The Bayou Gardener Family
Gymgirl

What Did You do in the Garden Today?

54 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

I agree 100%,MG potting soil ranks slightly ahead of gravel in quality. I use Baccto, but even its not as good as it was 3 years ago. MG is nothing but bark,sticks and pieces of leaves

I agree with both of you.   The last MG potting soil I bought would have been better marketed as "Wood Chip Mulch".

I used it in some seed starting trays (flowers) that never came up.   I guess nothing grows in just straight bark.    So I did salvage the next seed starting venture by cutting it with Perlite and my own compost.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ccat said:

I agree with both of you.   The last MG potting soil I bought would have been better marketed as "Wood Chip Mulch".

I used it in some seed starting trays (flowers) that never came up.   I guess nothing grows in just straight bark.    So I did salvage the next seed starting venture by cutting it with Perlite and my own compost.  

I paid out of my ass for 2 bags of Pro Mix, plus a bag of vermiculite. I am going to try to avoid all of the pitfalls this fall that happen when you use potting soil to start seed. I usually mix Black Kow, peat moss and Baccto together, but like I said in the above post the Baccto isnot  the quality that it used to be

Edited by 2010 National Champs
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

I paid out of my ass for 2 bags of Pro Mix, plus a bag of vermiculite. I am going to try to avoid all of the pitfalls this fall that happen when you use potting soil to start seed. I usually mix Black Kow, peat moss and Baccto together, but like I said in the above post the Baccto isnot  the quality that it used to be

We been using Pro mix for years. Best pre made stuff we've found yet, not terrible priced when you buy the bales. Miracle grow is garbage, every single product they make. Tomato Tone is a much better feed for both maters and peppers according to the results of my garden for the last 8 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ButtaBean said:

We been using Pro mix for years. Best pre made stuff we've found yet, not terrible priced when you buy the bales. Miracle grow is garbage, every single product they make. Tomato Tone is a much better feed for both maters and peppers according to the results of my garden for the last 8 years.

I use fish pond fertilizer instead of MG. Much better results

• Like 2

Most potting soil including Miracle Grow has a pre-emergent added to it to control weeds. It's terrible to use to start seeds of any kind. 

• Thanks 1

I have been using Pro Mix potting soil for about 6 years now and I have had good luck with it. I bought a bale several years ago and make sure it is closed up tight when finished. I also tried a bag of Pro mix organic  that came with a purchase I made and I saw no difference.

As far as Miracle-Gro potting mix the reason it's called Miracle-Gro is if you can get something to grow and it it's a miracle.

Edited by bigboberta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

31 minutes ago, Double B said:

Most potting soil including Miracle Grow has a pre-emergent added to it to control weeds. It's terrible to use to start seeds of any kind. 

no joke? (I know you ain't joking,figure of speech) I had no idea and it could explain why my germination rate is not what I think it ought to be. I use Baccto, BK, and peat moss

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Double B said:

Wow...did not know that. Well no wonder my sister told me  she can never get ANYTHING to grow using it.  Why did I not just wait til today and go to the nursery who makes their own good stuff? Haste makes waste, I guess.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rabbitproof said:

Wow...did not know that. Well no wonder my sister told me  she can never get ANYTHING to grow using it.  Why did I not just wait til today and go to the nursery who makes their own good stuff? Haste makes waste, I guess.

I've had MUCH better results starting seeds in straight perlite than in miracle grow.  Tried it as a lower cost experiment for hydroponics, worked very good if transplanted at an early stage. 

• Like 2

I am anxious to try seed starts this fall after finding this out. What a s****y thing to do, and it does explain a thing or two like certain cells or cups not having seeds germinate even after repeated attempts

• Like 2

Miracle grow does make a seed starting mix that I have had excellent results from. It obviously does not have the pre-emergent added and works well. I use a different variety ( I think it Is Fertilome) but when I can't get it I will buy the MG instead. Just don't buy the potting soil to start seeds in. 

