The Bayou Gardener Family
Gymgirl

What Did You do in the Garden Today?

Rabbit, that facility was built by the Frencg in 2005. It is the only research lab of it's kind in the country.  That being said, the problem for us may not be the virus itself but the indirect results are that the world is shutting down one lightbulb at a time. Countries ar closing their borders and shipping is grinding to a halt. GM has already had to stop production of one of their models because a part needed for it is not available from anywhere except China. All the borders around Iran are closed and they are already out of food on the shelves. 

There is plenty to be concerned about. Keeping informed will go a long way to making life as close to normal as possible no matter what the future.

Wade

Wade...oh, I AM concerned.....guess just not the utmost thing I keep on my mind each day. Guess I should say there is a difference between concern and worry. I don't really worry.. prob because there is not a thing I can do about it...ha, which always turns me off!! Staying informed might help....but I already know proper procedures for infectious and contagious diseases.  I will get some extra food/water in here, but I do that for most poss emergencies anyway. Don't have a huge amt of storage here, so the 2 of us would not last long, if a prolonged  situation. I don't mean to sound flippant about it....it is just not in my nature to worry extensively, I guess. I have read many articles and known  how precarious the biological warfare research is for years so guess it just did not take me by surprise at all. In fact, I was expecting it and often marveled at how  amazing it was that a pandemic had not occurred in my lifetime....soon to be 70 years. "Concern" for my fellow humans and say my prayers every day....then off and running around here. Pretty much my life in a nutshell!

• Like 1

I hear ya Rabbit. IJust for the record I will turn 70 in July. I am a combat veteran and ex-police officer. And yes, prayer is the best thing we can do on many levels but God would not have us be ignorant! I went through SERE training with seal team 2  at Coranado.The very first  rule of survival is situational awareness.  If you are not aware of your suroundings, you can not defend them. Right now it is not safe for me to got to Walmart. My cousin goes to that walmart. He had spent the last 20-30 years working in China. So many weeks there then so many weeks here. I don't know if he has just returned from there this week or a month ago.

As some have said, this virus may not be that bad but what it is causing is. Friday I have to pick up my son at the airport returning from the Phillipeenes. He was rerouted from China to Japan because of this virus. Now flights from Japan are being turned away. I'm not sure if he will get home. People don't understand just how close to home this is or can be with little or no notice. 

I just believe a person should stay prayed up adn be aware of what is going on around the world . Just because it isn't affecting us now doesn't mean it won't before the day is out. The ols saying holds true. "Do what you can, with what you have, where you're at!"

Wade

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 1shotwade said:

Congrats on the new place chip! I'd love to see the three seasons room since I am in the proccess of adding on a Florida room! 

You should consider laying cardboard and covering it with the mulch! Then you can plant in the existing soil and not have to do all the extra work! There's lot's of videos on you tube showing how it's done.

Wade

hey wade.  we are picking up the keys on friday, so will try to get some pics for you.  i am excited to dig the garden.  it does not look too tough to get the sod out once you cut your border.  i don't mind doing some of the labor now while it is cool.  once it gets hot, i will wait to do a bigger bed in the fall.   so excited!

i have been watching several youtube videos on getting the sod out for a new garden and tips to keep the grass out of the edges.  i am gonna dig it out, add compost to it and then plant.  once they are in i can get some woodchips to use as mulch on top.  i am going to make the bed wider than i need so i can mow around it to keep the grass at bay.  i saw a video that said if you dig a trench around your garden bed it will help with drainage and form an air barrier to keep the running grass from getting in.  gonna try that.

• Like 3

Tilled garden this afternoon. According to soil sample taken in December, don’t need lime. First time that’s happened. 

• Like 1

Potatoes are starting to come up, planted corn and  snap beans.

• Like 2

David you beat me this year on the beans. I'm still working up my new garden space. A couple more times running the tiller through it and I should be good to good. If this weather holds out maybe late next week I'll be ready.

"gene"

I'm just looking at it. There is some really nice winter grass growing on it  though. Still very wet..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Took out  the remaining broccoli that I leave for the bees. Rowed up a couple of rows to plant my tomatoes and peppers. Put post in for the rabbit fence.  

Gene, are you tilling up more yard?

Edited by Davidx357

My wife and I spread a truck load of chicken litter on the garden yesterday......just in time for the rain today.😀

My tomatoes germinated Friday, which makes them on a 4 day Germ.    Of course peppers are still waiting.

• Like 2

Set 8 foot T-posts and hung crop netting.  Then planted 31 tomato plants under it.  

