The Bayou Gardener Family
Gymgirl

What Did You do in the Garden Today?

On 5/16/2020 at 8:42 PM, ol hippie said:

I’ve been using drip tape for last 4 years. I have always buried mine. Most I see folks place it on top like I see yours. Was wondering if it’s all personal preference, or is one way better than the other. I haven’t tried mine on top of ground, so don’t know how it compares. 

I have mine on top. Lot of clay in the soil, not sure it I could get it out at the end of the season. I bought a new 7500' roll of the 8 mil. I have valves on most of the runs, and have built a custom fertilizer injector that seems to work good. I am trying something this year with a piece of shock cord at the end of the tape so there is tension of it to take up the slack when the sun heats it up and it expands.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

9 hours ago, BigSkyGardener said:

I have mine on top. Lot of clay in the soil, not sure it I could get it out at the end of the season. I bought a new 7500' roll of the 8 mil. I have valves on most of the runs, and have built a custom fertilizer injector that seems to work good. I am trying something this year with a piece of shock cord at the end of the tape so there is tension of it to take up the slack when the sun heats it up and it expands.

I I have been using drip tape since 2010. First tape I got was 8 mm had lots of problems with critters eating the tape. I switched to 15 mil tape still had problems of the critters so I decided to go underground. I find the 15 mil is hard to use so I switched back to 8 mil and put it underground.

I am presently using 8 mil tape underground 1 foot spacing on the emailers and I have no problems. I also have red clay here and no problems getting it up out of the ground at the end of the season except for okra. 

For potatoes I put the tape above ground I found that the potatoes would rot from too much water. if you are having trouble pulling the tape out of the ground let it run for a little while to soften up the clay.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:39 PM, BigSkyGardener said:

@Deus Vult

I don't buy seeds from Baker Creek since their politics are contrary to mine, and the prices seem way out of line. They do have a great shtick going, I will give them that.

Some of the seed vendors are getting more for their seed weight than the price of gold. I really get ticked off when they try to sell 25 seeds for $6.95 and they are an open pollinated plant with 300 seeds in each one. That is why I really like Morgan County Seeds. You can buy enough seed to plant a quarter acre for $1.20.

Morgan County has been my go to for years. Recently I have bought some seeds from HOSS TOOLS. They are a little expensive but they guarantee their seeds. They state that they discard their old seeds. Have had great germination with them.

Not many people know that they now sell seeds.

• Like 2

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Same for me. I thought the 15 mil would work better but it was just opposite. I like the 8 mil better. Mine is 12” spacing also. It works out good for me because if I fertilize when planting, I like to put fertilize under the row. I open a fur, fertilize, lay drip tape, then cover it up and I don’t mess with drip tape til time to pull it up at end of season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ol hippie said:

Same for me. I thought the 15 mil would work better but it was just opposite. I like the 8 mil better. Mine is 12” spacing also. It works out good for me because if I fertilize when planting, I like to put fertilize under the row. I open a fur, fertilize, lay drip tape, then cover it up and I don’t mess with drip tape til time to pull it up at end of season. 

I inject all my fertilizer except for on potatoes. That's because I don't bury the tape on the taters and I do it with granular fertilizer.

• Like 1

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

I think each year I’m may start injecting fertilizer next year but so far I haven’t. If it would be easier on me, I need to do it. Nowadays I have to make it as easy on me as I can just to be able work the garden. 

• Like 3

Walked the rows this am and found some dadgum aphids on my purple hulls, so I busted out the sprayer.  Thankfully they aren't flowering yet so they got the full liquid sevin shower. 

I picked 4 cucumbers yesterday afternoon, first veggies of the 2020 spring garden!  Looks like I'll have some snap beans in a few days and my marigolds and sunflowers are coming on up.  Eggplants and peppers are looking healthy.  So far the bush beans are the only disappointment, but I'm sure there will be more before it's over... lol

So far so good.  I snapped a few pics while I was out there.

51920.jpg

51921.jpg

51922.jpg

51923.jpg

51924.jpg

51925.jpg

• Like 8

I had some help picking green beans this morning. My next door neighbor's daughter came over and helped me. This was our fifth picking and most likely the last. We harvested a five gallon bucket full. The daytime highs are getting in the 90's and the beans aren't blooming anymore and that's fine. This has been a great harvest on these and we have plenty put up to get us through. 

I picked a few beautiful tomatoes too and had one with my breakfast. I often wonder what folks do that don't ever get to experience the flavor of home grown vegetables. 

IMG_2014.JPG

• Like 6

Finally got around to planting 100' of Mammoth Russian Sunflower.   Put in a dripline for it and all is well.

I also fashioned an "aphid attack wand" for my sprayer.    Since my back finds every reason to give me fits when bending down, I made this to be able to spray the under sides of the tomato leaves with insect soap.    Heated up the wand with heat gun, bend it and held the bend with some black tape.....added about 13" of tubing that I covered with 1/2" poly to make it more rigid.  Tested it and man ole man, it works just like I wanted it to.    Looks like a Bulls @$$ sewn up in a China closet but it works and that's all I needed.   I told my wife I hope I never have to use it, but since the little buggers have already shown up, I will.

Here's my drip tape reel I built last year we talked about in an earlier thread.

IMG_3108.JPG

thumbnail (37).jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Moved my seed starts outside for a bit to let them get rained on then back in later so they didnt drown. It has been raining nonstop here for the last 2 days.  Hopefully there is enogh of a grade to my big garden that it does not pool down there and drown out my plants.