Edited by Double B
  • Like 1

picked 2 buckets of rattlesnakes, got my first ripe tomato,picked squash and cukes, started working on moving electric fence from one end of the garden to the other. Humidity made me stop before I finished, so I have a radio playing. Coons know corn is almost ready just like deer and peas

• Like 3

That makes me think of my sister-in-law and her grapes. She would monitor their progress and say "tomorrow they'll be perfect". The coons would say "tonight they're perfect". lol

Shane

Edited by Lost in Lebeau
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lost in Lebeau said:

That makes me think of my sister-in-law and her grapes. She would monitor their progress and say "tomorrow they'll be perfect". The coons would say "tonight they're perfect". lol

Shane

That is exactly what I would say about my cantaloupes when I used to grow some......the next day(dawn) the resident rabbits would have had a feast!! They knew EXACTLY when they were perfectly ripe and would move in at the very crack of dawn....or maybe before nightfall late...we don't get totally dark here til almost 10pm during mid summer.

Whare all ya'll are? I get a little free time and ya'll disappear. Hell ya'll write sumpin'!! I asked this question last fall, but I forgot the replies. My favorite cantaloupe was SuperStar but seeds are nowhere to be found. I planted Hales Best, which is a fine cantaloupe, but fungus and other diseases are tough on them around here, especially since Cat moved here. I have some new hybrids ordered, and my 2nd planting was Halona(fine cantaloupe) but I need something close to SuperStar for next year. What is everyones favorite?

I put the hook n crook to work around the peppers and then fertilized them.  Next I changed the oil in my walk behind tiller. I tilled between all the rows and the purple hulls are putting on blooms. I cut a bag of okra for supper tonight. Mowed two acres on the zero turn and the mosquitoes were terrible. 

2 hours ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Whare all ya'll are? I get a little free time and ya'll disappear. Hell ya'll write sumpin'!! I asked this question last fall, but I forgot the replies. My favorite cantaloupe was SuperStar but seeds are nowhere to be found. I planted Hales Best, which is a fine cantaloupe, but fungus and other diseases are tough on them around here, especially since Cat moved here. I have some new hybrids ordered, and my 2nd planting was Halona(fine cantaloupe) but I need something close to SuperStar for next year. What is everyones favorite?

I have never planted any type but Hales....it does well for me and always tastes great.

I grow Ambrosia. I like it. I also grow Hales best. Very good.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

I was away for the long weekend and came home to good and bad.  Hub did not water the stuff i had in containers a nd they were all almost dead. 

On a happier note i found 2 pumpkins growing on the vine i planted on the hill. I also have a cantaloupe growing on the single plant i started from seed in the mulch area by my driveway.

I picked 3 peppers off what was left of the plant in the barrel. I watered it well yesterday so hopefully it will perk up and give a chance for the smaller ones still on there to fill out. 

I have not been down to the big garden yet but from the look of it i had better take my push mower. Ug.

• Sad 1

Put a permanent fence around the garden to keep the rabbits out. They were eating the peas and beans to death. Now they can eat grass, and can plant what I want.

Last week I had about 10 lbs of blueberries getting ripe, then the mocking birds took over. They found some gaps in the netting. I would find one inside the netting. I would run him out. Five minutes later another would come and I would run him out. One morning I found four birds in the netting, I ran them out, but they kept trying to come back. My daughter came by that evening to pick berries and said there were 20 mocking birds in the netting.  She got about a pound, no more berries. I know why someone  would want to kill a mocking bird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I picked 14 okra pods (yes, I'm counting),12 Asian eggplants, and a handful of Tabasco peppers.

Can ya'll tell me why my Tabasco peppers don't plump up?  Some turn fully red and are only half as wide and long as my pinky fingernail!!

I there something special I should be feeding the pepper plants?  Same with my miniature sweet bell peppers.  I can't even grow a California Wonder bell pepper to a proper size.

Have heard about spraying the pepper plants with Epsom Salts.  Any of you do this?  LMK.

Thanks, in advance!

• Like 1

I finally got brave enough to head down to the big garden to attempt to de-jungle the weeds. I did see i have a little bit of everything growing but the only thing ready were some purple peppers. They vary in size but smell wonderful.  I saw lots of flowers still on there so hopefully they will live thru the weird weather.

20200701_170120.jpg

• Like 2

Watered the herbs. checked corn. Its about 6 feet high now and tassled. Staked the tomatoes. they are fruiting and looking good.

• Like 2

....swam out to my tomatoes and picked about a dozen.

5" of rain in the past few days.   Time for the dryer weather to return.