Jump to content
Bayou Gardener Family

What Did You do in the Garden Today?


Recommended Posts

This shit is killin' me!!!!!! I am literally working myself into a stupor. I did finally get 4 rows of Incredible corn planted and I am going to try to get 4 rows of Bodacious planted this afternoon before the rain comes.

This new Maxim T&P tiller is a boss! I fell like the tail of a kite in a whirlwind. It has the big transmission and Honda engine and I have to run it in the "putt-putt" throttle position to keep up with it. Unless you are wealthy and want to show off and go buy a Merry or BCS, don't waste money on any other tiller. Get a Maxim and be done with it. Speaking of BCS, I actually entertained the idea of buying a few years ago. I didn't because of the lack of a local dealer and service, and the total price with all of the attachments that I would use was almost the price of a small tractor. The engine was priced reasonable, but it came with nothing else. One helluva' machine, though

Edited by 2010 National Champs
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Till it up, sell the tiller and go no-till. Your back will thank you.

  • Like 2
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I planted 8 rows of corn, 4 Incredible and 4 Bodacious, put nitrogen around 7 rows of corn that is about 10-12 inches high and plowed it in. Then I broke up a spot for a couple of rows of pepper. Then I sprayed that corn because the Striped Beetles swarmed off of it when I plowed it. I had to break up the spot for the corn and then turn around and plant it in the same day to try to beat the rain. I had ran the tiller over it lightly yesterday to take care of the grass and then started breaking it up at daylight today.  I finished a little before 6. I came inside, sat down to gt ready to showed and the doorbell rang. My wife was in the shower so I had to get the door. To my amazement it was my ass dragging itself up the steps, a full ten minutes  behind me! Tomorrow, I intend to do light duty. I have to run a powersaw and clear out a place at the end of the garden, some of which will be done from a ladder with my wife holding it. Please pray.

Hey Rab,remember me asking you about cilantro? Well, I pulled mine up yesterday and I should have asked you how much to plant. See, all of the pictures showed cilantro to be kinda' small so I figured that I needed a bunch. Uh, my wife spent most of yesterday afternoon  washing, drying and vaccum sealing cilantro. She was not happy. I helped her a little but she was telling me how dumb I was and you should feel guilty for neglecting to inform me about just how many limbs are on a cilantro plant. Ever eat the little flowers? They are pretty good, but I tried cilantro on a salad last night and it royally sucks.I am now going to plant dill and basil. I have 16 dill plants and my Basil plants outnumber that. I would assume that I have too many of them, also. Please advise

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hippie Willie said:

Planted Bella Rosa's

They are the main tomato for us this year. I planted only 10 Big Beef, mainly to have some to eat after the determinates play out. 26 Dixie Reds, 12 Scarlet Reds,12 Primo Red, and 12 Mountain Fresh Plus. I still have around 40 Bella Rosa's to go, along with 12 celebrities. Bella Rosa's are the best determinate tomatoes on the market

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

I planted 8 rows of corn, 4 Incredible and 4 Bodacious, put nitrogen around 7 rows of corn that is about 10-12 inches high and plowed it in. Then I broke up a spot for a couple of rows of pepper. Then I sprayed that corn because the Striped Beetles swarmed off of it when I plowed it. I had to break up the spot for the corn and then turn around and plant it in the same day to try to beat the rain. I had ran the tiller over it lightly yesterday to take care of the grass and then started breaking it up at daylight today.  I finished a little before 6. I came inside, sat down to gt ready to showed and the doorbell rang. My wife was in the shower so I had to get the door. To my amazement it was my ass dragging itself up the steps, a full ten minutes  behind me! Tomorrow, I intend to do light duty. I have to run a powersaw and clear out a place at the end of the garden, some of which will be done from a ladder with my wife holding it. Please pray.

