

SWEET BELL PEPPER in RB #4 081319.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, Greg!

WE GOT RAIN, YESTERDAY!!!  I looked outside this morning, and the zukes look like they've doubled in size!!  We've been praying for that rain, and God came through.

"You go, God!!!"

• Like 1

I made a couple passes with the 4' tiller over what is to be the fall garden if we ever get rain again. I plunged it as deep as it would go and barely brought up slight dampness in the soil! It is really dry! 

BTW, does anyone know of a product to get rid of nutsedge in the garden?

Thanks,

Wade

It's the same here also. It's very dry. I also would like to know the solution for nutsedge. If you find out let me know?

Ya Hunter, there's a few chemicals out there but so far I have not seen any that you can use in the garden. Willie, the only thing I can figure right now is that I'll have to leave that area fallow next year and use one of the chemical treatments on it. My understanding at this point is that it will take more than one treatment. I need that space for a garden area but this stuff has got to go! I hit iw with roundup just on a chance and it never even made it mad or noth'n!

If I remember in the next day or so I'll try and find out what the big farmers use on it. That may give us something to go on.

Wade

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hippie Willie said:

It's the same here also. It's very dry. I also would like to know the solution for nutsedge. If you find out let me know?

There's a product, l think it's called Sledge Hammer for use on nutsedge. I have not used it but I remember people on the other forum talking about it.

Edited by bigboberta

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Posted (edited)

A Guy I know on another forum is a chemical engineer for that Company that makes Roundup. He's well versed on what to use in most any situation and this is what he recommended to use on nut grass In the garden. Some of the other stuff out there is more toxic or has more carryover than the Sedgehammer. Just sayin.

Edited by hunter 4559

I've got several huge Rubbermaid/Sterilite tubs with lids, so, I'm going to set up some hydroponic systems.  I have two cuke seedlings that'll be the guinea pigs. 

Since they're water hogs anyways, I'll use the large 30-gallon? 50-gallon units.  I'll post my progress!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gymgirl said:

I've got several huge Rubbermaid/Sterilite tubs with lids, so, I'm going to set up some hydroponic systems.  I have two cuke seedlings that'll be the guinea pigs. 

Since they're water hogs anyways, I'll use the large 30-gallon? 50-gallon units.  I'll post my progress!

I'll be watching closely.  Very interested in hydroponic growing, but I'm not sure if I have another project in me.  Every time we go to Disney I drag my wife to see their setup.  It fascinates me. 

Edited by Boudin

My dad lives in Mississippi. He did a hydroponic garden, I'll post a few pic he sent me on another topic.

Posted (edited)

I just started playing with the Kratky method! After making my rookie mistakes, I am convinced this is the way to go for many vegitables. I just moved a few more lettuce(leaf) into gallon milk jugs today. This is primarily an experiement to see if the root system can harvest enough O2 from such a small neck. Thus far, all is well.

I am using the masterblend 4-8-38 ?, plus clacium nitrate and epson salts. Sldo, 1" netcups and 1" rockwool. I found that once the growth takes off it is necessary to add a weight for ballast. I bent some tent stakes and hooked them into the bottom of the netcups. That is working well so far.

Here is a picture I just took moments ago.

Wade

Sorry the picture is so small. Other pictures I upload always lets you enlargen them. I don't know why this one does not work that way.

W

IMG_20190820_162417.jpg

Edited by 1shotwade
  • Like 1