The Bayou Gardener Family
ButtaBean

Hydroponic drip line and emitter systems

I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to save me some mistakes and time with a first time set up, will be using dutch bucket and rail systems. 

What drip lines have yall used? How'd it work for you? Things you'd do differently? Would appreciate being forewarned of rookie mistakes before purchasing all this stuff. The money is negligible but frustration may not be 😂

• Like 1

@ButtaBean when I first started I used the 3/4 inch black poly line for the feeder line. Then popped the hole with the tool and put the plastic piece in and used the 1/4 inch feeder line for each bucket to fill it. 

Since then I have started using 3/4 inch PVC for the feeder line and a top hat grommet to insert the 1/4 inch fill line. 

This way it can be removed and cleaned 

I will get a few pictures and go into more detail when I get home 

@ButtaBean

How many buckets are you going to have in your system?

In my system I setup this last year, I used 1/2" poly pipe as a main line with 1/4" lines coming out with drippers on each line.

I have eighteen buckets on each pump/reservoir. I started using the adjustable drippers on each line to balance out the amount of pressure to each bucket.

I found without those as a restriction, the amount of water was different at each bucket. not by much, but enough out of balance that I was worried some of the plants would suffer.

If you give me more information of what you plan to set up, I might be able to help more. I will find some more pictures of my set up and post them.

These are the ones that I use. I think I paid $7.00 for 100 of them.

s-l1600sm.jpg

Edited by BigSkyGardener
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

Here is a picture of the use of top hat grommets in am using.  

They work well and the line can be pulled pretty easily out to clean if they get plugged. 

20191227-073312.jpg
20191227-073306.jpg

Also forgot that in pops place. We went with 3/4 inch PVC and drilled 4 , 1/64 holes in the PVC line over the buckets. It did plug up alot at the beginning but has since worked very well.

We use a 600 GPH harbor freight pump and it runs 24 buckets. 

Here's a video of my old GH witch is now pops place is put together. 

It's a walk through but you can see that at this point we were still using the 1/2 main line with the 1/4 feeder hoses. 

I'm planning on 24-48 of the 4 gallon buckets for tomatoes and peppers, ultimately will be determined by how large of a greenhouse the town will let me put up. Also will be using 4" pipe for lettuce and greens, unless someone talks me out of it before then, same style MHP Gardener used in his videos. Liked how easy it looked to assemble and maintain.

• Like 1

I have been using downspouts form my lettuce and greens with no issues.. until today. We left for about 36 hours total to get my daughter, when we got back everything is dead. One of the downspouts flipped over and all the solution was drained to the ground. 

Well gonna be planting again tomorrow 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It happens. Still building. 

I will just chalk it up to a learning experience. 

The romane was so big. I picked 4 heads before we left and each one was over a pound. And looked amazing. 

@Cajun Hydroponics

That is terrible. You work so hard babying them along and something minor takes away all your hard work.

I did that this fall by plugging the +5v lead to the relay for my greenhouse heater into the GND plug. Needless to say, the heater didn't come on, and I had the Raspberry pi computer that monitors everything on the bench updating the software, so no alarms.

If you're like me, you seldom make the same mistakes twice. Live and learn.

I chalk it up to experience.

I have a lot of experience.

Disclaimer: All photographs uploaded here were taken for my own use. You do not see any weeds. It is you imagination.

6 hours ago, BigSkyGardener said:

@Cajun Hydroponics

That is terrible. You work so hard babying them along and something minor takes away all your hard work.

I did that this fall by plugging the +5v lead to the relay for my greenhouse heater into the GND plug. Needless to say, the heater didn't come on, and I had the Raspberry pi computer that monitors everything on the bench updating the software, so no alarms.

If you're like me, you seldom make the same mistakes twice. Live and learn.

I chalk it up to experience.

I have a lot of experience.

Big sky, learning is what it's all about. At least that's what I am telling myself.. lol

I will have to put some thought into this for sure. I do wanna grow the romane and kale. And both of those were turned over when I arrived back home. 

The thing I am most worried about now is my pump. I hope I didn't burn the thing up with no water going through it for who knows how long. 

Oh and one day I hope to get the raspberry pie going here. It would save me alot of heart aches when I am at work montoring things. 

On 12/27/2019 at 7:47 AM, Cajun Hydroponics said:

Here is a picture of the use of top hat grommets in am using.  

They work well and the line can be pulled pretty easily out to clean if they get plugged. 

20191227-073312.jpg
20191227-073306.jpg

Also forgot that in pops place. We went with 3/4 inch PVC and drilled 4 , 1/64 holes in the PVC line over the buckets. It did plug up alot at the beginning but has since worked very well.

We use a 600 GPH harbor freight pump and it runs 24 buckets. 

Mind me asking where bought those grommets? They look like a winner to me.

I have two of the 960 gph pumps and several 40-100 gph pumps, hopefully will find a use for most of them before long. 

@Cajun Hydroponics

If you need some help with the Raspberry Pi let me know. I use them for everything. I will get my greenhouse cam going again in the next few months and post a link to it. not much to see right now. I can school you on building switching, monitoring, remote access , etc.

48 minutes ago, BigSkyGardener said:

@Cajun Hydroponics

If you need some help with the Raspberry Pi let me know. I use them for everything. I will get my greenhouse cam going again in the next few months and post a link to it. not much to see right now. I can school you on building switching, monitoring, remote access , etc.

Sounds so great thanks! I will let you know for sure. I am still a ways away from getting to it though!

On 12/31/2019 at 11:14 AM, ButtaBean said:

Mind me asking where bought those grommets? They look like a winner to me.

I have two of the 960 gph pumps and several 40-100 gph pumps, hopefully will find a use for most of them before long. 

ButtaBean,

Sorry I completely miss the question. I bought them from amazon. Also I bought a roll of the 1/4 inch line from amazon. The one from lowes didn't work, the OD was smaller and would not seal. 

Check this out at Amazon.com
Hydro Flow Top Hat Grommet 1/4 Inch, Bag of 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IGFF2CC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_c4BfEbR0BW94B