The Bayou Gardener Family
Sign in to follow this  
1shotwade

Is your soil the problem?

Not sure I am qualified to educate anyone but I have a lot of friends that are big in the hay business. One of the father and son hay growers here square bales 400 acres. They'll make 14,000 square bales in two days. All of the decent hay around here is sprayed with some chemical or chemicals to keep it weed free. Pastora is probably the most common and keeps Bermuda grass weed free. Many of the cattle pastures here locally are also sprayed with Grazon. It's also on the list from the link above. All the "horse quality" hay and lots of the cattle hay are sprayed and fertilized after each cutting. 

My advice to any of you that receive manure would be to compost it extensively. Ask the donor or seller about their forage and see if they have knowledge of what has been sprayed on their pastures. As the article states, time is the best way to cure this issue but what's alarming to me is how small the amount can be to damage your crop. 1 ppb (part per billion) could be from drift even if it wasn't your pasture. Be aware!

• Like 2

Thanks for the post DB. I was hoping someone would chime in with just that type info. My only experiences are with 2-4-D and as far as I know, sprays of any sort are not common in this area.

Wade