The Bayou Gardener Family
Double B

What Will You Plant?

This spring I am planting:

G-90 sweet corn, Hickory King Corn (yellow), zipper cream peas, top pick purple hulls, Louisiana green velvet okra, Dixie Lee butterpeas (green), yellow  squash, zucchini, giant sunflowers, health kick paste tomatoes, park whopper tomatoes, celebrity tomatoes, and blue lake green beans. 

What are yall planting this this coming year?

• Like 1

Compari and big beef tomatoes

Cali wonder and another type of bell pepper

Silver king corn if I can find some open ground in town. 

Dragon fruit from the dining room to outside. 

Along with greens in the lettuce houses

Blue Lake Green Beans, Detroit Dark Red Beets, Early Wonder Tall Top Beets, Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbages, New Kuroda Carrots.  

This will be a very LATE winter garden that morphs into the Spring season, since I just planted seed trays (until midnight last night) with beets, cabbages, kale, & collards).  I'm praying to grow them up fast in the house, and have them transplanted into the garden by January 17th.

• Like 2

Apparently my cheese is sliding off the cracker. I failed to list the peppers. I'll be also growing, dragon cayenne, chili pequin, long thin cayenne, Anaheim, mucho nacho jalapeño, tobasco and others that I can find plants for. Gotta have the pepper sauce!

Don’t know yet which or how much of each I’ll plant, but I already have seed for top pick purple hull, top pick creams, whipporwills, Dixie lee butter peas, some running butter beans and blue lake pole beans. Will set out a few Bonnie original tomato plants and a couple dragon cayenne and habanero pepper plants. Also hoping to try a few peppers from seed for first time. I forgot also have field corn seed.

Edited by ol hippie
Add corn seed to list.

The way it is going now, looks like no garden again this year

• Sad 1

Bob Guidry

Retired Fire Fighter

Easleyville, LA

Bigboberta,

Why no garden this year?  Hope your health is holding out, and, it's some other reason.

Already got my tomatoes germinating and include: yellow pear, black cherry, German red strawberry, carbon, kellogs breakfast, summer de Gallo, Rosa Bella, marglobe, and blush and betalux.  Trying to use up my tomato seeds this year.  Ran out of prudens purple seeds so going to try taking some cuttings from the plants that are in the greenhouse right now. 

For the spring, I will be doing the usual peppers (sweet and hot), eggplant, corn, potatoes (Irish and sweet), green beans (most likely Jade II and blue lake), peas, Lima beans, melon, squash, and herbs.  I need to figure out the varieties yet though.  I'll start most of these after Christmas.  I'm kind of getting a stockpile of dried and sauces of hot peppers so might cut back some on them.  

I'm going to wait for the summer (end of June / beginning July) for my field peas.  Almost all my beds will be planted with field peas as a cover crop and peas for drying and freezing.  I would like to grow so many that I need an electric shucker.  My only problem with the field peas is they seem to attract the stinkbugs.

Edited by Jimmiec
Edit tomato list
  • Like 2

Creole tomatoes, Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, dasher 2 cukes, blue lake beans (not sure yet pole or bush), top pick purple hulls, Louisiana green velvet okra, jalapenos, hot Hungarian  wax peppers, Giant Marconi peppers, Japanese eggplant, Louisiana green eggplant, and I'll be experimenting with some kind of SVB resistant zucchini.

• Like 2

Red Ripper crowder peas. Kentucky wonder pole beans, jalapeno, sweet banana, and another kind of pepper that  I will decide later,  Big Boy, Better Boy, Rutgers, Brandywine, and another heirloom to be decided later, lettuce in early spring, another something (maybe cantaloupe??) I always throw in a few herbs, and if I can find any room left ,some onions. Smallish garden....not room for a whole lot. I may have to leave off the cantaloupe and even the onions.

I plan to plant kandy corn, blue lake pole green beans, Marconi peppers, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, burp less cucumbers, Juliet tomatoes; slicing tomatoes of some sort (haven’t decided what to try this year), purple hull peas, zipper cream peas, and of course lots of Clemson spineless okra. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rabbitproof said:

. Smallish garden....not room for a whole lot. I may have to leave off the cantaloupe and even the onions.

I would find room for onions they don't take up that much space. Inter plant them with your tomatoes. As long as you trim the bottom leaves off the tomato plants the onions will receive plenty of light

I find that cantaloupe does well on a trellis! 

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

Yes, Maggie, I usually I do well with onions in between tomatoes plants. I just thought maybe this yr I might try some things I have never grown before in any gaps that I have.. ...tho, I have not decided what yet.  The trellis would sure be a space saver on the cantaloupes...I have not replaced an old one I had. Bet now the prices would be dirt cheap...if I can even find one!  Thanks!🙂

I'm starting 7 varieties of onion and one of leeks today and tomorrow. Got them under lights and on heat mats in the basement. Can't go wrong starting them early as they don't require a lot of heat or light and I can always keep the tops trimmed to use in the kitchen!

Wade

• Like 2