Bayou Gardener Family

What Did You do in the Garden Today?

Oh man, I am paying a price for the last two days!!!! Its raining and a much needed reason to sit on my butt all day long....Man oh man, am I sore. Getting out of bed was a miracle. I hurt all over, even my hair, whats left of it. I am going to gave to make or buy one of the boogey-buggy's that I saw on the old site. Someone had built a butterbean picking cart. I have a Gorilla Cart and I could take the sides off, straddle it and sit down and my wife could pull me, except she is older than me and probably couldn't pull my old, chunky ass anyway. This is not just a bitchin' and gripin' kinda' sore, this is a miserable kind

• Sad 3

Most of our gardens are raised beds sitting over rock.  🙂  Soooo we use a lot of sheep manure and up until this year we were able to work it using a broad fork and a lot of manual turning of the soil but we aren't getting any younger.  We have a tiller for flat gardens but we needed a compact tiller to use on the raised beds so picked up a Honda compact the other day.  It does a super job and we got several of our beds finished in a couple of hours.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Normally I would be getting ready to plant next week but my soil is so wet that I can’t get my tractor near the garden. I doubt I could even pass my walk behind tiller without sinking it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Double B said:

Normally I would be getting ready to plant next week but my soil is so wet that I can’t get my tractor near the garden. I doubt I could even pass my walk behind tiller without sinking it. 

😂 My garden areas are still under better than knee-high snow. Hopefully it'll melt down in the next few days, with highs in the 40's.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yesterday  was the day. I ran the tiller over the garden again and put in my Contender snap bean seeds in the ground. I then watered them good in case it doesn't rain like it supposed to in the next few days. Crossing my fingers and saying a prayer that we have no mo freezes.

"gene"

• Like 5
1 hour ago, PawPaw "gene" said:

Yesterday  was the day. I ran the tiller over the garden again and put in my Contender snap bean seeds in the ground. I then watered them good in case it doesn't rain like it supposed to in the next few days. Crossing my fingers and saying a prayer that we have no mo freezes.

"gene"

How cold did it get in Houma, Gene?

• Like 1

If I remember right it was about 24°. Not too bad but bad enough. I hate it when it freezes this late in the season. I usually have my beans planted by the middle of February if the weather permits. That way I'll be picking while others are planting. Contenders are a 60 day bean.

"gene"

• Like 3

Good to hear about your onions Champ.

I started 17 trays of onions, 2 trays of leeks, and 1 tray of shallots yesterday. Now I have the itch to really get going but the ground is frozen so I can't do anything outside yet.

• Like 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.

About the only thing I can do now is maybe load the garden with compost....need to get some more bags of it,too. Way too windy today, or I would also get ahead of the spiders in the spaces of the vinyl siding on the porch ceiling and behind all the shutters. I never see the spiders....only the web masses they produce. Wind is so gusty tho today...will have to wait on that.

• Like 1

I threw my back out  Friday and can't even walk outside right now. It's starting to feel better and am having less spasms so I hope I can get outside after this rain moves out.  I did start my tomato seeds

My nephew and niece in law are here visiting from Tx so are filling in for me on the farm.  Thankfully , things are slow right now anyways because they go back Tuesday

I'm eager to get those frozen mustard greens tilled under  and the beds ready.

Edited by bordercollie
  • Sad 2

Tomato and eggplant seedlings are coming on up nicely.  They have their first set of leaves and are looking strong. 

Got my peppers started germinating in wet paper towels over the weekend.  Hopefully this method helps, because I have a tough time germinating them in soil. 

HOPEFULLY - FINGERS CROSSED things dry up enough in the next 3 weeks or so I can get in the garden with the tiller and get it ready to plant.  Made a trip out to the compost pile with a bunch of veggie scraps yesterday and it still required rubber boots, so we got a ways to go. 

3121.jpg

3122.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you Double B.  I feel much better today and could put my shoes on.  

My  tomatoes planted in the tray are starting to show themselves and everything else is on pause. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, bordercollie said:

I threw my back out  Friday and can't even walk outside right now. It's starting to feel better and am having less spasms so I hope I can get outside after this rain moves out.  I did start my tomato seeds

My nephew and niece in law are here visiting from Tx so are filling in for me on the farm.  Thankfully , things are slow right now anyways because they go back Tuesday

I'm eager to get those frozen mustard greens tilled under  and the beds ready.

Do hope you are better soon,Judy...glad you can take it easy some right now and hope the improvement continues!!

• Like 1

Thank you so much Rabbitproof. I'm being very careful . I can't wait to get outside.  I got my order in from  Morgan county seeds  and  have seed planting "idis" . haha I think I've viewed every garden and every interesting Bible video  on  utube.  

p.s.  I also found out it helps to sit on a stool because its less strain to get up.

Thank you and God bless ya'll   judy

• Like 5

I am sitting here on a very tired butt. Finally, it got dry enough to get my Blazer unstuck from the YARD where I ignorantly, no, stupidly tried to park it to unload some stuff and then expected to back out of said yard. It has been sitting since Monday since there was no use to continue tearing up the yard. It will need washing.

I ran the tiller this morning to try to get a place to two ready to plant potatoes. I will have to till two or three more times in order to dry it out enough to plant. I am running out of places to plant potatoes. Scab hit to last year due to planting in one place too many times. I am not going to plant as much this year. Most of old folks that I gave stuff to are now dead, so I guess I'll plant enough for us and our little fat buddy's family. TBH, I see the handwriting on the wall and anyone that is young enough to help out for their older family member just ain't worth a shit. These young males don't even fish or hunt, or about all of them anyway. A few do but it ain't many, and they damn sure won't work.