• Like 3

Well finally after 8 months, Dr. released me to work in the garden. Went out today and pulled some beets that have been there since November. Was going to till the Rows, but it was too wet. The tractor tires just kept slipping and making a big mess.  Need a couple of dry days to get in there but the forecast is calling for rain 50 to 60% for the next week. Just going to settle for a fall garden.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Yesterday morning I got to the back garden early before the wind started blowing. I sprayed my corn with BT in hopes of keeping the worms off of the ears that are forming. I saw Bobby do this on one of his videos and it worked for him. While I was spraying, I had purchased some Algea Defense (copper) that was recommended by a friend to kill the stuff growing in my pond. Since it depletes the oxygen, I could only spray half the pond. I have a duck sitting on a huge clutch of eggs on one side so I went to the opposite side. She should hatch the ducklings soon and it's recommended to wait 14 days to do the other side. 

I got my hoe busy and worked around my two rows of okra and the weed eated around the house and mowed a couple acres. It was really hot so I quit around 4:00 and called it a day. 

• Like 4

There is moss growing in the  top of an opened bag of worm poop from last Fall....is that a bad thing?  It was sitting outside and guess maybe it had a hole near the top. Can I just remove the moss in it and use. Does it mean maybe there is an undesirable fungus in it?

• Like 1

I went out this morning and picked the ripe tomatoes. My wife came out to look around and we decided to pull up the green beans. I pulled the plants up and brought them over to her on the back ground f the golf cart. My wife went through them and she got a really nice mess of green beans for lunch tomorrow. I tilled the ground up and it was a little damp to get it like I wanted so I'll hit it again tomorrow and plant some purple hulls where the beans were. 

• Like 4

Didn't do much in the garden as it was a shop day for me.   Built 2 Wicking buckets, ala Leon.  Planted one for my mom with Basil and Rosemary and one for my wife with Vincas.

Now she wants another so tomorrow I'll oblige and build another.   Mixed some container potting soil, sifted compost and perlite for each bucket.

Set them both in a frame box for the back deck.

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

• Like 8

Side dressed the tomatoes, squash, watermelons and cucumbers with only fertilizer I had, 10-10-10. Good timing, about 3 hours later got a good shower that last about an hour. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ol hippie said:

Side dressed the tomatoes, squash, watermelons and cucumbers with only fertilizer I had, 10-10-10. Good timing, about 3 hours later got a good shower that last about an hour. 

You hitting on errrryyything this year Willie. You are doing everything right this year while I have to make three trips to the house just to remember to bring my tomato plants to the garden. This growing old shit ain't working out so well for me. I need one of those small tractor/lawn mowers but my wife screams at me if I only suggest it. She says she ain't able to get it off of me when I inevitably turn it over on me. Unfortunately, I agree with her and that ain't a good sign

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ccat said:

Didn't do much in the garden as it was a shop day for me.   Built 2 Wicking buckets, ala Leon.  Planted one for my mom with Basil and Rosemary and one for my wife with Vincas.

Now she wants another so tomorrow I'll oblige and build another.   Mixed some container potting soil, sifted compost and perlite for each bucket.

Set them both in a frame box for the back deck.

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

Love those!!!

• Like 1

Fertilized my Jalapenos this am.  They are looking puny compared to my wax and bell peppers.  For something that's supposed to be one of the easiest things to grow, I struggle with em.

Maybe it's my soil, who knows.

Hopefully the rain holds off long enough for me to get in there after work and get a mess of green beans and cucumbers before it turns into a mud pit with all the rain coming in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boudin said:

Fertilized my Jalapenos this am.  They are looking puny compared to my wax and bell peppers.  For something that's supposed to be one of the easiest things to grow, I struggle with em.

Maybe it's my soil, who knows.

Hopefully the rain holds off long enough for me to get in there after work and get a mess of green beans and cucumbers before it turns into a mud pit with all the rain coming in.

Speaking of mud pits, rain here  for 2 days now with more to come!!

• Like 1

Stopped raining for a few hours yesterday morning so i got my cages around the peppers and manitoba tomatoes. I put stakes in for the cherokee purples. My spaghetti squash patch has really come up with the rain. The potatoes in the big garden look like they are still ok.  My long bean seeds are up and out but gonna let them get bigger before i put them on the arch in the big garden.  I got my first little tomato set on one of the plants i threw in the ground out front. So excited. I think those were german queen pink toms.  Did rain pretty good again yesterday afternoon but some sun today so hopefully the plants will dry out a bit.

• Like 3

Getting about 5 pounds of maters a day right now.  Way more than we can eat.  Fixin to get the tomato mill out and start canning.

20200523_132213.jpg

• Like 6

I went out early this morning to discover a huge hornworm eating a tomato plant. He got smashed and returned to the earth. I picked some beautiful tomatoes and decided to fertilize and put some epsom salt down since they are calling for rain for the next ten days. We can use some rain but don't need ten days of it. Later on, I killed a couple of stink bugs and three leaf dotted bugs. All the sudden the pests have found my garden. 

I went down to the pond to notice we had ducklings hatch last night. There are still a couple of eggs n the nest that haven't hatched and my guess is they won't because the mother duck has now left the nest. They sure are fun to watch.

• Thanks 1

Put a 2nd and 3rd weave on all tomatoes but didn't do any weeding as it's just a little too sticky/muddy from the bonus 3/4" we got yesterday......but I did find my first peanuts have broken ground.

IMG_3130.JPG

• Like 4

I had put out a dozen squash the other day since it wasn't supposed to go below freezing anymore. Frost killed them all last night. 😞

That was the second round. Going to go for round three tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.