Hey Rab,remember me asking you about cilantro? Well, I pulled mine up yesterday and I should have asked you how much to plant. See, all of the pictures showed cilantro to be kinda' small so I figured that I needed a bunch. Uh, my wife spent most of yesterday afternoon  washing, drying and vaccum sealing cilantro. She was not happy. I helped her a little but she was telling me how dumb I was and you should feel guilty for neglecting to inform me about just how many limbs are on a cilantro plant. Ever eat the little flowers? They are pretty good, but I tried cilantro on a salad last night and it royally sucks.I am now going to plant dill and basil. I have 16 dill plants and my Basil plants outnumber that. I would assume that I have too many of them, also. Please advise

 

A couple of basil plants will produce a lot of basil.  I've grown dill before and have 2 plants now fixing to bloom.  The black swallowtail butterflies will lay eggs on them and the caterpillars will hatch and feed on the leaves.  My wife used some dill leaves added to roasted potatoes that was good.  They will made seeds also that you can use for seasoning. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got 4 rows of Peaches and Cream in the ground and set the dripline and let it soak a bit.

Also turned my compost piles.   The one in back is the one I've started for next year and will start laying the grass clippings to it.   The other is the one I'll use for the garden this year.   Turned out pretty good this year.   Worms did their job.

 

IMG_5730.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got 2 bee hives today. I think it will really help my pollination. I have winter wheat and barley around here for as far as the eye can see. No real flowering plants.

Started the Incredible corn in trays.

Finally going to have a great weekend weather. I have to go to Bozeman to my daughters college graduation. She has her B.S. and got accepted to Tulane University for her Masters program. She will be going from Montana State to the University of Montana in Missoula. They have some kid of remote deal with Tulane.

I remember paying $55 per credit for college. Now they will let you LOOK at a book in the bookstore for that amount of money.

  • Like 3
Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is your imagination.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my precious Jesus, Lord and Savior, what a night!( not what you're thinking Buttbean) Leg cramps in both legs at the same time. My wife stretching and trying to rub them out while I rolled around on the floor. I started in the bed and was going to the kitchen to get a couple of muscle relaxers and only made it to about one step outside the bedroom door and I had to hit the floor. I thought they would never stop, just kept coming one right after another every time I moved an inch. Today, is a piddle around take it easy day. My wife is amazed at how I kept going for 3 straight days..................so am I..................I've dealt with cramps for several years, but not like last night. My K level is fine, Sodium,etc, all fine so thats why I have muscle relaxers. I guess I might ought to take them more often now. Anybody else have cramps like that?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Champs.......Yep, I had those same leg cramps last week one night.   But instead of helping, my wife just watches me flop and hop around.   You are right, you move an inch and the pain sets in double.  I just try to stand on it, but what works for me is to double up my fist and pound the crap out of it.  I am sure it's charlie horse cramps, but at 55, I am about to enter that age for grandpa charlie horse cramps.   i just survived my post 2nd covid shot yesterday.   Fished Guntersville all day but felt like $hit.  Only thing to relieve the soreness and flu feeling is when I'd catch a 30 or 50 pound flathead.

My wife gets the Jimmy legs at night but that's just uncomfort and not pain like cramps.

Oh well, all part of getting old and the Quarantine 15, or in my case, Covid 25.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Oh my precious Jesus, Lord and Savior, what a night!( not what you're thinking Buttbean) Leg cramps in both legs at the same time. My wife stretching and trying to rub them out while I rolled around on the floor. I started in the bed and was going to the kitchen to get a couple of muscle relaxers and only made it to about one step outside the bedroom door and I had to hit the floor. I thought they would never stop, just kept coming one right after another every time I moved an inch. Today, is a piddle around take it easy day. My wife is amazed at how I kept going for 3 straight days..................so am I..................I've dealt with cramps for several years, but not like last night. My K level is fine, Sodium,etc, all fine so thats why I have muscle relaxers. I guess I might ought to take them more often now. Anybody else have cramps like that?

Those legs cramps aren't a laughing matter, will drive a person to the brink of insanity. I mean, they too late in your case but still, you have my empathy cause them sumbitches hurt. 