Get this: We have neighbor that lives across the road and up a short hill from us. They have a son who is worthless and I mean "worthless" as in "I would kill the little bastard if he were mine" type worthless. The damn boy rides up and down the road all day, ain't got a job(graduated last year) and doesn't even mow the damn grass. His mama does and its with a big JD mower, so it ain't like its a push mower and he might sweat. I reckon they buy his gas, too. He don't get in trouble, doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs and I have never seen him with a girl (might be a clue). I am telling you the truth. All the little moron does is drive up and down the damn road going who knows where and then 15-60 minutes here he comes back. I have asked a few people exactly what he is doing and the general answer is that he is just "weird." If he were mine, there would have been a discussion between my foot and his ass and he would have been made normal long ago. Oh well, I guess they'll be feeding the little dufus when he's 50 years old

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

I am sitting here on a very tired butt. Finally, it got dry enough to get my Blazer unstuck from the YARD where I ignorantly, no, stupidly tried to park it to unload some stuff and then expected to back out of said yard. It has been sitting since Monday since there was no use to continue tearing up the yard. It will need washing.

I ran the tiller this morning to try to get a place to two ready to plant potatoes. I will have to till two or three more times in order to dry it out enough to plant. I am running out of places to plant potatoes. Scab hit to last year due to planting in one place too many times. I am not going to plant as much this year. Most of old folks that I gave stuff to are now dead, so I guess I'll plant enough for us and our little fat buddy's family. TBH, I see the handwriting on the wall and anyone that is young enough to help out for their older family member just ain't worth a shit. These young males don't even fish or hunt, or about all of them anyway. A few do but it ain't many, and they damn sure won't work.

Get this: We have neighbor that lives across the road and up a short hill from us. They have a son who is worthless and I mean "worthless" as in "I would kill the little bastard if he were mine" type worthless. The damn boy rides up and down the road all day, ain't got a job(graduated last year) and doesn't even mow the damn grass. His mama does and its with a big JD mower, so it ain't like its a push mower and he might sweat. I reckon they buy his gas, too. He don't get in trouble, doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs and I have never seen him with a girl (might be a clue). I am telling you the truth. All the little moron does is drive up and down the damn road going who knows where and then 15-60 minutes here he comes back. I have asked a few people exactly what he is doing and the general answer is that he is just "weird." If he were mine, there would have been a discussion between my foot and his ass and he would have been made normal long ago. Oh well, I guess they'll be feeding the little dufus when he's 50 years old

Champs....got a neighbor just like that. He and his preg wife and 5 yr old daughter moved in with her parents last yr. or more...across the street near me. I am shocked the parents allowed that....my other neighbor told me it was because their daughter, that bum's wife, has MS. He does NOTHING all day....just sits on the front porch vaping and coughing. Once a day, weather permitting, he rides his now 6 yrs old's tiny bike (looks so stupid cuz he is 6 ft tall !) around the neighborhood briefly then goes back to the porch to vape away the day. A person told me about 6 months ago he got a job, worked 3 weeks, and then quit....his excuse was his co workers were not friendly to him...what?  He is a very strange, weird acting duck.....about 30(?) yrs old. The baby was born and is now 5 months old. The older parents, my neighbors,  are supporting them all....however, I think the daughter gets some disability because of MS. What  in the world is a disabled girl and a bum thinking ...that they wanted or needed  another child??? Oh, I guess they figured Mama and Poppa would take them in...like they did! However, these types progeny are nothing but complete manipulators....they know their parents will fear that the grandchildren will suffer (and they prob will) and can't stand the thought of that, so they think they HAVE to take them in. It is a rough spot to be forced into....I guess no other choice where one's small grandchildren are involved. BUT...how does it get to that point? Parent's got soft, schools got soft, church preachers got soft, govt got soft, drug use got/is out of hand, so what did we, as a nation, expect? Not all young people are like this...nor parents. However, there seems to be a ton of the undesirables....way too many for a nation to remain strong and survive....the media's influence has made sure of that.😠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Champs,

If this non-working fellow just drives up and down the road all day, most likely he is selling dope. We had a guy that lives about a mile away that had one of those crotch rockets and he would go back and forth up and down the road all day long.

He would get a call and go meet someone to sell his dope. Mysteriously, a local constable was made aware of this and once a little surveillance was done, the little fellow was caught. 

I hope this is not the case with your neighbor but my guess is that’s how he is making his money. 

• Like 3

When I still lived in Las Vegas we would have some people move into a house on our block one day.

The next day the cars would start showing up every 5 -10 minutes. The people would go in the house for 2 minutes then come out and leave.

This went on 24 hours a day. Usually in a couple of weeks, they would be gone or busted. It was an interesting thing to see. I sometimes wonder if they thought to themselves, why do we keep getting caught. 🙂

• Like 3
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
9 hours ago, Double B said:

Champs,

If this non-working fellow just drives up and down the road all day, most likely he is selling dope. We had a guy that lives about a mile away that had one of those crotch rockets and he would go back and forth up and down the road all day long.

He would get a call and go meet someone to sell his dope. Mysteriously, a local constable was made aware of this and once a little surveillance was done, the little fellow was caught. 

I hope this is not the case with your neighbor but my guess is that’s how he is making his money. 

I doubt he is selling dope. This kid is too damned stupid to sell dope, and he's be caught in no more than 15 minutes after his first deal. His family is well off for sure, but I don't care if you're Bill Gates, you do not do a kid right by not making him or her, get off of their ass and do something. This kid makes Joe Biden look smart

• Haha 3