The Bayou Gardener Family
Vince6424

Growing a pineapple for the first time

Grown from a store bought fruit several years ago as a project for fun. Very hardy plant noting that it doesn’t freeze in winter here. Took 3 year to flower. Happy days 😉

66797962-3669-4831-9D17-84F96333621C.jpeg

5641F449-FD3F-4DC5-8902-3DE60A7972C1.jpeg

• Like 2

I grew one of those years ago! It took five plus years to get a fruit,

The pineapple was small and not very juicy or sweet but then our growing conditions for pineapple is FAR from ideal! wink15.gif

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

I do not know if I have the patience,,,,but would be a fun something ,if not too much trouble with feeding it,etc.  I really have gotten on a pineapple eating kick the past 6 months,tho.  I buy the organic whole and slice up myself. However, in a pinch, canned Dole slices  will be grabbed in a heartbeat!

That looks good Vince. Happy days for sure.

I started one last spring and it's growing nicely. I was talking to my neighbor who said he had one and it had a little pineapple on it about 3" tall. I asked him when he planted it and he said about 5 years ago. I've given up on mine.

"gene"

• Like 1

It makes an interesting ornamental  I thought. Folks around here that grow them told me that if you harvest and grow the fruit that has grown from the mother plant then it produces faster that the mother plant as it has somewhat acclimated to your local growing conditions. Fun project. 

• Like 2