The Mrs and I figured we get way less of them if we keep well hydrated and hers almost quit when she stopped drinking diet soda with aspartame. That stuffs the devil.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried 6 times(!) to answer Nat Champs questions about herb growing!!!!!....I click "quote" below his post and type away. After much typing ,if I have to backspace for any reason, my entire reply disappears. I am frustrated BEYOND measure. Hey, Champs, I will try again one more time maybe tomorrow....am afraid if I try a 7th time now, this computer may end up in the fireplace with a gallon of gasoline poured on it. I had typed quite a bit each time...not like it was just a few sentences disappearing.😠

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rabbitproof, This happens to me   sometimes where ever I  seem to type important information no matter where I am but... What I  have done -when I put a lot of time into typing something- is to copy and paste it  then send to my own email address.  It is usually there for me to retrieve and copy again to paste it where I want.  I also do this when I  find a recipe I love but can't get to the printer till later also.  🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

I have tried 6 times(!) to answer Nat Champs questions about herb growing!!!!!....I click "quote" below his post and type away. After much typing ,if I have to backspace for any reason, my entire reply disappears. I am frustrated BEYOND measure. Hey, Champs, I will try again one more time maybe tomorrow....am afraid if I try a 7th time now, this computer may end up in the fireplace with a gallon of gasoline poured on it. I had typed quite a bit each time...not like it was just a few sentences disappearing.😠

Buttbean probably put a curse on your computer because you are being nice to me

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was told any type of "statin" drug will usually make cramps  worst. Since my cholesterol levels have come down to a good range I stopped taking them a month ago and the cramps have almost completely gone away. Sometimes changing the brand name makes a difference.

"gene"

Edited by PawPaw "gene"
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 2010 National Champs said:

Buttbean probably put a curse on your computer because you are being nice to me

Ok...another attempt. LOL...the pitiful truth after all my attempts tho is that I am not loaded with any great knowledge on the subject🙄. I was just trying to tell you that wow, you are growing a lot of herbs....way,way more quantity than I think you need for personal use. I am limited by garden space constraints here, but even if not, I would not grow so many plants. My oregano comes back every year...have a  5 ft diameter round bed of it. The most parsley plants I ever have is 4 or 5.. it is a biennial but often bolts fairly early the 2nd yr.  My thyme production has been just so so...some years does not grow well and have no idea why not.  Basil grows well, but I do not dry it to bottle...I just use fresh....I maybe plant 3 or 4 plants. Rosemary I plant every yr now, because it is in a spot that is too open and freezes in the winter no matter how I try to protect it. The older 2 plants I had that did so well were in a place that eventually got totally shaded by a growing tree. ...never got a even speck of sun. I now plant it in the only place left for it that I have available....I need 2 plants only. I use them all fresh some, but I mostly cut, wash, tie in bundles to dry out...then crunch up to put in spice bottles. If you have neighbors who like herbs and could come cut their own that would be nice for all your MANY plants. Whew...ha, your wife DEF had her hands full dealing with all those herbs! This year I will try dill....love it when baking fish. May pot it...??? I have never potted herbs, but many people do so with  seeming success...or is that only the success one falls for on the internet!!😄  Everything grows so easily and well when Googled!! Grow just the amount and what you need to use for cooking,teas,etc. or to benefit another  plant as a proper companion plant. You will enjoy that....and your wife won't leave you.😁

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PawPaw "gene" said:

I was told any type of "statin" drug will usually make cramps  worst. Since my cholesterol levels have come down to a good range I stopped taking them a month ago and the cramps have almost completely gone away. Sometimes changing the brand name makes a difference.

"gene"

My poor brother could hardly walk after his doctor put him on a statin...for a cholesterol  of just 209!!  Doc said it was "preventive" measures...I would have sued him for malpractice!! They changed his med and the muscle weakness got better, but after 5 yrs he said he was going to wean himself off slowly for a month or 6 weeks, ....he did and his cholesterol stays usually around 200-205. which is fine. He eats well now...retired and  homecooked food for the most part now. Most restaurant and fast food are the main culprits with many cholesterol problems, I do believe.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bordercollie said:

Rabbitproof, This happens to me   sometimes where ever I  seem to type important information no matter where I am but... What I  have done -when I put a lot of time into typing something- is to copy and paste it  then send to my own email address.  It is usually there for me to retrieve and copy again to paste it where I want.  I also do this when I  find a recipe I love but can't get to the printer till later also.  🙂 

