The Bayou Gardener Family
Fred

Form to request pawpaw seeds from KSU

I just watched an old local tv series repeat that did a segment on pawpaws last night. Put them where you have some room, as they will spread.,and they grow quickly. I remember  singing the song "Way Down Yonder in the Pawpaw Patch", when I was a child. I also remember wondering what a pawpaw was.....guess maybe they were not prevalent in Ms. A lady on the show made a Pawpaw pie...they said it was good. The guy sampling the fruit straight off a tree said it tasted very "different". Don't know if he meant good different or weird different!!

Pawpaw is native here. I here most comment that it tastes like a combination between banana and pineapple.

Wade

• Like 1

Wade, it is supposed to be native here,too, (East Tn)according to the show last night. I would think a cross between a banana and pineapple taste would be delicious!! I may do some checking around and see how I might get to sample one.  I have never heard anyone talking about them here....other than on that old show episode I watched.

I've had them all my life but have never been a big fan. The texture is kind of mushy when ripe and they have a distinctive after taste that stays with you. If you can take a walk around a creek where they are normally at, they are distinctive as in having leaves that are very dark and are a small tree. Most maybe 15 feet or do. They grow in groups. The leaves remind me of magnolia.

Wade

The best way to get started with them may be to buy one to eat and save the seed. Or possibly cheaper seed of ebay.

Yep that pie the lady was making on the show looked like they were VERY mushy!! I would buy one but have never seen one for sale anywhere around here.

• Like 1

I planted two in containers about 1.5 years ago. They are about 3-4’ tall now. Not sure how long they take to start producing fruit. 

They are fast growing in the ground but have no idea how they will do in pots...or even if they will produce fruit.

They are male and female so I wouldn't try pots 'cause you don't know which one you have. Sometimes there will be a pawpaw grove long a creek and there will be 30-40 trees and only 2-3 will have fruit.

Wade

• Like 1