The Bayou Gardener Family
Rajun Gardener

Gumbo Onions, Shallots

Is anybody still growing the Gumbo Onions from ChristinaJo?

I planted them about 2 weeks ago. They're starting to grow but they look like I should've separated the bulb. The bulbs looked like a normal onion bulb but they're growing like I planted a whole clove of garlic. Is this normal considering thy're a shallot?

100_5743.JPG

100_5744.JPG

100_5746.JPG

Edited by Rajun Gardener

That looks like onions, the shallots have multiple stalks growing out of the bulb. I think LakeRat grows some every year, maybe he'll see this.

I grew them this summer and that is what they are supposed to look like Rob.

• Like 1

21' X 48' High Tunnel

Knox, NY

@Rajun Gardener

I took a pic looking from the top view of two different shallot bulbs I've planted.

( Shallots all look like bunching onions at the beginning of the growing season, but later on they will form multiple heads and the heads will all form a bulb in fall. This results in a cluster of bulblets that are harvested and stored like onions for over winter use. )

Bulb 1

20191231_103711-compressor.jpg

Bulb 2

20191231_103655-compressor.jpg

• Like 2

Was that a yellow potato onion Chip? I have a few starts of a yellow but would love to have other varieties also. I know there is a white out there and I don't know what all else.

Wade

Edited by 1shotwade

Hi Y’all!

The Gumbo onions are suppose to like like the pictures above. I just joined and found the site....

• Like 1

Hi Christina,  I planted the gumbo onion bulbs I received from you in September. They are growing great. Thanks again. 

And yes, they look like the pics above.  

20 hours ago, 1shotwade said:

Was that a yellow potato onion Chip? I have a few starts of a yellow but would love to have other varieties also. I know there is a white out there and I don't know what all else.

Wade

Hey wade.  I started them from seed.  From what I remember when they came up I got both purple and white.  I think I have a few of the seeds left in the bottom of my seed jar.  I will mail them to ya if you want to try to grow them out.  They made a big bulb the first time round.  Then the next season I planted that and it broke out to a bunch of smaller bulbs.   Mr. Winterton calls it a nest.   I will check on the seeds and let you know.  Best to ya!

I'd like to try some Chip. I am not sure they will germinate though.  Onion seed in general is only viable for about one year. I do have some yellow potato onions but they are bulds instead of seed.

Wade

hey wade.  i think i gave them away already.  they were not in my seed bin.   :(   i know there is a company over the border in SC that does potato onions.  I will have to contact them to see if they have anything except white. 

• Like 1

I planted my Gumbo Onions in September. They are producing seed pods in February. When should I harvest?  I dug around in the ground and the white part is still very small. 

0A7A663D-C5B8-4B39-A9A8-C9140032D228.jpeg

Edited by Lonnie

I planted my Gumbo Onions in October. They are producing seed pods in February. When should I harvest?  I dug around in the ground and the white part is still very small. 

Edit:  found out I just need to break off the flower/seed pods and this will force the bulb to get bigger. 

• Like 1

The bulbs are not going to get big like a regular onion.  They will get the size of Hippie Willie's picture above.

• Like 1