Judy....I have done that copy and paste to email before,too, but just have never had a problem with just mere backspacing one letter causing the whole whole shebang to delete. Like a nut, I just kept thinking surely it will not do again...but  it did!  I thought at first maybe I was hitting some other mysterious key by accident, so I would start all over. I just now tried to PM someone, and it did the same darn thing....however, prior to that I did successfully comment to Champs. even with a backspace or two. So I have no idea what in the world is going on with this crazy "machine" of mine. New and very frustrating glitch!!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I take Repatha, its not a statin. Its the ONLY one I can take for my CAD. I had a heart attack at age 43. Statins almost killed me because I am one who is hyper-sensitive to them, and I mean ultra reactionary to them. It is such that I had to force myself to take Crestor because Repatha was costing me almost $ 4500 out of pocket. Before Amigen lowered the cost by over 60%, it was a retail of $1546 a month. Statins actually changed my personality and made me mean. Big Pharma does not want people to know that. I have had no side effects at all with Repatha and it actually cured my chronic constipation caused by surgery scar tissue and all these other drugs that I take. I have to take something because my cholesterol level will balloon to over 400 if I eat nothing but oak leaves and dirt. I did the natural thing, niacin,etc (red yeast rice affected me the same as the statin that is made from it, severe leg cramps) and it was useless

Okay thinks Rab, Ima' take it easy on planting the herbs

Edited by 2010 National Champs
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My smart phone went crazy the other day too.. started showing 24 hr time and weird stuff like showing my location was Mena Ar and new orleans too. I do have anti virus on it but still will not do any business on it. My location thing on it had been turned off (not by me though)  ..  I hate using the computer for business too but the world is coming to that I can see.   The mail isn't any better though because things are getting lost  - especially bills , often. ( my Ark water bill was over a month late and I have yet to receive stimulus #2. Yes to 1 and 3.  Tracing it now.. oh and my discover was just compromised. I think we are almost over a barrel with all of this tech....  I could say more but wrong thread ..  

Edited by bordercollie
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hit the wall today. My body told me to pack it up and head for home today. I did have a majorly productive week this past week and it has caught up with me. I ran the power saw this morning and cut the right of way for a 5 strand electric fence, set out the rest of the Bella Rosa's

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I spread out the rest of the used heavy duty erosion control material that the bil let me have. It was some kind of heavy though and had to pull some of it around with the roxor and a chain.  some of it is 80 ft long and 10 ft wide.  It  also as a good many holes in it but am just using it for the middle of the rows so can  cut out those especially bad pieces with a utility knife later when I am able.  I'm using the lighter  striped landscape material for my rows. Am thinking that I'll put some cantaloupes  in the center using some of those holes. maybe some cucumbers too- although I can't eat them much as they don't like me. pictures later. 🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is a picture of the material.  It was all wadded up when I got it so it was a heavy mess then. I think it will save me a lot of work though. I know it will get hot under there though so either I will solarize the  soil along with the cantaloupes and cucumbers or will have to shade them .  ok so here is the picture... it s upside down  again and is properly displayed in my pictures.. wonder what is up with that? 

KIMG0241.JPG

Edited by Hippie Willie
Fixed upside image
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bordercollie said:

This is a picture of the material.  It was all wadded up when I got it so it was a heavy mess then. I think it will save me a lot of work though. I know it will get hot under there though so either I will solarize the  soil along with the cantaloupes and cucumbers or will have to shade them .  ok so here is the picture... it s upside down  again and is properly displayed in my pictures.. wonder what is up with that? 

KIMG0241.JPG

It came out right side up for me, Judy. Can you cut it wider off the planting rows? I do think it may fry your good soil bacteria....solarize (as you said). If you shade, what will you use to do so? Lathe style slats like the nurseries use? That is a lot of "wadded up" mess you had to deal with.....good going!👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is so weird Rabbitproof. It's upside down for me even in your quote. It's must be something going on with my computer.  - I need to do something about that heat.  No telling what the temperature would get up to in July and August . Thank you  🙂 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to help us enhance your online experience. If that sounds good, click “I Accept” or review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.