• Like 2

Yesterday I planted 3 tomatoes, I planted my row of green beans for the THIRD time, don't know if the seed were bad or the ground too cold. Ground much warmer now and got some fresh seeds.  Today I planted a 40 foot row of G-90 corn.  This week I plan on putting collard greens in the freezer.

• Like 3

David, I'm reclaiming my garden that I lost to a camper trailer and a shed for a couple of years. I got rid of the trailer but had to keep the shed. Looking at my yard from the street I've tilled up the right side from the drive to the back fence. I also had some tree trimmers come in and trim the large camphor tree that is in my neighbors yard but was hanging over in mine. He gave me permission to cut all I wanted, and I did.

"gene"

• Like 2

For my home garden, I finally got a bed of potatoes planted and a bed of snap beans.  Trying contenders this year as they where pretty cheap at the store.  I took at a bed of kale and going to plant a bed of black beans after this rain comes through.  No time to finish turning over the bed before the rain on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimmiec said:

For my home garden, I finally got a bed of potatoes planted and a bed of snap beans.  Trying contenders this year as they where pretty cheap at the store.  I took at a bed of kale and going to plant a bed of black beans after this rain comes through.  No time to finish turning over the bed before the rain on Wednesday. 

Good choice on those Contender Beans. We do well with them.

• Like 1

I agree. Contenders are really good beans.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

Wife and I put up 10 qt bags of blanched collard greens for the summer.  Now I am going to cover a few plants in case of frost tonite.

• Like 4

Planted 18 Poblano Peppers, 14 Trunchuda Kale, and 6 Purple Basil. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I planted 6 super sweet peppers that are a breeding project I have going. 6 Lemon Drop Peppers. 6 Orange Habanero Peppers. 6 Louisiana Long Green Eggplant. 6 Shooting Stars Eggplant.

I also sowed a whole pack of White Lisbon Bunching Onions into a 36 cell flat about 8 weeks ago.  I dumped them out and separated them.  Then I spaced them out individually about every 3 inches  into rows 6 inches apart.  It is a whole lot faster and easier to plant them out in clumps, but I like doing it this way.  This is the way I have done my Red Welsh Bunching Onions for years as they will divide in the ground and fill in the gaps.  I have heard that the White Lisbon Bunching Onions do this and I have heard they do not.  I guess I am going to find out.

Planted another Satsuma tree because you can never have too many Satsuma trees.

Edited by Deus Vult
  • Like 1

Feels Like  Spring Here.  Highs temps in the 70's, Low temps around 60.   Planted 2 more tomatoes, 6  cosmos, 6 nasturtiums, and 6 marigold seedlings.  Sowed in cells Hungarian sweet peppers, Charleston Belle peppers, and Lipstick peppers.  Potatoes are starting to break ground, Still waiting on the corn and green beans to pop up. Gold finches are starting to get more color, the cardinals have started singing, just waiting for the mocking birds to start calling.  Feels Like Spring

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Watered my 4 flats of tomatoes and peppers.   The peppers are finally starting to appear.   I didn't count the tomato germ but it looks to be about 98%, and I'll take that any day.

I just watered today but will start with some weak Miracle Grow next time.

And..............FINALLY ran the tiller in the garden.   I just told my wife that when I woke today, I sure didn't figure I'd of been able to till the whole garden.  After hooking up the tiller, I just drove around the garden, watching the tracks and how still moist it was.    My guess was I could till about half, but you know how it goes, I just kept tilling and tilling and grinning and grinning.

I'll till it again tomorrow after some drying as we have some rain coming Tuesday.   Might even plant some snow peas I had from last year that I couldn't plant then.

Garden this year will be around 90'x120'.

IMG_2709.JPG

Edited by ccat
  • Like 5

Hooked up the ATV spray tank and hit the garden plot with glyphosate.  Normally, I 'd just plow all the weeds under but it's still too wet to get in there with the tractor and I can't stand looking at all those weeds.  My tomato seedlings are growing like mad, I cant seem to raise the light up fast enough.  It's about time to thin them out and add more soil to their containers.

The peppers are starting to poke through.  It always amazes me how much slower they are to come up than other stuff.  Even on a heat mat. 

Hopefully now that everything is greening up, the ground will start to dry out quicker and I can get everything plowed up and planted by the end of the month.  We are about at our last frost date.  I'm enjoying seeing folks getting started on their spring gardens. 

3920tomatoes.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m with you on the sprayer. Was checking mine out yesterday to be ready to spray when I’m ready, but pump not pumping. Taking dog to vet this morning so when I get back will have to check it out. My few little tomatoes are looking pretty good, but I’m still afraid to set anything out before closer to end of month. 

Edited by ol hippie
Added a line
  • Like 1